CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-18-2008, 04:47 PM   #1
Jack Gayton

Profile:
Fat Block Question

Alright, I'll admit it.. I've wasted a good portion of this federal holiday researching nutrition on the PM and CF boards. Granted, I did paint the bedroom for baby # 2 arriving this May.. But, most of my time was surfing..

Here's my question.. When someone tells you to "up the fat blocks 5X".. What does that mean? I was under the impression that meant instead of calculating 3 grams of fat per block, you calculate 5 grams..

Now, I'm reading Robb Wolf's "42 Ways to Skin the Zone" and I'm not so sure.. In the article he states his typical day consists of 5X fat blocks which comes out to 80 BLOCKS.. Robb's a wicked smart guy, so I'm not doubting his wisdom, but does he mean he eats 240 grams of fat in a day???

Is he going off 1.5 grams? I can see eating 120 grams a day.. I mean, a couple tablespoons of EVOO go a long way, but it seems like a lot of fat..

Robb, If you stumble across this thread, I'd love some feedback. Great article!! I've found myself in the AHCCZ category.. I eat way too much fruit, or even a (gulp) slice of bread.. Getting too much of my carbs from dense sources and I'm looking to lean a lot more heavily to favorable carbs.. Problem for me is I get groggy, cranky and weak when I cut too low on carbs. Maybe because I was not eating enough fat..

Appreciate the feedback from all in advance.. Thanks
Old 02-18-2008, 07:24 PM   #2
Jack Gayton

Profile:
Re: Fat Block Question

After reading the article for the third time, carefully, I answered my own question.

It's 5X Blocks and the blocks are calculated at 1.5 (supposing that there is 1.5 grams of fat in a lean protein source)

So, 16 blocks at 5X would be 80 blocks or 120 grams. No wonder I crashed so hard when eating mostly paleo. I was nowhere near this amount of fat. I remember using fitday to track my food and getting up to 85 grams of fat and freaking out.

Anyway, it's a great article.. Robb really puts out some good stuff. I'm going to try increasing my fat blocks and focusing on favorable carbs..

Now realizing that I'm talking to myself on a message board..