CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-02-2007, 01:37 PM   #1
Steve Baum

Profile:
making olympic platforms

Hi All

I'm sure there is a thread somewhere with olympic platform plans/schematics? I've searched and can't come up with any thing. If anyone has plans on making platforms I would love to see them.

Thanks!

Steve
Old 12-02-2007, 01:49 PM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Re: making olympic platforms

http://crossfitsedona.typepad.com/Im...erplatform.gif

5 sheets of: 3/4"x8'x4' plywood
2 strips of: 3/4"x2'x8' rubber matting
40 drywall screws
Old 07-29-2008, 03:41 PM   #3
Justin Lascek

Profile:

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I have a question.

I'll be making 6'x8' foot platforms because the only stall mats that are sold in my area are 4'x6' (I'll be cutting them in half to make two 2'x6' segments).

I'll get a 4'x8' piece of BC pine plywood and cut it to 4'x6' for the top center piece.

However, I'm trying to figure out what kind of plywood to use for the bottom two layers, and my options are limited. The 3/4" CDX at the lumber company is expensive (~$30, while the pine is $33). So I looked at Lowe's; they have 1/2" OSB for $9. They also have some pine at 19/32" and 23/32" (which come out to be ~ .59 and .72 inches respectively) for ~$17 and $23 respectively. They also have OSB at 23/32" for $11 and Advantech OSB at 23/32 for ~$22.

So what I want to ask is, how much does the the thickness and quality of the plywood for the two bottom layers (of the three layers, much like Lincoln's picture in this thread) matter? Are there any cheaper qualities of wood that I should stay away from, or should I just go with the less expensive stuff on the bottom two layers?

I'm pretty sure on Coach Burgener's website he suggests CDX, and my understanding is that OSB is similar...eh?

Thanks for any help!
Old 07-29-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
Neil Khant

Profile:

I actually have a question.

Is there a standard for the width of the center board? I understand that 4' X 8' is easiest but is that what is correct?

I will be building some of these and if I'm going to do it I might as well make them as correct as possible.

I looked on the internet and I was not able to find anything.

Justin, Sorry for stealing the thread.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
Justin Lascek

Profile:

Ha, quite all right.

The dimensions of the platforms that I have seen (and I haven't seen anybody advocating smaller platforms than these) are 8'x8' and 6'x8'. For this to work effectively the width of the center piece needs to be 4' (think about catching Oly lifts awkwardly or needing to dump them -- the space is needed).

So I guess to answer your question, the 4' width is what is "correct", and the length will be dependent on whether you make an 8'x8' or 6'x8'.

Edit: Actually, my avatar picture has a plywood section underneath me. That's probably 4'x8'. Any more narrow and it doesn't look like my stance would fit. That's at CrossFit Atlanta, if you were curious.

Last edited by Justin Lascek : 07-29-2008 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 07-29-2008, 09:22 PM   #6
John Swanson

Profile:

I just Built 6 Platforms for my High School. We made 6x8 and used only 4 sheets of Ply Wood. All the wood was 3/4 inch and so was the rubber. We coated it with 7 coats of poly. The wood is extremely important IMO because its spreads the weight out and will hold up better over a long period of time. Also I made one for my garage and used treated wood in the bottom two piece because of the slight chance of water touching it. Also I used glue and screws. I can post pictures if you guys want to see the finish product.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:20 AM   #7
Neil Khant

Profile:

pictures are always good.

Also I had another couple of questions. I am putting this on Concrete, I was thinking to use only two layers, all 3/4inch. I was also thinking to possibly use MDF(I think that is what its called) for the bottom layer. Really whatever is cheapest.

Is there a reason that the design has three layers? If so what is the purpose?

Then bringing back to Justin's original question, is the base material important? and why?
Old 07-30-2008, 11:46 AM   #8
Justin Lascek

Profile:

I don't think the type of plywood is a big concern. I read on a plywood website (don't have the link, sorry) that CDX (or OSB, can't remember which) was strong, it's just that it wasn't aesthetically pleasing. In Coach Burgener's post on his website about making platforms, he used CDX, which is the cheaper kind anyway.

My question was more relevant to the thickness of the plywood, so I'll be dealing with what's available (it'll be slightly thinner than 3/4" at 23/32"). I'll get a nice top piece of pine at 3/4" though.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:16 PM   #9
Jason M Struck

Profile:

i think the soft, cushy crap Plywood might be best for the under layer. I chose the cheapest stuff I could find at Lowe's (the $3 stuff) and it seems to be doing great. I love my platform. Otherwise, I followed Lincoln's template.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:39 PM   #10
Justin Lascek

Profile:

Hey Jason, what was the thickness of your cheap stuff? $3?! Definitely not any of that at my Lowe's.