CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-23-2006, 01:32 PM   #1
Jeremy Zagarella

Profile:  
Doc has told me -- nothing upper body for 8 weeks.

what can I do from crossfit now...?

no supposed to even put bar on shoulders for back squats...

he said, you can run, bike, sit ups, ...any ideas
Old 03-27-2006, 09:34 AM   #2
Robert Gardner

Profile:  
Have you come up with anything?

I hurt my shoulder too (I'm not even sure exactly how). I can do pull-ups and push-ups but nothing pressing at all and not dips either. I'm kinda stymied too as to how to workout. I've been running a fair amount, but that is SO boring.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:18 PM   #3
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Iron Mind sells a squat belt which allows you to do heavy squats without loading your shoulders. Also, think about breaking the CF mindset for a short while and use machines at the gym for legs, etc. Machines, after all, are recommended for rehab.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:53 PM   #4
Jeremy Zagarella

Profile:  
Robert,

Havent figured out much yet...but this is the kind of thing i have been doing.

2 min max sit ups (holding 10lbs)
2 min rest
(I do above three times)

Cycle 30 min with 4-8 1 min sprints (intervals)
directly followed by a run (1-2 miles)

I also have started working on my mile time...trying to get it down to 6 min for 3 miles. So I have been doing some hills, track intervals, and the like.

I have been ordered to not do ANYTHING with these shoulders so I am not. I might check out the squat machines (I have been doing tabula squats).

Hope that helps...for me I WISH i could do pull ups. soon enough.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:25 AM   #5
Philippe Deslandes

Profile:
Hy everyone,

I too have a tendonitis (scapular/rotator something) on my right shoulder. I'm dragging that injury for maybe 3-4 week now because I haven't stop working out.

I decided to completely stop working my right shoulder 3 days ago and will give a shot at one-arm WOD's, if applicable, as a past post suggested. I will also end up doing more leg/abs work, running, cycling and rope jumping.

I'm also using a «tense» device to give little electrical pulsation in your shoulder muscles to relieve nerve tension (10 minutes a few times per day). It feels good.

I guess we have to be wise about it... It bugs us to stop because whe are very motivated at the moment but It could be worse for our shoulder to continue.

Good luck with your rehab,

Phil
Old 03-29-2006, 10:32 AM   #6
Elliot Royce

Profile:
You can also get a shot of cortisone (I did) but I believe that does nothing to heal the problem and might encourage you to get back to working out too soon.

However, you should be doing rotator cuff strengthening, ideally under a physical therapist's supervision. A theraband can be used to rotate your forearm out from your body to the side while keeping the elbow tucked into the body. Also, you can lie on a bench, put your elbow into your side and lift a very light weight (5-10lbs) up, same rotation.

Tendonitis occurs because a muscle is used past its capacity on a repetitive basis. Most of us have weak rotator cuffs in relation to the pecs and deltoids since rotator cuffs don't look good in a swimsuit.

Again, from my experience, a good physical therapist is the best approach, rather than just trying to adjust. If you're over 30, these things can take a long time to heal and you can actually lay down scar tissue.