CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
Adam Spang

Profile:
Critique my diet

Looking for some diet pointers to get me over the hump from a seemingly plateaued body composition. Been crossfitting for 3 months now and was running/lifting religiously for years before that. Crossfit has done a lot, and I'm just not sure if I should keep my head down and keep working or shake something up in my diet/schedule.

A little about me:
24yrs old, 6'0" floating around 205 lb, good amount of muscle, still a little trimming to do, not sure about BMI metrics etc.....Exercising 5 days a week, with CF 3-4 days and a distance run (~5miles) 1-2 days per week with a cubicle job during the day...

Eating on an average work day:

Breakfast (5:30am):
3 egg omelate (2 whites) with spinach/tomato/bacon/cheese/jalapenos
big naval orange
Coffee (1 cream, 1 sugar)

Snack (~8:30am):
Almonds
some sort of low-carb protein shake (~15g protein)

2nd snack (~10:30-11am):
med. coffee (1 cream, 1 sugar)
low- carb protein bar (~10g protein)

Lunch (~12:30-1pm):
Salad with chicken/turkey, mixed greens, small portion of dressing
Whey protein shake (~25g protein)

Snack (~3:00pm):
Apple or Grapes
Almonds/Nuts

Workout (~5pm)
PWO protein shake (just switched from 42g myoplex shake to 2 cups of light chocolate milk because the myoplex was just too damn expensive).

Dinner (~7:30-8)
Vegetable(s) with chicken/chicken sausage/fish/small steak (steak once a week at most)

Side Notes:
-Sometimes I do a PWO shake of 2 scoops of whey, peanut butter and a banana and skip a true dinner because it usually holds me for the evening.
-I drink more than enough water (~6- 16oz bottles just at work, not including post workout/evenings.)
-Satisfy sugar cravings with mini reeses cups (limited myself with no more than 4 per day). I get between 6-7.5 sleep per night.
-I do have the bad habit of running up the bar tab 1 night per week on Saturdays.... probably a source of the problem, but i figure I can have 1 night a week of being unhealthy.

Let me know if you have any constructive criticisms.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
James Chu

Profile:
Re: Critique my diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Spang View Post
Looking for some diet pointers to get me over the hump from a seemingly plateaued body composition.

-Satisfy sugar cravings with mini reeses cups (limited myself with no more than 4 per day). I get between 6-7.5 sleep per night.
-I do have the bad habit of running up the bar tab 1 night per week on Saturdays.... probably a source of the problem, but i figure I can have 1 night a week of being unhealthy.
To break through the plateau, I'd first look at the candy + alcohol.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
Chris Peterson

Profile:

I'm not to big on the nutrition front, but I'm guessing if you're trying to trim up, getting rid of the liquid shakes would help. It's a lot easier for your body to break down something that's a liquid (a lot more surface area) than something solid. By eating solid foods, it makes your body burn more energy just to process the foods because it needs to actively break it down too.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
Adam Spang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Chu View Post
To break through the plateau, I'd first look at the candy + alcohol.
Granted the partying on the weekends is inexcusable, but a few MINI reeses cups a day I don't see as much as a problem. I am lead to believe that this isn't a big deal since when I go grocery shopping I have a whole cart of healthy food and just one bag of candy that lasts two weeks.

...or is this my fatal flaw, that those few each day are preventing me from reaching any goals??
Old 05-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #5
Ryan Eddy

Profile:

Quote:
(~6- 16oz bottles just at work, not including post workout/evenings.)
Would those happen to be pre-packaged bottled water bottles? or your own refillable bottle?
Old 05-19-2011, 12:57 PM   #6
Chris Peterson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Eddy View Post
Would those happen to be pre-packaged bottled water bottles? or your own refillable bottle?
I'm hoping that he doesn't buy every one!

Anyone else drink this much water like me? I have a 1.5 L bottle that I refill at work at least 6 times, and I drink 2 of these during a WOD (one before and one after). I also continue to drink water while at home at night too....
Old 05-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Are you trying to get bigger or smaller?
Old 05-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
James Chu

Profile:

Quote:
Granted the partying on the weekends is inexcusable, but a few MINI reeses cups a day I don't see as much as a problem. I am lead to believe that this isn't a big deal since when I go grocery shopping I have a whole cart of healthy food and just one bag of candy that lasts two weeks.

...or is this my fatal flaw, that those few each day are preventing me from reaching any goals??
Here's the nutrition information on the wrapped Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (also my favorite go to candy)

Serving Size: 5 pieces (44.00 g)
Total Calories 220
Calories from Fat 110
Total Fat 13 g
Cholesterol 5 mg 1%
Sodium 130 mg 5%
Total Carbohydrate 26 g 9%
Dietary Fiber 1 g 4%
Sugars 23 g
Protein 4 g

Let's say you have 4 a day or 25 a week (rough estimates)

That's 1100 calories a week.

I don't know how many drinks you have a week, but each beer/hard liquor/glass of wine is going to be around 150 to 200 calories (or more). 5 drinks? That's another 1000+ calories.

Since it takes a deficit of 3500 calories to burn a pound of fat, I'd say that the little things add up...
Old 05-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Eat real food.

You're eating a lot of crap with all of those shakes that is not real food.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #10
Adam Spang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Peterson View Post
I'm hoping that he doesn't buy every one!

Anyone else drink this much water like me? I have a 1.5 L bottle that I refill at work at least 6 times, and I drink 2 of these during a WOD (one before and one after). I also continue to drink water while at home at night too....
Lol, They are bottles that I refill frequently during the day over a couple days....its a twisted OCD type system, but in short I use the same 4-5 bottles over 3 days, refilling each multiple times. yea yea, not the best i know....