CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-05-2004, 04:02 PM   #21
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I ordered the bar and bumper plates, I called and recieved a significant discount from the web price. They worked up an order for me over the phone. The price included shipping and handling.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:36 PM   #22
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I used to own the BFS Elite Bar and was quite happy with it. I'd say it's a good bargain.
I did, however, upgrade to an Eleiko which is why I no longer own that bar. I have purchased 3 BFS bars of different sizes, so you could say I like their selection.

The lack of center knurling is important if you are going to do cleans. Rough knurling in the center section of the bar will tear up your throat.

There is no easy conversion from static weight limit to yield strength because static weight ratings are total bull crap. They mean nothing. Yield strength of the metal is the way to go. Think of it this way - even the cheapest barbells have so-called "500 lb." or "1,000 lb." ratings. Yet the world record clean is less than 600 pounds. No way would a cheap $70 bar survive a 500 lb. clean & jerk. You could squat with 1,000 pounds with a $600 Eleiko no problem or you could wreck it with 200 pounds by dropping it across a bench.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:06 AM   #23
Paul M

Profile:

Thanks for the info. I hadn't thought about the center knurling and cleans. I guess its a compromise between squats and cleans for a bar.

I actually don't know how much I trust any of the strength ratings, I was just curious whether there's a quick conversion in order to compare bars from different places. The static weight limit might apply somewhat to slow lifts, like the powerlifts, because they are mostly static, but when there's speed or dropping involved, all bets are off.

By the way, I got my first workout in at my garage last night and loved it. Once I get a good bar and a couple of other things, there'll be no regrets at all.

-Paul
Old 08-06-2004, 12:28 PM   #24
Paul M

Profile:

I called around town here looking for local places that sell weightlifting equipment that might be a bit better than Sports Authority. I found a place that carries Hampton Fitness bars, weights, and bumper plates. I think I'd have to go to the store to get an exact quote, as it sounds like they have a large range of bars. In your post above, Lincoln, you mention that Hampton's bumper plates aren't quite as durable. Do you know anything about their bars?

Just looking for the best deal,
Paul
Old 08-06-2004, 03:02 PM   #25
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Some of the Hampton bars are okay. I think at least some of the BFS bars are re-labeled Hamptons.

Not only are the Hampton bumpers less durable, but the narrow hubs make them wobble like crazy and bit more awkward to put on/take off the bar.
Old 08-06-2004, 03:23 PM   #26
Aptdwler

Profile:

I actually have a pair of rubber bumpers that are a good inch smaller than all others. Ironically, they say Weider International on the side. That should have been a warning sign. I got them at a garage sale and had nothing to compare them to....

My best advice is to add a few pieces a year. Starting with what you most want and branch out. Make what you can, safely....
Old 08-06-2004, 05:55 PM   #27
Paul M

Profile:

Thanks for the advice. I've found a couple of places now that seem to sell good equipment. I need to see it in person before I know what I think about it. The 2nd place has a much better price on (metal) weights ($0.45/lbs vs $0.59/lbs) and also carries some Ivanko bars.

Apart from my initial startup costs of the cage, which I got cheap from the classifieds, a bar and some weights + a pair of 10 kg bumpers, I think I'll take the $50/month gym membership I've been paying and put it into an equipment fund for both homemade and commercial equipment.

Thanks again,
Paul
Old 08-08-2004, 10:02 PM   #28
elizabeth bradley

Profile:  
paul,,i am also in the midst of hunting the classified for a cage,,,what price did you pay and what kind is it, brand dimensions, just curious, i am looking at this really well built cage with 4 bars included for like 500 from a gym that's closing down. the 2 oly bars were supposedly around 170 each when originally bought, the other bars are a trap bar and a hammer curl bar, all of unknown quality and brand name. and i will only be using like one bar anyway so hmmmm,,,,,what to do
Old 08-09-2004, 07:11 AM   #29
Paul M

Profile:

Elizabeth,

I got mine for a real deal. For $150, I got the power cage, an adjustable bench, and a standard barbell set. When I first saw the ad on craigslist, it was for $250. When I looked the next day, it was $150, so he must've been desperate to get rid of it.

I don't know what the brand of the cage is, but its made out of 2x3" steel. The guy I bought it from said he bought it in 97. Its pretty sturdy, but not as rock solid as some gym pieces I've seen. The sides are welded together and the cross bars bolt on. It also has holes to be bolted to the floor. The width from the outside to outside is about 50 inches, and I think its 48 inches between the support bars. Its an inch or so shy of 7 feet tall.

$500 for a commercial power cage with 4 bars sounds like a good deal, but I guess it depends on the individual cage and bars and what you actually want for your gym. Trap bars are apparently great for deadlifts, but I've never used one. I think that most gyms go for strength in their bars as opposed to other qualitites. Those bars would probably be strong, but you never know how well they rotate, etc., til you try them.

Good luck!
Paul