CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-20-2005, 04:11 PM   #1
Cassi Nesmith

Profile:
I just finished my first triathlon!

So, now what? Is tomorrow a rest day, or do I take a rest two or three days, or rest week?

Should I spend the next few days doing light
work outs, like stretches/five tibetians, or
should i hop on the exercise bike tomorrow
and start the WOD Monday?

I feel pumped up and ready to go, but my knees,
hips and back are a little sore. I wouldn't
mind some time off.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:07 PM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
How much time you take off is entirely dependant upon the length of your race. Since it was your first I am going to take the liberty of assuming that it was not a full or half Ironman race and that it was an Olympic or sprint distance race.

I have been racing for a dozen years or so and find that a sprint distance race which takes me from 1:09 to 1:30 depending on the specific distances and is no harder on me than a good hard workout. I might take the next day off but not much more than that.

An Olympic distance race takes me from 2:40 to 2:50 or so and I'll give it 2 or 3 days at the most of no training at all, but will really lighten the running load to 2 days a week for the next 2 weeks or so. You can get right back in the pool and after a couple days you can get back on the bike too, but bag the running for a week.

Your next few days after the race should be spent with lighter workouts and very little running. Do a hour light spin on the bike at an aerobic HR and get in the pool for a 2,000 yard swim concentrating on drills and stroke count.

Triathletes tend to overtrain/under rest. Don't. Take 2 days off and on those days do light stuff, pool work, stretching and light spinning. Then ease back into things letting your body advise you. Ice your knees after hard workouts, drink lots of water, stretch a lot especially your hips, lower back, hamstrings, hip flexors and IT band. Practice Pose running and get some Spinervals tapes.

Was it Treasure Island? Which race did you do? Lots of good stuff near you. Consider the Vineman races up in Santa Rosa, really great venue up there.

eug