CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 07-28-2006, 07:43 AM   #1
Nick Cruz

Profile:
My son is 5 now and we are looking to start him in some classes for martial arts. What type of class to put him in. Is a traditional karate dojo sufficient or would it be better to start him on something else more well rounded? Any recommendations for the North Orange County CA area?

Thank you!
Old 07-28-2006, 10:57 AM   #2
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
Pee Wee Wresting

Judo

Muay Thai, 5 years old isn't too young if the trainer knows how to teach kids and takes proper safety measures.

Kyokushin Karate, or any of the offshoots would also be good.

Old 07-28-2006, 01:09 PM   #3
Michael Ernest Estrada

Profile:
Nick, my son is 7 now and he is a yellow belt in brazilian Jiu-jitsu. He is into wrestling also.I started him at 6 so 5 is not to young, just keep it short and fun.They pick things up fast.

Michael Estrada
Maguilla BJJ
Old 07-28-2006, 01:35 PM   #4
Mark Dowst

Profile:
The best thing Karate did was introduce me to BJJ. The grappling arts are very physical, safe, and effective.

Get him hooked on anything along the lines of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Wrestling, or Judo.

http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php...article&id=240

After seeing this video I almost got mad at my parents for not getting me involved in grappling when young.

When the only people you hurt or get hurt by physically are your friends, it's mellows you out with some pretty good confidence.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:50 PM   #5
David Stegman

Profile:
I used to teach Karate for several years. I owned and operated my own school as well. Mostly kids of course so I have had my fair share of dealing with the little ones training etc.

I quit training Karate back in 1996 to pursue BJJ. I now have a 5 year old boy that is also training and I would NOT put him in anything other than BJJ or possibly Judo and Wrestling.

I would NEVER let my child be taught "potty karate".
Old 07-28-2006, 02:15 PM   #6
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
"potty karate"

That's classic :biggrin:
Old 07-28-2006, 03:58 PM   #7
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Not much fighting skill but lots of fun to be had in Capoeira. Accrobatics, music and Portuguese!
Old 07-28-2006, 04:16 PM   #8
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Robb's comment reminds me of what we tell a lot of parents looking to get their kids started in something below the age of 7.

See how they like gymnastics first. Many kids will have more fun doing gymnastics below 6 or 7 years old. Once they hit 7 or 8, the stuff they learned at the gym will help them excel in every sport - especially the martial arts.

If you are determined to get him started in the martial arts, make sure you go to as many schools as possible, and watch how they run their kids classes.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:14 PM   #9
Mark Dowst

Profile:
Rob and Jeremy are thinking along the right lines. Find something fun first for your kid, then if possible make it useful.

Gymnastics would be a great sport to develop athletic skills. Wrestling would give your kid a safe way to learn toughness and grit. BJJ wouldn't help him athletically as the others but it is very useful in self defense and confidence.

Make a list of sports you find safe and useful, then go see if your son likes them. If you find a sport that you both can precipitate in, that would be the best.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:58 PM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
I'd say gymnastics and judo as well as possibly boxing.
Most schoolyard fights turn into grapples or boxing.
Gymnastics allows for them to learn on rudimentary skills that cover any sport. They might even be good at gymnastics. Capoeira, I think would be a little tricky to learn for most kids. With many kids, things are too difficult at the beginning become ignored and boring too them.
As well, gymnastics will teach them how to fall. Which will happen as a kid or in other sports. Judo will teach how to fall as well, like aikido, but they're more likely to get into grappling scuffles if anything should rise.
As well, many kids do gymnastics recreationally while doing other sports or martial systems.