CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #1
Andy Luten

Profile:
Zoot: Active or Recovery?

Hey guys/gals,

Looking at picking up a pair of the Zoot tights for the WODs at my affiliate (Crossfit Strong in Dallas), and had a question: should I get the Active or Recovery tights? From what I've heard on this board and other places, the Active ones are designed more for long duration stuff, marathons and whatnot, as opposed to the quick dirty and brutal sort of WODs we do.

So for those of you with Recovery tights, do you wear during the WOD, or just after?

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #2
Rene Forestier

Profile:
Re: Zoot: Active or Recovery?

I don't have Zoots (I would try them if there was a reliable online supplier to Canada...anyone?), but I have a pair of Skins and BSc.

I think their value lies mostly in recovery vis during workouts. I sometimes wear them during, but mostly for added warmth. My wife and I also wear them on flights...they are VERY effective for that.

For sleeping/recovery/flights I would get the Recovery tights.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
Andy Luten

Profile:

So are there any that you folks would recommend for wearing during workout? My understanding is that neither Skins or Zoots provide any thermal insulation unless you specifically go for the Thermal types.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
Andrew Bell

Profile:

I have the Zoot Recovery tights and they are not meant to be active in, they are meant for after a workout of some type. That is what they are designed for, not during a wod.

As for if they work, it's like preventative maintenance, who knows how you would feel if you didn't wear them versus wearing them.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
Josh Courage

Profile:

I've been wearing 2XU, both thermal and not for workouts and recovery and have honestly felt a huge difference. Running in the cold in the thermals is great, but wearing them for a lot of my sessions has just felt like I have this whole other level of support. Have tried SKINS and a few others, and I honestly feel as though SKINS and 2XU are tops for in-workout support AND recovery.

The only part I don't like is being that guy wearing tights while working out... but, it really feel as though it help a lot, so I convince myself I'm a super hearo or something and it's all good!
Old 01-03-2011, 11:41 PM   #6
Jesse Gray

Profile:

Get the Zoot recovery tights and go ahead and wear them while you work out and after.
As for people who wear performance compression garments during long trips, I would urge you to make sure they are recovery style compression and not active compression garments. Basically, if it has a stirrup/covered foot it's all good. However, if the compression ends right at the ankle like most active style compression garments do you could potentially cause injury to yourself (blood clot risk). If the compression ends before your extremity does, circulation can be affected. For an example of a practical application of this think of something that rhymes with "lock" ring.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:10 AM   #7
Darren Rushworth

Profile:

I wouldn't recommend the Recovery tights if you want to use them during the WOD. They have a tendency to work their way down the glutes/thighs so you'll either flash everyone in your affiliate, or they'll just be really uncomfortable if you're wearing shorts over the top.

If you just want to improve recovery then get the Recovery tights. They aren't a miracle cure but you will notice a reduction in recovery time.

If I was buying again I would just get the Recovery socks. I find the stirrup on the tights digs into my heels too much and they're unbearable after 4 hours. It's also really annoying to have to constantly pull them up.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:47 PM   #8
Jeff Gerber

Profile:

Zoot just released a tall version of the CompressRx Recovery tights this past month. This may help Darren's problems. The first ones advertised I found on TeamEstrogen's site.

I'm 6'7" (2.0 meters) tall and until now, Skins were my best option. I talked with a rep at Zoot and he said if you have an inseam of 34 inches or more, go with the tall, otherwise go with the regular. I took a chance on ordering them and was surprised that they fit pretty good, not an easy task at my height and I'm probably pushing the very upper limit with these.

Because I've had such an issue deciding what recovery tights work, what don't, what the considerations are, and after taking gambles with Skins, 2XU, and Zoot I thought I'd document my review of the Zoot Recovery Tights on YouTube and hopefully save some others some trouble. IMHO they are to date the best in compression and most comfortable. I did my best to avoid making opinions and tried to back the review with some objective science. The place they could improve is in the stirrup design and I explain why this is in the review as well.

Exactly what Darren states seems to be the running theme on a few threads "I find the stirrups on the tights digs into my heels". Darren says they are unbearable after 4 hours and that they are pulling down. My guess is that a tall may improve this situation for him. My personal experience is that the stirrups do dig in but I don't notice them unless I try to sleep in them and I can easily wear them all day. Other people reported similar results to mine.

Some people have complained they find it takes a long time to put on because of the stirrups. I answered this with a 1 minute YouTube video showing how to get the Zoot stirrups on quickly.

All in all I think the stirrup comfort is most related to a proper length fit and secondary that they could fix the design by correcting the seam and offer length as one of the fitting dimensions (offer more than two lengths for a better custom fit).

If you're really worried about finding an exact fit, I've not tried them but CEP Clone tailors to your exact dimensions. As for comfort and level of compression I can't compare and give accurate feedback without trying them. In the video I discuss the basic scientific concept of 3D vs 2D compression and to my knowledge, Zoot is the only one on the market providing true 3D compression (not just making more panels with more seams in target areas). CEP appears to be completely 2D.

My experience with Skins is that they provide compression but not anywhere at the level of Zoot. They are very comfortable though but I wouldn't recommend them for serious compression. They have stirrups and I can sleep in them. They run long in length and their patent is very focused on their BMI algorithm which is why you see so many sizes available. My wife is truly my opposite at 5'0" and the smallest size of Skins is too long for her. The tallest size of Skins is amazingly too long for me and I have no idea who they would fit (<1% of the population?). Having read the Skins patent and seen the reasoning behind the design with BMI and tailoring for atheletic builds, my guess is they are off in their tolerances somewhere.

2XU has a "long" but doesn't really cater to the longer lengths, they're great active tights but they aren't seriously competing in the *recovery* compression market. To the positive, I love their moderate compression which is just right for running.