CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-29-2007, 02:33 PM   #1
Nicholas Richard Engen

Profile:
I have been experiencing some pain in my left shoulder and elbow for some time and within the last few weeks have been experiencing pain in my hands and wrists and was wondering if anyone could recommend any supplements they use for joint health doesn’t necessarily have to be about supplements either any kind of advice would be appreciated.

(Message edited by iotask8 on May 29, 2007)
Old 05-31-2007, 04:45 PM   #2
Scott Ponte

Profile:
Fish Oil
Old 05-31-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
Skylar Cook

Profile:
Flax seed/oil supposedly helps, but I think fish would do the same. Just hearsay, though.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:11 PM   #4
Dana Joseph Stewart

Profile:
Nicholas

Hey, if you are looking for something to help your joint pain, try a supplement called Triflex. It is a GNC product. You don't have to buy this particular brand, but it's what I use. If you opt to buy a different brand (as GNC tends to be a little over-priced), make sure the product has these three ingredients:

1) Glucosamine (1500 mg)
2) Chondroitin Sulfate (1200 mg)
3) MSM (900 mg)

These are the doses that are in Triflex. It's these 3 ingredients which work in conjunction with one another to rebuild cartilage and lubricate joints.

I have had 9 shoulder dislocations, 2 shoulder surgeries, broken jaw, and countless other sports injuries (too much ice hockey/rugby). I started taking Triflex because my left knee was killing me when I would run. After two months on it, I can do WODs with running without any problems. I am seven months out from my last shoulder surgery and Triflex has really helped that too. Try it out.

Old 06-02-2007, 04:40 PM   #5
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Injuries/Medical
Old 06-06-2007, 07:22 PM   #6
Joe Beman

Profile:
The supplements usually mentioned in this and similar threads address cartilage degeneration and arthritis. Is there a supplement that helps enhance the health of tendons?
Old 06-07-2007, 03:42 AM   #7
Mark Cotton

Profile:
I would recommend a visit to the Dr to make sure it's not a sign of something more serious since you mentioned a rather quick progession.

Once you hear the outcome and find out it is just joint pain I would definately follow the Glucosamine, Chondroitin Sulfate, MSM and fish oil protocols.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:52 AM   #8
William Hunter

Profile:
I agree with Mark. The left shoulder and elbow sound like chronic wear and tear, but if you've had quick developing, bilateral and symmetrical hand/wrist pain you could/should get some bloodwork done to rule out rheumatoid factors and other blood borne forms of arthritis. Just to be safe of course. If you've been mauling your mitts with some hardcore CF WOD's than that might explain the pain, and all the advice listed above would be the way to go. You should be taking fish oil regardless.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:02 PM   #9
Nicholas Richard Engen

Profile:
yeah just went into the doctor the other day had some x-rays done and they looked fine I had some blood work done to look for arthritis and then the next morning an EMG. I was told it looks like I have carpal tunnel syndrome at least that’s what the doctor said who did the EMG. I go back in on the 18th to see where I go from here.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:37 AM   #10
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
Nicholas,

try also poking around in the muscles of your arm and shoulder, searching for hard knots in the muscles where the muscle feels like rubber cable. If you find any, press them. If they hurt like hell, and maybe even evoke the pain you are feeling, massage those places by self-massage with a tennis ball (against the wall, on the table) or the knuckles of the other side hand.

For more info on why and how to massage, see http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/27/14941.html.

For the RSI like symptoms, be sure to search your outer lower arm near the elbow, where the finger extensors originate. I bet you have some pretty hard knots there.

Good luck, and fast recovery,

Christian