CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-06-2004, 03:47 PM   #1
elizabeth bradley

Profile:  
hi, i am going to buy a cage for us to work out with cause it seems to be the most versatile equipment to do squats, bench, dips and pullups,,,,,,but some questions first.

my only bar is 7' 1" long. it is a cheapie from costco many years ago. the grip part is 50" wide,,,but the rack is 51" wide,,,so the bar hooks are just a little to wide it seems to me and it will be hard to rack the weight when finished. other rack/cages i have looked at are 48" wide but are not as nice as the 51". if i buy a bar for olympic style lifts, are they all 7' long and with the grip area 50" or are they longer. i was going to have a machinist friend put some needle bearings (about 15$ worth) in my costco bar so it spins better but maybe i shouldn't waste my time....if i have a normal standard bar,,,why is the rack 51" wide,,it would seem to need a special bar. although, the rack is made of 3" steel tubing and the bar hooks are only about 1.5" wide and are centered on that 3" tubing,,,so i guess the bar will barely fit in there. still seems kind of tight to me. is the grip part of a good olympic bar longer than the one i have (50") thanks for any input
Old 08-06-2004, 06:23 PM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I had to read your post about three times but I think I get it. . .buy a new bar.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:55 PM   #3
elizabeth bradley

Profile:  
i thought i was pretty clear but,,,. will the new bar still be hard to rack in an extra wide 51" cage. are the supernice bars like the chapman elite, or the texas bar the same size as my cheapie....is the grip part of the nice bars about 50"? thanks
Old 08-06-2004, 07:08 PM   #4
Paul M

Profile:

I just happened to be looking on the Ivanko website, and they have a diagram of their competition line bars:

http://www.ivanko.com/commercial_oly_bars.pdf

Since these are made to Olympic competition standards, I'd assume they'd be very close to the other top brand Oly bars (not sure about the texas bar, since its made for powerlifting, though.) At any rate, the distance between the collars is listed as 52 5/8 inches. It'd be a tight fit, but it would work on a 51" rack.

Some racks are made especially wide because of the super-wide stances that powerlifters have. It could be that's part of the reason your rack would be that wide.

As a side note, the Ivanko bars are a couple of inches longer than 7 feet - again, must be part of the Olympic specifications. I wouldn't be surprised if most cheaper manufacturers just assume that Oly bars are 7 feet and make them that way, in which case the grip section would be 2 inches too short.

-Paul
Old 08-06-2004, 07:11 PM   #5
elizabeth bradley

Profile:  
thanks paul, awesome info, just what i needed,,,went to a lot of sites like, bsgym, bfs, megafitness but couldn't find any specs. thanks again
Old 08-07-2004, 04:35 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Sorry Elizabeth, didn't have alot of time last night. I think you should get a decent Olympic bar and bumper plates. They are far more functional than a power rack. You could make pillers of power (think higher P-bars) from iron pipe (check the equipment posts about a month ago) for about $30 or less. The weight initially rests on the iron pipes, you could then rack the weight on your back (for squats) and step out. This option takes less space and argueably is safer; you just dump the weight (say from a squat) rather than crash into the safety pins, if you fail. Now you could use your old bar, the pillars of power are movable, and you have an oly bar for the oly lifts. You could do dips with the pillars of power. No the only thing you need to solve is pullups. I just think this is money better spent.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:40 AM   #7
Tony Young

Profile:
Elizabeth,

These are the squat stands and safety racks I made from 1 1/4" and 1" pipe. I had my welder drill the holes (because I suck) and spot weld the points where things might turn. The stands cost about $75 and the safety racks about $25. Now that I know they're what I want, I'll wire brush the rust and hit 'em with a couple coats of Krylon.http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/4797.jpg
Old 08-08-2004, 09:54 PM   #8
elizabeth bradley

Profile:  
thank you larry, excellent advice, and very tempting. yet a nice power cage in my garage would make it look so much like a real workout area i might be motivated more. i still have a while to figure it all out.

tony, nice stuff there,,,i see some more pipe in the background,,,what's next?
Old 08-09-2004, 08:12 AM   #9
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I used to have a power cage in my garage. I was using it like a squat rack and it was taking up twice the space of a squat rack so eventually I sold it and got a pair of squat racks. I do miss the chinup bar, though.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:23 AM   #10
Tony Young

Profile:
E,
Those are farmer's walk and thick bars of various sorts. I'm trying to slow my urge to create and save up for a good O bar and rubber plates.