CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-27-2007, 07:47 AM   #1
Soo Choi

Profile:
Pain all over legs.

After I run, or do lower body activity, the area around my joints in my legs hurt.
The front of my right ankle feels painfully tight. Both my shins really hurt - It feels like shin splints but it gets worse as I run. Around the top and sides of my knees hurts, my quadriceps feel really pained and my left hip also hurts. It is not really a sharp pain but is an all around pain. I can walk after but only with a lot of pain. It hurts if I am sitting down or moving. (more when I am moving) The extreme pain lasts for around an hour and then dulls to an ache that lasts a few more hours. I am 19 years old.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:00 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Pain all over legs.

If it hurts why do you do something? Honestly, I never really understood that. Everytime you run or do something with pain you're probably permanently damagig your body.

Anyway, stretch everything out and see if that helps. Point your toes to lengthen the anterior tibialis. Do a bunch of hamstrings, quads and glute stretches. Foam roll EVERYTHING. tennis ball roll the bottom of your feet out (as sometimes that can confer pain up through everything). And definitely REST REST REST. Focus on fixing the problem first rather than trying to keep on working out..
Old 12-27-2007, 08:52 PM   #3
Soo Choi

Profile:

Thanks! It was the second time I got it today. The first time, I wrote it off as major shin splints - iced, stretched and rested for a few days. Any idea what it might be?
Old 12-27-2007, 09:00 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

It could be major overuse or something else.

The other thing I would guess is that it might be tight fascia which is why I recommend foam rolling especially tennis ball under the foot.. since the fascia runs from the bottom of the foot basically up the legs into the back, etc. It's all interconnected so when one gets really tight all of them do.

Other thing I can think of is a pinched nerve. Sciatic nerve can do whole leg pain.. but it seems localized so I don't think it's like that.

On the other hand, it could be some sort of combination of all 3. No way to tell for sure since I can't see you or anything. Rest up and do the rehab work with foam rolling, tennis balling and if you can get someone to give you a massage or someone who knows ART that would be good as well.