CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-08-2008, 08:50 PM   #1
Corey Cedeno

Profile:
Late start to SS

I've been CF'ing for about five months now and while I hate neglecting my WOD's, I'm in the mind that a SS cycle would be in my best interests as an athlete. Not to mention a little bit more muscle weight couldn't hurt. I'm wondering however, is it too late to do SS?

I've been doing CF for 5 months now. I'm down to an 8 m Fran, 22 m Angie, 2x BW DL, 1 3/4 BW BS, 3/4 BW SP, stuff like that. Nothing much, but not what I would deem a novice and in most need of SS.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:20 PM   #2
Alex Blum

Profile:
Re: Late start to SS

It all depends on your goals . . .
Old 05-08-2008, 10:37 PM   #3
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

If your lifts have progressed far enough, SS might not be as applicable or as effective for you. It's generally catered to people who haven't really pushed their lifts very far yet, as far as I know. You might benefit more from a 5x5 ME routine or something along those lines. I've never done much outside of CF and SS though, so your mileage may vary. Just my $0.02
Old 05-09-2008, 02:10 AM   #4
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Fuller View Post
If your lifts have progressed far enough, SS might not be as applicable or as effective for you. It's generally catered to people who haven't really pushed their lifts very far yet, as far as I know. You might benefit more from a 5x5 ME routine or something along those lines. I've never done much outside of CF and SS though, so your mileage may vary. Just my $0.02
Disagree.
SS is for anyone wanting to get very strong, period. You want to Blackbox, go for it, many threads on combos of ME SS, Ying Yang, you name, people have asked, so search before asking, please.

SS works very well for me, plan to stay on the program indefinitely, as it WORKS.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:27 AM   #5
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Disagree.
SS is for anyone wanting to get very strong, period. You want to Blackbox, go for it, many threads on combos of ME SS, Ying Yang, you name, people have asked, so search before asking, please.

SS works very well for me, plan to stay on the program indefinitely, as it WORKS.
Then I stand corrected. Basing my comments off of something I believe Coach Rip once said (or entirely possible that I read it somewhere else) about SS being a "beginner's" program, as opposed to a 5x5 ME or something similar. Can't find the source to cite directly, so I'll just assume I made it up If it works it works.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:04 AM   #6
Derek Franks

Profile:

Jay is incorrect. Starting Strength most definitely is a "novice" program. "Novice" being defined by somebody that is capable of making linear progress (you can add weight to the bar every workout). You CANNOT stay on it indefinitely as you CANNOT add weight linearly indefinitely. Eventually the program as prescribed will result in severe overtraining.

There's a chance that at the weights you're lifting, you may be beyond the novice stage. But then again, you may not.

Last edited by Derek Franks : 05-09-2008 at 04:06 AM.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:56 AM   #7
Kurt A Gross

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Franks View Post
Jay is incorrect. Starting Strength most definitely is a "novice" program. "Novice" being defined by somebody that is capable of making linear progress (you can add weight to the bar every workout). You CANNOT stay on it indefinitely as you CANNOT add weight linearly indefinitely. Eventually the program as prescribed will result in severe overtraining.

There's a chance that at the weights you're lifting, you may be beyond the novice stage. But then again, you may not.
You wouldn't necessarily overtrain if frequency is reduced. In fact with the low volume of SS, it would be hard to overtrain unless your really hammering those squats, and if so, rest. Any athlete who has been training for a while will eventually learn to listen to their bodies, and rest as needed, or "go light" (deload) for a period. Sure, wave training (periodization) works for advanced athletes, but I feel you can progress on "beginner" programs indefinitely, just not strict "by the book" programs. Eventually, you'll hit a wall (plateau, whatever), you'll have a few bad workouts, drop the weight a bit, and progress back up and eventually pass previous records. You'll periodize your training without realizing it.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:59 AM   #8
Aaron Trent

Profile:

Give SS a try, cut back 25-30% on your max lifts and milk the linear progression for everything it's worth. I'll be blunt, 2x DL is not that huge unless you weigh 300+ lbs. Give SS a shot, if it doesn't work you can always stop doing after 3 weeks.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:28 AM   #9
Derek Franks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt A Gross View Post
You wouldn't necessarily overtrain if frequency is reduced.
And if the frequency is reduced, you're no longer doing SS. You're probably doing more of an "intermediate" program where progress is made on more of a weekly basis rather than a workout to workout basis.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:56 AM   #10
Jeff Martin

Profile:

Read this months Journal article by Lon Kilgore before making any decisions.