CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-09-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
Craig Bravman

Profile:
Red face personal trainer

HI lm new to this forum but been reading for months. Im located in Gaithersburg,MD but work in DC. I have pm a few poeple but I was wondering how many poeple here are personal trainers in regular gyms and use crossfit. Im a personal trainer at a gym in DC but i l;ove how crossfit works and all about. But with an hour with a cleint, how do u do it?

I hope to get crossfit cert in a few months
Old 01-09-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
Jakub Marciniec

Profile:
Re: personal trainer

hey mate,

iv been a pt for just on 2yrs now and have been incorporating crossfit into my workouts for just about as long!

Unfortunately at the moment i work in a very very very systemized gym which dont get me wrong, its great but we arnt really allowed to very the printed programs to much.

Although i still incorporate a tone of crossfit, especially when the manager isnt around.

Your right, 1hr is a stretch for crossfit, especial for someone not that fit but often but exercises together, like a helen and then tabata something else ect.

I also try and incorporate as much education into it as possible, not to mention a good warm up and stretching afterwards, so really and hour isnt all that long.

Im joing the army at the end of this year but still looking to get crossfit certified mid this year if the American HQ guys come down to Aus as im going for a PT in the army.

Hope this helps mate

Cheers
Jake
Old 01-09-2008, 05:14 PM   #3
Elizabeth Young

Profile:

I do half hour sessions with my clients, works great!
Old 01-09-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
Jake Oleander

Profile:

im not a pt, but i would think an hour would be the ideal amount of time for a warmup, skill work, wod, and cool down.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:18 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Squeezing it into an hour is EASY.

First 5-10 mins stretching (5-10 mins)
Skill work + WOD 40-45 mins (45-55 mins)
cooldown/stretch (5-15 mins)

If the WOD is a long one like Murph or Linda you would cut out the skill work for the day. If it's something like Cindy (max rounds 20 mins) you do about 15-20 mins of skill work and then do Cindy.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:00 PM   #6
David Ristau

Profile:

I try to get my clients to come in early and start their warm-up on their own, then:

10-15 min dynamic stretching/skill work for the wod
20-30 min wod
5 min rest, for water, recover, and the chat time
10-15 min extra skill work, balance
10 min stretch

This seems to work good. I'm in a community rec center gym, and it can get crowded, so flexibility is key {changing the wod in mid stride has happened}. They are open to almost anything I throw at the clients, though I need to watch for safety {not that much free space ~ too much equipment/isolation machines}.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:11 PM   #7
Craig Bravman

Profile:

How to do you adjust for goals? lose weight, gain weihgt, nicer butt bugger arms, chests, etc
Old 01-10-2008, 09:43 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Strength is adjusted for by adding heavy lifting.

Mass (gaining/lose fat and muscle..) is adjusted for by diet.

Endurance/metcon.. just do the WODs faster and faster.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:52 AM   #9
Craig Bravman

Profile:

what about say a guy wants a bigger chest. Do u just add bench to workout or weighted vest to push-ups? or if u wnt to jump higherfor basketball or run faster. thoses types of goals
Old 01-11-2008, 04:37 AM   #10
Darren Shaw

Profile:

hey Craig, I own a PT studio in and have been PT'ing for about 12yrs now. Its only been in the last 3mths that I have discovered CF and I just haven't for a second looked back.

I too only do 30min sessions, which now am finding aren't long enough now that I'm needing to spend more time educating a completely new exercise philosophy - that is 'performance based exercise' rather than 'appearance based exercise' and its sooooo refreshing.

As for session structure, I think that the replies you have already received provides some great suggestions.

Sports performance will almost always be improved with CF, however, you obviously need to adapt the program to their specific sport. Having a bigger chest doesn't really fit with CF philosophy (although that was me once asking for a bigger chest and arms), however, again you can obviously adapt the program to match your clients needs/wants (as you have outlined).

Something to think about... a CF trainer said to me, that 'if we as trainers are not focused on making our clients better human beings everyday then we are not doing our job'! This really resonated with me!

My main suggestion would just be to read read and read some more on the forum and subscribe to the journal. its the best $25 you will ever spend.