CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-14-2010, 04:01 AM   #1
Jean Masson

Profile:
Problem with Paleo (+Diet Critique)

So, I'm getting a little frustrated with the Paleo diet. I haven't seen any improvement in my health or body composition. I'm trying to put on some muscle mass, but instead the more I eat, the fatter I get... I also get some acne now and then even on a Paleo diet. I'm currently 6'2", 180 lbs. Here's what I usually have in one day:

Breakfast (pre-workout): 1.5 cups organic whole milk*, 1 scoop whey protein, some shredded coconut, 2 bananas.

Post-workout: 1.5 cups organic whole milk, 1 scoop whey protein, some berries.

Lunch (usually about an hour after the post-workout meal):
a big piece of meat or fish (no idea how much exactly, but it's big, I usually add some slices of ham if I didn't have enough meat)
-some mixed frozen veggies (to add some variety, I may have some broccoli, spinach or sweet potato instead)
-about 15 macadamias
(meat & veggies cooked with olive oil).

Snack: 2 apples and 30+ almonds.

Dinner: same as lunch.

*about the milk, I tried many brands of coconut milk but I just can't stand the taste, almond milk tastes like paint and goat milk tastes like crap when mixed with fruits. I'm allergic to eggs so no eggs for me.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:38 AM   #2
Chuck Castleberry

Profile:
Re: Problem with Paleo (+Diet Critique)

I'd cut out the banana's and lower your carb numbers and replace those calories with fats or proteins, same with the sweet potatoes. I'd read up on ketogenic diets, and with the whole milk, I'd cut it out for a couple weeks and get those calories from paleo foods and see if you get the results your after. If you really want to cut fat, your gonna need to go with a calorie deficit, you can't get big and burn fat at the same time.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:10 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

More protein and less sugar in the form of fruit. Try cutting the milk, dairy is known to cause acne in a lot of people.

What kind of training are you doing? Is it conducive to gaining muscle mass? Are you sleeping enough?
Old 09-14-2010, 06:16 AM   #4
Damon Stewart

Profile:

That's not the Paleo diet. Paleo does not include dairy. If you're trying to gain weight Paleo + dairy is fine but if you're trying to lean out I'd cut it out.

If you haven't read either of Lorel Cordain's books I'd get them asap. Try eating strict Paleo with less than 100g/day of carbs and you should start leaning out quickly.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:10 AM   #5
Jean Masson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
More protein and less sugar in the form of fruit. Try cutting the milk, dairy is known to cause acne in a lot of people.

What kind of training are you doing? Is it conducive to gaining muscle mass? Are you sleeping enough?
I do Crossfit Football, but usually I have to skip the metcons due to a lack of time. The thing is, I'm progressing in all my lifts (except the press) but it doesn't seem to translate into bigger muscles, and my weight is not going up at all, I'm just getting fatter.

I'm definitely not sleeping enough, but I can't really change that, I just have a hard time falling asleep at night and nothing really helps...

edit: I'd like to cut out dairy, but my options are pretty limited, I'm allergic to eggs and I can't really afford to eat meat 4 times a day.

Last edited by Jean Masson : 09-14-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:12 AM   #6
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Even eating "Paleo" (which, to reiterate what others said, does not include dairy), you still need to have a caloric deficit to lose fat. Fortunately eating a caloric deficit comes a lot more easily on a paleo diet, especially when you cut out things like processed bread/breakfast cereals/poptarts and the like and replace with whole unprocessed carbs, protein and fat. Since the "average" person is first cutting a lot of empty calories and then replacing them with fat and protein, they're very satiated and thus end up losing weight. HOWEVER - if you're still taking in more than maintenance calories on Paleo, which is definitely possible especially if you're eating lots and lots AND LOTS of fat, you'll gain weight.

I also suggest cutting out the milk.