CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-12-2008, 08:44 AM   #1
John Atkinson

Profile:
New, Nervous, Recovering and Need Help!

Okay, even typing this is a little rough, but here 'goes-

My name's John, and I'm recovering from anorexia and a body image problem. I'm coming from a place of not eating for extended periods of time, working myself into exhaustion, and then binging once every 2-4 days, thus making my body horde fat.

I know tons about nutrition, diet, exercise, etc., I just felt like it didn't apply to me. My mind wouldn't let me utilize my knowledge, and it broke me down. I was weighing myself 30-40 times a day and it was cutting into my social life.

I've been slowly recovering for about a month and I've gained about 5 pounds but my body is maintaining it.

So where does Crossfit come into this?

I'm 6'4" and 177 pounds, very little muscle and body fat but I do have some fat in the stomach area that I'd like to shed. I'd also like to put on 20-30 pounds of lean muscle and get back up into the 200-210 range.

Is CrossFit for me? If I follow the workout of the day religiously and eat smart, will I shed some fat and pack on slabs of lean muscle? I also play basketball (daily), tennis (2-3 times per week) and semi-professional paintball (3x a week), so I am active beyond the weight room.

Will CrossFit make me lean? I desperatly want a 6-pack by summer.

Basically, I need exercise as a large factor in my life to maintain some sort of mental stability. Will I get noticable results with CrossFit? I don't want to have to spend hours in the weight room but I still want results.

Is CrossFit for me?

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2008, 09:18 AM   #2
Sean McDaniel

Profile:
Re: New, Nervous, Recovering and Need Help!

You need to eat. A lot. People without any sort of disorder have difficulty understanding the amount of food they need to eat in order to recover from high intensity workouts.

Will CrossFit make you lean? You're already lean - 6'4" and 177 borders on gaunt. CrossFit can make you stronger and healthier, if you get enough food and sleep to support the work.

One additional note. You say that you're recovering, but don't mention whether you're currently in therapy. If not, look into it. Phrases like "have some fat in the stomach area that I'd like to shed" and "I desperatly want a 6-pack by summer" don't sound like healthy goals for a recovering anorexic. Your goals should revolve around enjoying exercise, building strength, increasing health, and should have nothing whatsoever to do with a mirror.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:23 AM   #3
Tim Newsome

Profile:

Good for you for facing your problems head on.
At 6'4", 177lb, you're probably not carrying a whole lot of fat in the first place. I'm 6'0", 150lb and naturally skinny as a rail.
Since starting Crossfit, I've definitely gotten more muscle definition just about everywhere, including my abs. I've got a bad back so I'm only doing 2-3 heavily scaled workouts a week. If I can get results like that, then you should be able to do better.
Having said that, do yourself a favor and start with a week of puppies workouts (see BrandX site) to see how your body handles it. It sounds like you're pretty active already, so you might not want or need the full 3/1 schedule either.
CrossFit will build up some muscle, and should make you a lot stronger in basketball, tennis, and paintball.
It's not going to do much to get rid of any excess fat, though. Diet is the key to that. People here like the Zone. I'm not committed enough to do that.

Sorry for the rambling. Do CrossFit because it'll make you fit. Eat and recover correctly to lose fat.

Tim
Old 03-12-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
John Atkinson

Profile:

I tend to eat awfully clean as it is (high protein/quality carbs/omega-3/6 fats), but I'm trying not to focus 24/7 on every calorie and gram that goes into my body.

Id I just focus on eating clean, will I be able to trim a bit of fat? I know I have to create a calorie defecit but I also want to pack on some muscle and not worry about eating junk every once and a while (I am a kid, after all). My plan is to CrossFit and follow it up with basketball/other activity to keep lean but build quality muscle. Combine that with some pretty good eating habits and I'm hoping do ditch my obsession with weight, food and scales and look great to boot.

And thanks so much for the advice man!
Old 03-12-2008, 09:38 AM   #5
John Atkinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McDaniel View Post
One additional note. You say that you're recovering, but don't mention whether you're currently in therapy. If not, look into it. Phrases like "have some fat in the stomach area that I'd like to shed" and "I desperatly want a 6-pack by summer" don't sound like healthy goals for a recovering anorexic. Your goals should revolve around enjoying exercise, building strength, increasing health, and should have nothing whatsoever to do with a mirror.
I am currently involved in therapy for it.

It's a process, I'm hoping this can help.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
Matt Unthank

Profile:

Crossfit is an excellent community for you to become a part of, I think you will find the support here you need. The principle belief here is we train for performance and function, not for photo shoots. With that said, I have seen far greater results with Crossfit in regards to body composition than any other program.

I would suggest reading Mark Rippeote's book Starting Strength, keep following the message boards, read the FAQ's on the main site, subscribe to the Crossfit Journal, and don't read muscle magazines.

P.S.-I got a 6 pack doing Crossfit.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:21 AM   #7
John Atkinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Unthank View Post
Crossfit is an excellent community for you to become a part of, I think you will find the support here you need. The principle belief here is we train for performance and function, not for photo shoots. With that said, I have seen far greater results with Crossfit in regards to body composition than any other program.

I would suggest reading Mark Rippeote's book Starting Strength, keep following the message boards, read the FAQ's on the main site, subscribe to the Crossfit Journal, and don't read muscle magazines.

P.S.-I got a 6 pack doing Crossfit.
Thanks for the advice man!

How much did you stress over calorie counts? That's the main thing I am trying to get out of... I was not doing homework, not going out with friends, not watching TV, not doing anything but focusing on counting the exact amount of calories going into my body. I would count dozens of times a day, just to make sure.

As long as I eat clean & enough, should I worry too much about caloric intake?
Old 03-12-2008, 10:36 AM   #8
Tom Fetter

Profile:

You might find the Zone ideal. Understand how to calculate a "block," and then determine how many blocks you'd need to eat daily for your ideal lean body size. Zone pays zero attention paid to calories, and maximum attention to the right quantity of high quality nutrition.

For SS, I'd start with the Zone prescription, and then add the gallon of milk/day that Rip prescribes. Don't focus on the calories, focus on the prescription.

Best, and good luck.

t
Old 03-12-2008, 10:48 AM   #9
Dave Matteson

Profile:

Congratulations on taking many positive steps toward bettering your health and general well-being.

I don't have a whole lot to add beyond recommending the www.fitday.com (WFS) site. A lot of people on the board, myself included, use this to keep track of calories eaten. Some people use it religiously, others use it to get a general picture of their food intact and to estimate how much more or less they need to eat to reach their goals. There is a section that allows you to input your height, weight, general activity level, and activities to estimate your caloric needs. Use it as a guide, not as fact, especially if you're in another nutrition program that has determined the amount for you to eat.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:03 AM   #10
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

John, I'm glad you are recovering.

All I can say is I would highly suggest you consult with your counselors and doctors about your exercise program. It's too easy to misuse an exercise program when your body image is distorted and you tend to be obsessive about calories to begin with.

You need to eat adequate calories and adequate nutrition to be healthy. You need to do exercise in a sane and life-enhancing manner to be healthy and fit.

I would be very careful with Crossfit protocols in your position because you are going to need to eat a LOT to support this kind of activity since you are already undernourished.

Whatever you choose to do, do it with with someone looking over your shoulder. You need a partner to help you figure what is healthful and what isn't, since your disorder distorts your perceptions of all that.

I give you major props for your courage and determination to heal. Nourish yourself.

Susie