CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-10-2005, 04:30 PM   #1
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Over the weekend I was at a course to do my National Level 1 S&C coaches qualifications.

Overall I can't say I learnt a huge amount from the actual material presented but I did learn a lot from the two presenters experiences and also a few important things.

1. There are a lot of people who know all the cool anatomical/biomechanical terms and who still don't know anything about training.

2. The S&C guys are WAAAAAYYYYYY ahead of the personal trainers i've met and a lot of their stuff was pretty close to being crossfit.

3. The food at the NSW institute of sport cafe is crap.

I also got to meet and talk to Sean Eadie (former world champion in track cycling and an olympic medalist) He told us about some of his training and it was a real eye opener (250kg squats, plyos with 100kg+)

I tried to flog crossfit to one of the presenters and i think he will check it out at some stage too.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:08 PM   #2
Pat Janes

Profile:

Where can I find out more about this, Don? Are the courses only available down there in Sydney?
Old 07-10-2005, 10:13 PM   #3
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Pat, the courses are actually organised by the Australian Strength and Conditioning Association which is based somewhere in QLD.

They run courses all over Aus.

Check out www.strengthandconditioning.org

Old 07-10-2005, 10:54 PM   #4
Pat Janes

Profile:

Ahhh, ok. Yeah, I found their website a while back. They're based close to where I used to live and will be moving back to soon.

I revisited their site recently and wasn't sure if they were the "real deal". Sounds like there was a fair bit of positive to go along with the inevitable "no so positive"...
Old 07-10-2005, 11:27 PM   #5
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Compared to the personal trainer certs the ASCA course was pure gold. Plus if you want to work with athletes in say a rugby team or at the AIS then you HAVE to have the Lvl 1 cert.

The guys running it had about 20 years combined experience with national and international level athletes and they were heavily into functional movements, olympic lifting, throwing, strong man, interval work etc etc.

Their focus was very much on preparing athletes for competition and therefore using fairly specific sessions although they were quite happy with me proposing some crossfit type stuff.

There was also an emphasis on developing sports specific speed.

They had a big emphasis on squatting, disliked machine weights in general (with a few exceptions) and overall I was pretty happy to learn that most of what i've been going blue in the face trying to explain to PTs is actually mainstream in the S&C world.

A lot of the stuff was covered pretty quickly as we only had two days and there were a few practicals to do. Even though the Level 1 is their entry level course there wasn't enough info provided to become a coach from scratch. You would really require a good understanding of training before going to the course if you wanted to train people when you came out the other side.

I would guess that since you have been crossfitting for a while and reading the journals etc you would know most of the stuff in the course and would fly through it.