CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:46 AM   #11
Douglas Chapman

Profile:
Re: Affiliate Websites

Daniel,

I was joking.

Seriously though, we don't offer a free session. We offer a TRY OUT, not a free session. Thanks for catching the old way we did it. I forgot that content was there. We screen people to make sure they fit into our community and if there is a good fit between what they want and what we do. We judge the people who train with us based on their ability to be an ongoing part of community. It goes for clients AND trainers.

I disagree about the emphasizing the instructors bio. Most fitness exists on a cult of personality. The half naked chick or the shiny dude in the banana hammock drive it. People should come to train based on programming, not personality. Personality is a portion that unfortunately cannot be eliminated in direct service business. If the instructor is the key part of the training, then the business dies with the trainer.

Thanks for pointing out the discontinuity in my site, I have been meaning to rewrite for some time, but have not found the time.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #12
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Chapman View Post
Daniel,

I disagree about the emphasizing the instructors bio. Most fitness exists on a cult of personality. The half naked chick or the shiny dude in the banana hammock drive it. People should come to train based on programming, not personality. Personality is a portion that unfortunately cannot be eliminated in direct service business. If the instructor is the key part of the training, then the business dies with the trainer..
Douglas,
I have to disagree with you on that. Let's think Nicole, Anne, Greg, Dave and so on. If that's not emphasizing the instructors bio I'm not sure what is. It has and will be people like them that sell the programming as much as the programming. Each personality brings something that reaches a different group. When or if that person leaves at that time they have been (if it took that long) sold on the programming.
To be honest I knew more about the videos of Nicole, Eva and Greg before I ever understood the programming.
People like Jerry Hill bring a huge bright personality to the coaching floor. His people love him and are sold on CF because of him. If he were to leave they would be crushed but they would continue in CF as strong as ever. Its the combo of the two. CrossFit programming has a big personality and so do the people who teach it.
It's one of the main things that sets CrossFit apart from other types of non-fitness fitness....Personality!
Bios are one of my first stops on a site.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:30 PM   #13
Douglas Chapman

Profile:

Jenn,

Your argument and points supports what I said. If the entire HQ staff disappeared today, CrossFit would continue because it is programming, not JUST personality. It is community and content, not a personalty cult. If CrossFit was personality only, it would have died, or slowed down when Coach stopped doing certs. Think of Billy Blanks - without personality he would not have sold a dvd based on the content. It needs Billy and a lot of marketing.

If the key person goes away and the business falters, then it was them and not actually a business. Case in point, HQ has not stopped selling out certs. Another case in point, I looked on the main site for the bios you mentioned and could not find them. I do not believe anyone who goes to a cert cares who is teaching it, I believe it is the standardized content.

From a business perspective, if class attendance drops when the key trainer isn't there, it is a MAJOR weakness in the business. If classes have basically the same attendance across the board regardless of who teaches, then it is the programming and the program. Of my staff, it has been my goal to have the ability to lead and teach to be plus or minus 5% of each other as part of the business and deliver a uniform experience, as much as possible, for my classes. I want people to train with us, not me.

If all I have to offer is what I did 20 years ago as an athlete, or my Fran time or some certificates on the wall to get people in the door, I would be hurting. I apologize about not being clearer on the personalty thing. Hence, anything that creates a cult of personality is bad for the long terms survival of the business. Does that make more sense?
Old 01-13-2009, 03:50 PM   #14
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:

All good points I see what your saying.
As for the bios I was talking about I see the Videos over the years of these folks as their bios.
All said we are on the same page. Thanks for the good convo!
Old 01-13-2009, 04:02 PM   #15
Alima Deneke

Profile:

Seems like my thread kind of got hyjacked.
I understand that content is important, but before I can write content I have to have a format to do that.
I just wanted to know what people's experiences were regarding typepade vs wordpress vs the others.
I have only used blogger myself, so I was hoping for input from people who are familiar with some of the others.
Thanks.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #16
Laurie Bowler

Profile:

Alima-
typepad offers a 2 week free trial and is pretty intuitive. Having no website experience, it was pretty easy to design and update our site. I started with the free trial and stuck with it. It is pretty capable, allowing personalization, expansion, and probably lots of things I can't comprehend.

Others- thanks for the intersting website discussion, it is always enlighteneing to listen to what has and has not worked for others. Our site is our only means of advertising so tips, pointers, how-to, and what not to do's are always appreciated.

Laurie
www.rainiercrossfit.com (WFS)

(I update daily, post bios and prices, sometimes post knarly pictures, and showcase our people. Seems I must be doing something right, we're coming up on 5 years!)
Old 01-13-2009, 08:29 PM   #17
Alima Deneke

Profile:

Thanks Laurie - that's very helpful!

Also, I really like your website! And the structure of your morning workouts sounds awesome. I haven't seen any other Crossfit Facility that works that way. Very cool!

Last edited by Alima Deneke : 01-13-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:11 AM   #18
Kris Murphy

Profile:

We use Wordpad. It's free and very customizable. Just pay for hosting and you're ready to roll.

But the other options out there (Typepad, hosting/blog combos, etc) are also easy to use and good bang for the buck.