CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:49 AM   #1
Adam Kayce

Profile:
CrossFit videos, Work/Family Safe?

As a parent of an avid crossfitting seven-year-old, I have a question.

In the boards, we're adamant about labeling all links Work/Family Safe (WFS). I've even seen moderators remind people who forget to label their links.

Has there ever been a discussion about labeling the videos that come along with the posts each day? Because it's rough to have my incredibly enthusiastic daughters (my three year old loves 'em, too) want to see a video, only to have to mute it because the music and/or participant language is offensive. I've also got to preview each one before I show it to them, because of this...

I'm not trying to nitpick, really; because of the video on dips, "Snow (Hey Oh)" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers has become a household song. So has "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash (featured on the pushups video). They really love the videos, and without them, I doubt they'd be so enthusiastic about exercising. I see the videos as ambassadors of what CF is about, but the language is off-putting, at least to me and my family.

Just one CF'er voting to have a bit of the WFS logic applied to the daily videos.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:52 AM   #2
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
Re: CrossFit videos, Work/Family Safe?

Adam this has been discussed I'm not savvy enough with the new search function to find the threads in the archives, but I think a search for "mainsite videos" or "crossfit videos" may dredge up those threads.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:57 AM   #3
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Was a very lively discussion. And I do mean, WAS.........
Work/Family/safe

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...music+swearing
Old 11-29-2007, 11:20 AM   #4
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

I participated in that discussion before. Although I don't buy into the "this has been discussed before, and it's a dead issue". It keeps coming up, and I think if people think it should be different, and enough people think so, HQ should be told about it frequently enough that they may decide to change it. I'm not saying bug them, but I'm just reminded of the story in Luke 18: 1-7, where the widow keeps gently asking the corrupt judge for justice, and eventually he gives in because of her persistence. The moral of the story was that if a corrupt judge will eventually give in to persistent requests, how much more would a good and righteous father (God in this instance) give in to persistent requests for righteous things? I'm definitely not saying to prod HQ, but like I said, if enough people gently persist in asking them to tone it down on the rest day videos, they may change their thoughts on the subject. Especially since there's no loss to them to just use clean music or words.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:25 PM   #5
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

I didnt read the other thread, so I'm sorry if this comes out blunt or something,

but why can't you mute the video while watching it? and/or put some other music that you find to be more appropriate for the audience you're showing it to?

Even me sometimes I hate the music that they put in the vids ( too much metalish/rockish in my taste ), but I just mute it, and bring back one crazy beat

Rarelly we hear them talking on the vids, it's usually some music.

Just curious

Last edited by Frederic Giraud : 11-29-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
Adam Kayce

Profile:

Thanks... I tried searching, but didn't know how to whittle it down ("video" is a huge topic). And thanks, Jay, for the link... (if anyone else goes to check it out, let me save you twenty minutes of reading, and direct you to page 14... see what Dale and Tony wrote, and you've got the best of it, imho)

My intent is not to bring up the choice-of-music issue; that was discussed at length. :deadhorse: My intent is to ask for a WFS/NWFS label, that's all.

And in case Tony should see this: The quality of the videos is amazing; we love 'em. Last thing I want to tell you is how to do your job. I'd just like to know ahead of time if there's something NC-17 rated in them (and that didn't seem answered in the previous thread).

(Oh, and Dale, if you're out there, after reading that thread, I'd love to shake your hand someday.)
Old 11-29-2007, 12:37 PM   #7
Adam Kayce

Profile:

Quote:
but why can't you mute the video while watching it?
I can. But lots of times, the music is great (subjective opinion, I realize), and, then you miss the voice (like in today's kipping lesson from Annie).

The WFS/NWFS label solves the whole problem.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:48 PM   #8
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

It also adds more work to the webmaster, and the coder and the person who will upload and post the WoD (I'm a webmaster). Even though if in your opinion it's "only adding 1 line of text", believe me that behind it there's more if you want it to be automatic and all that good stuff.

Also take into consideration that the forums ( this site ) and the main page are two completely different entity . Rules are always set on forums in order to keep it civilized between us humans. But for the main page, it's another story, they set their own rules, what they show, what they post.

One last point. All this is free. Ya might sound like a cheap point but if you go back to my first point you'll see the consequence.

Personnally and no offense, I find it to be asking a bit too much from the Glassman and all that are working hard enough already to maintain such an huge site.

my 0.02 CA cents
Old 11-29-2007, 01:47 PM   #9
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederic Giraud View Post
It also adds more work to the webmaster, and the coder and the person who will upload and post the WoD (I'm a webmaster). Even though if in your opinion it's "only adding 1 line of text", believe me that behind it there's more if you want it to be automatic and all that good stuff.

Also take into consideration that the forums ( this site ) and the main page are two completely different entity . Rules are always set on forums in order to keep it civilized between us humans. But for the main page, it's another story, they set their own rules, what they show, what they post.

One last point. All this is free. Ya might sound like a cheap point but if you go back to my first point you'll see the consequence.

Personnally and no offense, I find it to be asking a bit too much from the Glassman and all that are working hard enough already to maintain such an huge site.

my 0.02 CA cents
Yes it's free, and it's a free market. I know Glassmans want to provide the best stinkin' service they can without overly burdening themselves, and if the marketplace doesn't talk to them to let them know what they want, how will their business model ever adapt?
Old 11-29-2007, 01:50 PM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

Frederic -- but it is only one line of code. In fact, front page videos would only require 3-4 letters after the video. "NWFS" or "WFS".

Changing up the FAQ would be a different story though, but I think most people are talking about the newer videos that are teaching stuff that come up almost every WOD.