CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 05-09-2008, 07:08 PM   #11
Patrick Haskell

Profile:
Re: Starting over with Starting Strength

Ha! I wasn't saying you shouldn't change Rip's program. I was questioning whether I should. After two weeks on SS, I already think I may be too far along on some of the lifts to benefit from linear programming. Of course, some of my problems are form related, so taking the time to get that straight may prove helpful to continuing on the SS program a little further.

Missed Wednesday as one of two straight very late work nights. The rest was good, though, as my form issues on the squat were being felt in my knees. With that in mind, I backed off on the weight and concentrated on lifting through the heels. I did better, but could still feel myself rocking forward on the later reps. I'm gonna do some low-weight work and see if I can't figure out the problem that manifests itself as I push harder.

Back squat 205x5x3
Press 107x3-105x4x2
Deadlift 265x5

I'm simply near my limit on the press. I'll drop back to 105 next time and see if I can't get a set complete. I expect I'll need to mix up the programming on this one soon. At least I have some 1/2# weights to help me progress slowly.

Deadlift went much better than last time out. I cut up a 2x12 and made some 3-inch lifts to get my bar up to regulation height. What a difference that makes. DLs still suck. Single reps are fine, but my instincts don't know why the heck I'd want to reset my back and do additional reps.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:00 AM   #12
Richard Vanmeerbeek

Profile:

I understand what you mean then. It's all about starting at the right weight I guess, so you have time to clean any form issue. A friend of mine started the squats at 140lbs to be at 240lbs after 6 weeks, and he does the sets comfortably. Patience and meticulous form is the key here.

I'm concerned if you feel the squat too much in your knees. Make sure to get that low bar position and to sit back far enough on the way down.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:25 AM   #13
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

I get the bar as low as I can with my bad shoulders. (I can actually get it lower if I don't listen to rips advice WRT the no-thumbs around grip.) I'm sure the knee issues comes from rocking forward on the way back up, after using the SSR to get out of the hole, when I'm using my relatively overdeveloped quads to get unstuck. I dropped weight to give myself a little time to get that squared away and to use the extra days to help develop more strength in the posterior muscles before getting back up in weight.

I might not have dropped far enough to lock the form in, but I'm not afraid of dropping down further. I may also start working in the front squat on the 2nd day, like in your program, as that's a lift that simply fails if you get forward.

The knees don't really hurt yet, but I could feel a little pressure in there below the knee, and I'm sure that's due to form wobbles under load. I have every intention of staying well short of the pain point, even if that means taking a break from squatting and starting over.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:00 PM   #14
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Giving it a little further thought, that idea of patience doesn't sound so bad. There's room to go on the lifts other than the squat and press. Backing off 20% in the squat would give me a week+ to work the deep squat form and strengthen the hams and glutes. I'm sure I'll be bumping up against my limits again soon enough.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:14 PM   #15
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Thought I'd post up some PRs to track progress as this SS cycle progresses.
These are all pre-SS numbers for sets completed with acceptable form. Some exercises were new to me when I started CF last year and thus the numbers postsed might be more neuromuscular limited than strength limited. Nevertheless, I wanted to put the 1RMs up for comparison and incentive.

Back squat 265
Front squat 215
OHS 95x3 (never tried for 1RM)
Deadlift 330
Bench press 185
Press 130
Power clean 155
Clean 175
Snatch 115
Jerk 150x2
Pullup 65
Old 05-11-2008, 05:48 AM   #16
Richard Vanmeerbeek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Haskell View Post
Giving it a little further thought, that idea of patience doesn't sound so bad. There's room to go on the lifts other than the squat and press. Backing off 20% in the squat would give me a week+ to work the deep squat form and strengthen the hams and glutes. I'm sure I'll be bumping up against my limits again soon enough.
Perfect way to go.

Can't wait for you knock reps with your previous 1RM's !!!
Old 05-12-2008, 12:51 PM   #17
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

15 air squats; 3 minutes jump rope; CFWUx2

First weight reset on the squat
165x5x3 - form pretty solid, still sometimes fighting a tendency to tip forward coming out of the hole - seems to originate in the upper back, but easily controlled at this light weight and was avoidable with good attention to detail

Bench
160x5-160x4x2 couldn't quite get those last reps powered out - will go for a minimal increase next time out - self-spotting the bench sucks, might take this one to a gym next time
(not sure about repping out that 185, Richard)

Power Clean
135x5x3 form a little suspect at times - squat cleaned 1st rep due to lack of explosion, used the arms too much for most of second set and for one rep in third set; will stick to linear progression on this one - sure makes for a good workout finisher - had thought about a Fran kicker, since I didn't squeeze in a metcon around the Mother's Day gatherings (unless you count herding kids AMRAP for 2 hours as a WOD), ut after the cleans, I felt good and worked already.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:55 PM   #18
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Started a new GTG - squat therapy. Thought of this saturday after reading separate posts about certs, squat therapy, and GTG and thought of this as a way to dial in my form. Easy to GTG - no equipment required, just stand 5-6 inches in front of a wall, raise arms in front, squat down without touching the wall, and hold the position. I'm totalling maybe 3 minutes a day in 10 to 30 second intervals, but the objective is to get up to 5 or 10 minutes/day of holding the squat.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:46 AM   #19
Patrick Haskell

Profile:

Got my new rings in the mail Tuesday, but first a little 6-hour professional exam Wednesday. I skipped the post exam beer run, psyched to get home a play with my new toys and gt in a celebratory workout, but on the way something flew off the roof of my car, leaving a nice 1-inch diameter rusty hole. Suddenly my WOD was sand and patch car for time, before it rains.

Last night I finally got to hang them and check them out. Did a few ring dips and started wobbling like a toddler first learning to walk. Had to try for a muscle up a few times, see how close I could come to a back lever, and bust out some more dips to see if I can't get control of those puppies. I can see how the rings will be big help for my feeble shoulder stability.

squat 180x5
press 105x5-105x4-105x3 - will bump this one more time before resetting
deadlift - 275x5

Shoulders were a little tired going into my SS workout, and I made the mistake of eating too much dinner, so even warmup sets on the press and deadlift felt heavy. Still managed some personal bests in those, though, so I was happy, particularly with the way I was able to hold the form together on the DL.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:54 PM   #20
Christin Street

Profile:

Congrats on the new rings Patrick! I got mine about a week ago but don't have anywhere to hang them at home so I take them to the gym a few times a week. Not too excited about them yet. They certainly are humbling, yes?