CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-15-2008, 12:25 PM   #1
Joe Cavazos

Profile:
Adversarial workouts

So, a friend and I wanted to work out, but we only had one 135# barbell. So we devised an adversarial workout that actually turned out pretty well.

Person A completes the following circuit (taken from the 2 Minute Defense WOD):
(1) 135-pound Power Clean
(3) 135-pound Hang Squat Cleans
(2) 135-pound Jerks
(2) 50m Sprints (out and back)
Meanwhile, Person B completes as many Double Unders as he/she can before Person A finishes the circuit. Person B's score is the number of Double Unders completed. Wait 30 seconds, then switch roles. Repeat for a total of 4 rounds.

Anyone else have any ideas for other adversarial-type workouts? I think I'm beginning to like them.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Re: Adversarial workouts

Way back when, before CFNYC had the Black Box, we used to do workouts in Central Park.

At least one we referred to as "Mugging Gone Bad" had sort of that flavor . .. 4 or 5 stations, pullups, park bench jumps (instead of box jumps), etc. If we had more people, we would just add more stations.

One station was a run (maybe 300 meters or so). Everyone would be working on one station at time for max reps, and everyone rotated when the runner finished. The faster you ran, the less time they had to score points.

(Or alternatively, the slower you ran, the more they killed themselves . . . both versions worked.)
Old 12-15-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

I workout a few times a week with a friend at a non-Crossfit gym and we do a lot of simple couplets like AMRAP of 10 thrusters/pull-ups. One person starts on thrusters, the other starts on pull-ups. We switch excercises when both have finished the 10 reps. It works pretty well when your partner is reasonably close to your own fitness level, so you can use the same weight and don't have too much downtime. Good for smack talk too!

Other examples would be 10 rds of 10 pushups/10 deadlifts, 3 rds of 15 cleans/400m runs, 5x 5 dls/10 burpees....The variations are endless, really.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:25 PM   #4
Barry Cooper

Profile:

I had an idea for one called Follow the Leader. Take a workout, say Fight Gone Bad, and call out a fixed number of reps, say 12 reps of everything to start. Each person does that. However, instead of resting, you keep increasing the rep count and keep cycling through, changing stations over and over until people start being unable to complete them. Winner is whoever holds on the longest.

The less fit people will of course get a great workout, since they only drop out when they can't hold on, and so do the fittest people. The only potential downside is really stubborn people might kill themselves, but that's entirely up to them.

An alternative might be to have an actual leader who does whatever movement he wants, say on a one minute interval. This could, I suppose, include cartwheels and handstands. Then each person follow them. If the leader falls out, everyone makes fun of their foolishness. Or they could lead for five minutes, then defer to someone else. If they commit to ten minutes of stuff, but you don't know what it will be, that will of course add to the drama as well. It's one thing not knowing what the WOD will be when you get up. It's another watching it being created in front of you.

If you had a ref, you could do complex movements, like clean, thruster, press, press, front squat, push jerk, push jerk, push jerk, and play it like monkey see, monkey do, where you get booted for forgetting the movement.

I think there are a lot of possible permutations, but I think this would be a very good way to keep a lot of people busy until they puke or fall out just short. It's sort of like Curves would be if they kept buckets in the corners.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
Andrew Gray

Profile:

I like the idea of doing a workout based on the Pursuit in Track cycling. The pursuit is when two cyclists start on opposite ends of the track and start riding the same direction, whoever passes the other person first wins (well, there is a set distance they go also, so if no one gets caught then it's basically like a regular race for that distance).

So I want to try a WoD that is set up in some form of circular circuit and your goal is to try and pass up your partner. Or you could make it a really big circuit with lots of people and make it so any person who gets passed is out and just see who is the last person standing. Good motivation to go all out.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:48 PM   #6
Robert Pierce

Profile:

From Diablo Crossfit, Versus:

Each athlete will pick one person to compete against. While person 'A' runs 400m, person 'B' will complete as many rounds as possible of:

10 Dumbbell Thrusters (45lbs or 25lbs)
20 abmat sit ups (use dumbbells to anchor feet if desired)

When person 'A' returns, person 'B' must leave immediately to complete their next 400m run.

Each 'opponent' will make 4 laps. When returning from your run start back where you left off (i.e. 7 thrusters completed before running means that you would complete the next 3 before doing sit ups).

The winner of the match is the person who completes the most rounds while their opponent is running.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
Tim Ozanne

Profile:

I did an interesting partner version of Fran at CrossFit Rockford a year or two ago. I think it went like this:

Throughout the entire workout, two 1 pood kettlebells must never touch the ground, take turns whenever you like for the work, switch whenever, but don't let them touch the ground at any time during the work out.

Partners Walk 100m w/Kettlebells- taking turns as needed to hold the KB's.

21 Thrusters, 21 Pull-ups (like Fran, thrusters first for each partners, then pull-ups. Take turns as needed during each movement...The guy not doing Fran is holding the KB's and vice versa)

Walk 100m w/Kettlebells

15 Thrusters, 15 Pull-ups (again, each person must do all of the reps.)

Walk 100m w/Kettlebells

9 Thrusters 9 pull-ups...

Not sure if it's adversarial or even if anyone "wins," but it was a good WOD and a lot of fun....

Thanks to CF Rockford!!!
Old 12-15-2008, 07:13 PM   #8
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wood View Post
Way back when, before CFNYC had the Black Box, we used to do workouts in Central Park.
I wish people still did WODs in Central Park. I don't have a gym membership so I end up doing a lot of my WODs either there or Riverside Park and it'd be nice to get others to join.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:15 PM   #9
Joe Cavazos

Profile:

A lot of these ideas are fine, but when I say "adversarial," I mean a workout where one person's performance has a direct impact on the other's. You can have two people doing "Fran" side-by-side, and declare whoever has the quickest time the winner. But your opponent is, effectively, the clock, not the other person.

By "adversarial," I mean something more along the lines of what Robert posted. Barry's and Andrew's suggestions are basically solo WODs that are ultimately compared to an opponent. Cormac's and Tim's are actually co-operative workouts; sort of the exact opposite, but at least moving towards the direct involvement of other people.

Another idea might be having two heavy dumbbells bisecting a certain distance, and taking turns moving the dumbbells via Farmer's Walks in opposite directions for a certain number of seconds (with maybe a few seconds for transition) until one person reaches the "end zone."

Last edited by Joe Cavazos : 12-15-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:29 AM   #10
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

You may be overthinking this a bit, Joe. Damn near every workout is adversarial in the sense that it gives you a result that you can compare to someone else's, in the same gym or all over the world. You don't need to make them more complex in order to get the element of competition going.

For the ones I described, all you need to do is time each person separately, and boom, it goes from cooperative to competitive. I don't do that because my workout partner is pretty new to Crossfit and it would be churlish.