CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-18-2009, 08:38 PM   #11
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Re: Intermittent Fasting...

Think of IF as just a compressed eating window to help you control calorie intake....as you need calorie deficit to lose fat long term. Use it intermittently...hence there is an "I" in IF. Stick to whole foods and don't use IF an an excuse to binge. You should see good results....that and use it as a tool, not a strict diet....as 10 different people could be using IF 10 different ways...but it's easy to do. This could help you get started as well:
http://lifespotlight.com/health/2008...-start-part-i/ (link sfw)
Old 03-19-2009, 12:18 PM   #12
Joey Lajoie

Profile:

I generally do a 16 hour fast 4 - 5 times per week. I also try to eat high quality paleo when I'm not fasting. I usually time my fast to end with my PWO. and I find that I have been hitting some good PR's while working out fasted. It's like my body is instinctively primed to go hunting.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:51 PM   #13
Mike Kerce

Profile:

big thanks to all who have responded...i'm wowed by how well this seems to work and am really looking forward to doing it. if i keep progressing on paleo the next couple weeks (been a breeze so far - much easier than all the other diets i've tried) then i'm going to give IF a go. any recommendations on what frequency to try first? i was thinking of starting with 3 16 hour fasts per week and seeing how that works out. thanks again!
Old 03-19-2009, 01:54 PM   #14
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:

For me paleo is much more simple then the Zone. Then I started to IF and have seen a huge change in my body. I've lost body fat and leaned out which has been hard for me for the last few years.

I take one week off a month from IF and Paleo..need I give details?

I IF about four times a week. My window of eating is from 1pm to 6pm and I eat MEAT! Lots of it! Then fill in with Greens and Nuts! A girl has to have her nuts!

It has become second nature to not eat before 1pm. Most days I don't even think about it.

My WOD's while I'm IF'ing are great. My head is clear and I feel focused. With the weight lost I have lost some strength which I can live with. Re-focusing on form in lifting has made me stronger.

On some weeks I up my hours of IF'ing to 20 hours once a week for 3 weeks. I Just love Paleo its easy and even an moron like myself can do it!
Old 06-20-2009, 06:26 PM   #15
Nicholas DaSilva

Profile:

Im a strict Paleo/Zoner, 16 blocks 2x fat. I just started IF myself two weeks ago and have only done it twice. Coincidentally today is my second day. The way I understood it, and I may be wrong, I fit all my blocks from the moment I wake up to around 5pm after which I stop eating completely but hydrate constantly. When i wake the following day I hit my morning WOD which is around 8am or 9am and then eat afterwards starting around 10ish. So alltogether that is about 15 to 16 hours give or take. If I have this wrong then let me know but its how I understood Rob's article.

- Nick
Old 06-20-2009, 06:40 PM   #16
Justin Emmons

Profile:

I have been IF ing now for 7 weeks. It works very well. I only eat between 5PM and 10PM on the weekdays and make sure I wait until noon on the weekends. I also try to eat fairly clean Paleo exept for one cheat day on the weekends. Thus far, I have continously lost 1/2 an inch a week from my mid section. I have always had a fair amount of muscle but this is the best thing I have ever seen for leaning out. My fasts end up equaling 19hrs. I follow the fast 5 approach http://www.fast-5.com/Fast-5-ebook100 ALL LINKS MUST INDICATE WHETHER OR NOT THEY ARE WORK AND FAMILY SAFE!this is the link to e book. This has worked wonders for me. Good luck.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 07-25-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:34 AM   #17
Laura Kurth

Profile:

I used to do it but found I was kind of just skipping meals, often I would not make up the calories and ended up losing a couple of pounds and feeling like crap at the gym.

However, I can see how this (the skipping meals/less calories) is probably a huge draw to IF and therefore I would suggest it to anybody trying to lose weight.

I still often don't eat breakfast til noon, etc. so I probably do 14 - 15 hr without realising.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:44 PM   #18
Josh Gilfillan

Profile:

Growing up I was always too lazy to make pack my lunch for school, so most days I unintentionally fasted from the night before to about 3.30pm when I got home at which time i cleaned the fridge out eating anything in sight (I was a growing boy). This has stayed with me and I still regularly do not eat all day until dinner. I have just over 9% body fat and am fitter than most guys my age (24).

Also, at school I did very well academically and I've always thought this was in part due to my blood not being directed to my digestive system during class - ie. my brain was much more alert than most other students.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:41 PM   #19
Randy Hill

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Gilfillan View Post
Growing up I was always too lazy to make pack my lunch for school, so most days I unintentionally fasted from the night before to about 3.30pm when I got home at which time i cleaned the fridge out eating anything in sight (I was a growing boy). This has stayed with me and I still regularly do not eat all day until dinner. I have just over 9% body fat and am fitter than most guys my age (24).

Also, at school I did very well academically and I've always thought this was in part due to my blood not being directed to my digestive system during class - ie. my brain was much more alert than most other students.
It wasn't uncommon for me to do the same thing in high school (usually had a cookie or some other junk food in the morning or afternoon though - I couldn't eat breakfast for some reason. It always made me feel sick. Now I can't go without it). I wish I would have known more about fitness then though - I would have bought SS and started drinking gallons of milk as a freshman..
Old 07-25-2009, 03:19 AM   #20
Samantha Aurelio

Profile:

I enjoy fasting, but to be clear, you're not killing you're metabolic state by 'fasting' or 'starving yourself,' as a friend put it to me... are you?