CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-13-2006, 07:51 AM   #1
Tirzah Harper

Profile:
Yes, I know I'm a wimp...LOL
I'm thinking about saving up the gym fees and putting the money into gradually building up a home gym (all we have now are a few dumbbells that don't get used much since pulling them out/putting them back every time ends up leaving them in the closet). It looks like in about two years I could get a really good setup built up.
My question is location. My basement is a good concrete floor but too low for my partner to do *anything* overhead (he's 6' and the ceiling joists are as low as 7'). My garage is heavily used & VERY unheated, brr! That would leave me frozen out of my gym for four months of the year.
For bumper plates & a lifting platform, how much floor support (given max wt of, say, 200 lbs, minimal dropping) would a regular joisted floor need to have? Is this even possible?
And given a very open-plan house, what could I do to make the workout area look less...sweaty/smelly?
Old 04-13-2006, 08:08 AM   #2
Joseph Hart

Profile:
Tirzah,
Openers...Search the board. There are some really good threads out there. Or just look for stuff on Eugene's gym (he has a sweet set up). But, to save some time. Check into a set of rings and a place to do pull ups. Then check into bumpers and a bar. There is a thread for KBs that arrived recently. They look like a good deal. The whole structural questions are not my bag. I am the Anti-Norm Abram (Measure twice cut once toss away that peice of wood and start over). Keep the air moving for the stink. Ceiling fans or big box fans. After a little more thought. Since summer is coming. Get the rings and KBs and head to the park.

My $.02.

Joe
Old 04-13-2006, 08:31 AM   #3
Paul Findley

Profile:
If you build the plywood lifting platform, I suspect the load would be spread very well over the floor joists.

I was in my basement, it was not working for the same reasons you mention, and moved to garage.

I have a kerosene heater, it sucks when you are sucking wind and tasting it. Luckily I am in Colorado where it is rarely needed. If I did not have a big garage, I would have cleaned an area to quickly deploy equipment, and move it to the side to park. A friend of mine has a gas fired (externally vented) garage heater...that is the bomb.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:50 AM   #4
Tirzah Harper

Profile:
Joseph, I've already got a list of equipment & prices from yesterday's searches, thanks :-) Fans would be good...LOL...
Paul, I'd be using the plywood platform, so maybe that would be okay. I've got a three-car garage in theory, but it's 2/3 full of a wooden sailboat and the rest is occupied with bikes, riding mower, tools, tools, tools. Plus that's way too big to afford to heat every day for a workout.
So I'm eyeballing my living room now.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:51 AM   #5
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
From Paul Findley "That is the bomb"

Literally

(Message edited by jjones on April 13, 2006)
Old 04-13-2006, 08:54 AM   #6
Paul Findley

Profile:
Most of the time, when it has been cold, you just get going and find that cold is ok and you are anything but cold.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:10 AM   #7
Chris MacFarlane

Profile:
This might be an exellent oppurtunity. I'm cleaning out my garage as we speak. Basically getting rid of junk and anything duplicated, come one how many crescent wrenches does one need. I don't think I need 10.

Plus made the decision last night to insulate the whole thing. Mostly because it's attached to the house and hydro is going up this year.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:31 AM   #8
Paul Findley

Profile:
Crescent wrenches:

1 metric & 1 standard

That's all you need.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:05 AM   #9
Jason Billows

Profile:
I have a similar predicament. My basement gym has a low ceiling and I'm just over 6 feet. I can't do any overhead work with a bar and bumpers, but our ceiling isn't finished so I can work with dumbbells overhead if I lift them between floor joists. It's fun work on precision. :-)

During the summer months I will have most of my gym set up in the garage along with my bar and bumpers. I'll stick it out there as long as I can. When the bar gets really cold I'll simply wear gloves. Being active outdoors in the cold is not problem to me as I have done outdoor winter sports all of my life. The bigger issue is cold on the hands when trying to manipulate equipment. When it gets too cold (and it will here in Ottawa) I'll take the bar and bumpers downstairs and be limited to cleans and squats.

I also have a very old gym membership that has reasonably low fees. I keep it for the days I need access to a C2 or want to get out of the office at lunch and run to the gym.

I guess I'm not really answering any questions, but thought I'd chime in with my experiences.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:17 AM   #10
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I put my gym over my garage and installed an electric space heater with (I think) 10,000W. It's what you see in auto repair shops. It's mounted on the ceiling and blows superheated air out. If I crank it up, it can warm my 800 sq ft gym (yes, I'm spoiled) by about 5 degrees in 20-30 minutes. In winter, my gym is usually around 40 degrees when I get home and will get up to around 50-55 in not much time. That is warm enough that you're not freezing your balls off. I also have it on a timer so that I can set it to kick in when I want it.

I think the heater cost around $300 (search for electric space heater). It needs a 220v circuit so that may cost a bit more.