CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #31
Marnee Dearman
Member Marnee Dearman is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tucson  Az
Posts: 27
Re: The Bad Side of Fish Oil

He quotes directly from the research papers. Would you explain more precisely why his analysis is "flaky?" Thanks.
__________________
Who is John Galt?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:24 PM   #32
Larry Hotchkiss
Member Larry Hotchkiss is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Maple Grove  MN
Posts: 333
Re: The Bad Side of Fish Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Riddle View Post
Well the fish oil is being taken because the typical American diet is so far out of whack that the omega 3's from fish help bring it back into balance.

If you don't want to take fish oil then don't. My opinion is I wouldn't base that decision on flaky science being pushed by Peskin.
The funny thing is both camps (ie Peskin and Sears) advocates proper ratios of O6 to O3 and they both basically claim benefits for many of the same miladies.

It does seem that the body can freely create EPA/DHA from the parent omega-3 so why is it that Sears puts so much emphasis on them when the body could simply produce what it needs if given a quality supply of Omega-3?

Whats interesting is that O6 seems to be more prone to damage than O3 and studies do seem to support that damaged O6 is detrimental to tissue. At the same time however some studies seem to indicate O6 (ie linoleic acid) supplementation up to 15g per day provided no indication of increased oxidative stress or genetic damage.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #33
Wayne Riddle
Member Wayne Riddle is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lewiston  ME
Posts: 1,779
Re: The Bad Side of Fish Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnee Dearman View Post
He quotes directly from the research papers. Would you explain more precisely why his analysis is "flaky?" Thanks.
Um, did you read some of those research papers? I doubt Peskin did in some of cases. Look at the sample sizes used in some of the studies, look at the lack of actual data, look at some of the studies he cites either have nothing to do with what he is claiming or tend to prove the opposite of what he is claiming.

I'm done with this thread. Do your own research and make your own decisions. As for me I just got a big container of fish oil capsules from UPS today.

Last edited by Wayne Riddle : 09-14-2010 at 05:06 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:03 PM   #34
Wayne Riddle
Member Wayne Riddle is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lewiston  ME
Posts: 1,779
Re: The Bad Side of Fish Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hotchkiss View Post
It does seem that the body can freely create EPA/DHA from the parent omega-3 so why is it that Sears puts so much emphasis on them when the body could simply produce what it needs if given a quality supply of Omega-3?
No idea, you would have to ask Sears or someone that follows his publications more then I do.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:48 PM   #35
Chris Mason
Banned Chris Mason is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charlottesville  VA
Posts: 4,708
Re: The Bad Side of Fish Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hotchkiss View Post
What he promotes is not from fish.
Am I losing it, or is the title of this thread not "The Bad Side of Fish Oil"? Didn't you say you had stopped consuming it? Wasn't it argued something along the lines of fish oil is bad because of how it is processed?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #36
Larry Hotchkiss
Member Larry Hotchkiss is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Maple Grove  MN
Posts: 333
Re: The Bad Side of Fish Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Am I losing it, or is the title of this thread not "The Bad Side of Fish Oil"?
Im not the op so didnt create the thread title but I believe you have it correct. I think the "bad side" refers to the bad effects that too much fish oil can cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Didn't you say you had stopped consuming it?
Nope, dont believe I said that. I also never said peskin was right just that he makes an interesting case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Wasn't it argued something along the lines of fish oil is bad because of how it is processed?
I dont believe so. The popular premise behind fish oil or more specifically omega-3 supplementation is that having an appropriate ration of omega-6 to omega-3 is a good thing. Modern diets are heavy in omega-6 but light in omega-3 so the conclusion is that more omega-3 is needed.

However, peskin points out that just because our diets are high in omega-6 doesnt mean its actually viable omega-6 and studies indicate that omega-6 that is damaged and in turn unviable to the body (which makes up over 50% of what the average american consumes). This means that we really arent getting the high doses of VIABLE omega-6 and that the high omega-3 supplementation is actually shifting the balance to the bad but in the other direction as can be seen by....

Increased incidence of bleeding.
Hemorrhagic stroke.
Oxidation of omega-3 fatty acids forming biologically active oxidation products.
Increased levels of low density lipoproteins (LDL) cholesterol or apoproteins associated with LDL cholesterol among diabetics and hyperlipidemics.
Reduced glycemic control among diabetics.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #37
Brian O'Laughlin
Member Brian O'Laughlin is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Francisco  CA
Posts: 105
Re: The Bad Side of Fish Oil

I'm seeing the wisdom of Wayne's withdrawal from this thread.


Reading this piece from Peskin (http://www.brianpeskin.com/BP.com/re...ies-Report.pdf WFS) :

"It gets even worse. Fish oil supplements can significantly decrease the effectiveness of your immune system". (p5)

As evidence, he cites "Omega-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids, Inflammation and Immunity, by Philip C. Calder:

"[S]tudies indicate that at the levels used, fish oil [omega-3
derivatives] decrease a wide range of immune cell responses
(natural killer cell, cytotoxic T lymphocyte activities, lymphocyte
proliferation and production of IL-2 and IFN-y (1,2))"

I grab Calder's paper, and there's just one problem: Calder's paper is about AUTOIMMUNE diseases. From the summary: "Many of the placebo-controlled trials of fish oil in chronic inflammatory diseases reveal significant benefit, including decreased disease activity and a lowered use of anti-inflammatory drugs".

Either Peskin doesn't understand what an autoimmune disease is, or he figures his audience won't read closely enough to notice that he's completely misquoting, to the point of fabrication.

I don't think Peskin is adding any value.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fish Oil Supplmentation vs Grass Fed Beef and Oily Fish Paul Epstein Nutrition 2 06-04-2008 05:21 AM
Oil Questions (Flax Seed, Fish, Udo's Oil) Lisa Walker Nutrition 5 04-26-2008 09:32 PM
Zone Omega 3 fish oil vs. store bought fish oil Bruce Duco Nutrition 3 03-26-2008 03:04 PM
Bad Fish Oil? Jeffrey Crawford Nutrition 7 06-01-2006 09:14 AM
Should I take fish oil if I eat fish four or five times a week? Matthew Townsend Nutrition 0 08-03-2005 01:52 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.