CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-06-2008, 08:20 PM   #1
Scott Todnem

Profile:
New home gym set-up. Pics included.

This will be my first post, so I'll try and make it noteworthy.

I've learned a ton from everyone here on the CF message board-- thanks for all the home gym pics. I couldn't have put mine together without the info shared here. Especially helpful were Sam's and Eugene/John's from years ago. Thanks, guys.
(http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=14452)
(http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=12631&page=2)

Therefore, in an effort to help anyone looking for that last reason to clear out a space in the garage and go for it.. here are some pictures of my new garage set-up. It's taken me a month or so of cleaning, painting, planning, purchasing, and building... and especially reading up on how to properly install a pull-up bar... but here it is. And what a week: with Angie, then Linda, the Filthy Fifty, and Cindy, it's been well worth it. Hope they show up for everyone. Sorry they're kind of grainy.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...m/P1020991.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...m/P1030004.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...m/P1020998.jpg

The pull up bar I mounted was the "Home Depot Special" shared by many in CrossFit... plumbing pipe (48" long and 2 x 18" to connect at the elbows), flanges, 2x6's, and lag screws (2 lags per joist, 3/8" x 4" screws, if I remember right). I decided to span 3 joists+ and put up the bar between two separate boards... the bar then runs parallel to the joists. Also, I bolted the flanges to the 2by's with locknuts first, and put the whole thing together on the ground to tighten the pipe before mounting. The thing is bombproof. I'm a pretty big guy at 6'3'', 200 pounds, and I can still kip like crazy on it. It doesn't budge. My Elite Rings are put up on eye screws straight into the joist. Supported by climbing carabiners for quick on/offs.

The other items, including the floor mats, were deals either on Craig's List or from Fitness Factory Warehouse. No olympic platform or bumper weights yet, but the rack and space there allow me to do all lifts off the front. Or I can squat safely in the middle. Jump boxes and parallettes homemade as well-- real easy once you get the supplies, as Iím sure you all know. I went with square boxes to make it easier, then reinforced the insides with 2x4's. 24 and 18 inch boxes for myself and my wife to use. And no cracks about the exercise ball.. I'm working on getting her hooked on CF too

Sorry for the length here.. but I figured someone might benefit from this since I got so much out of the same type of posts. Any questions, just let me know.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:24 PM   #2
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Re: New home gym set-up. Pics included.

Awesome, I have a friend building me a platform as we speak.... I will forward him these pics so maybe he can do a pull up bar too!!
Old 03-06-2008, 09:52 PM   #3
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Looks really nice!
Old 03-07-2008, 07:00 AM   #4
Paul Hauf

Profile:

word of warning on the eye "screws" holding up your rings - Those can pull out fairly easily. I put up a swing (screwed eyebolts into joists)for my 1yr old in our kitchen, one of the bolts i pulled out after I swung on it with a rope my 5 year old wanted to use. Bolt 'er in and be sure!!!
Old 03-09-2008, 09:29 AM   #5
Scott Todnem

Profile:

Thanks, Paul... good idea. I may go back up and eye bolt the rings in instead.

Appreciate the feedback.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:33 PM   #6
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Todnem View Post
Thanks, Paul... good idea. I may go back up and eye bolt the rings in instead.

Appreciate the feedback.
Scott,

I mounted my rings with eyebolts by laying a 2x8 across three joists in the attic and screwing it down into the tops of the joists. Then drilled holes through the ceiling and the 2x8 for the eyebolts (I don't remember the size, but they were about the biggest and longest that Home Depot carried). I made these into "shouldered" eyebolts by putting a nut, then washer threaded down far enough that the eyes extend through the ceiling with the washer against the bottom of the 2x8. On top, I put another washer snug up to the top of the 2x8, then a second and third nut for locking. It's been solid as a rock for 18 months.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:33 PM   #7
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

And awesome looking gym, too!
Old 03-09-2008, 11:24 PM   #8
Paul Nguyen

Profile:

Pretty sweet layout!
Old 03-09-2008, 11:44 PM   #9
Chad Skola

Profile:

That is sweet. I have just started my home gym. I most of the same equipment or will once it arrives. I will post pics tomorrow. oh wait my internet is not up yet and I cannot do it at work? hmmm....oh well they will have to only be iphone quality.

Chad
Old 03-10-2008, 06:59 AM   #10
Norm Hoogerdyk

Profile:

Nice Heres a pic of the Glute Ham station I just made. I'm putting a thicker pad on the curved part . I found out the yoga pad kills when doing back raises!