CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-30-2007, 10:57 PM   #1
John Tuitele

Profile:
I don't care if this study has lousy carryover from mice to humans. All I care about is that I can quote at least one article that makes me look smart for not only my exercise habit, but also my caffeine intake. I'd like to believe I somehow instinctively knew it was so..........

WASHINGTON - Can adding a cup or two of coffee to the exercise routine increase protection from skin cancer? New research indicates that just might be the case. The combination of exercise and caffeine increased destruction of precancerous cells that had been damaged by the sun's ultraviolet-B radiation, according to a team of researchers at Rutgers University

From this family and work safe link. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070730/...cer_caffeine_2
Old 07-31-2007, 06:31 AM   #2
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Take it with a grain of salt. Caffeine also has negative effects on your body, in addition to whatever other effects the study says. I mean, bleach kills cancer too. But most notably, caffeine increases your heart rate unnaturally, and if your workout requires your brain to bring your heart up to near max HR, it's possible (although how likely I don't know) that the caffeine can push it up to or beyond max HR. There have been athletes who've died from such things, although it was most likely in large amounts, or their body may have been sensitive to caffeine's effects.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:55 PM   #3
David Vessey

Profile:
now all I need is justification for drinking beer and I'm set :D
Old 08-01-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Coffee and caffeine are not the same thing, let's not forget that part.

Also, note what kind of doses of caffeine were involved. Attempts to justify crushing one's adrenals with daily coffee infusions of much more than (let's say) 16 oz. of coffee is not healthy in the long run, IMO.

Addictions to particular foods and the chemicals within them are never good. A simple question I ask about physical addiction is--if the substance is withdrawn, do you get symptoms (ie. coffee and headaches)? If so, one has an unhealthy habit.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:14 AM   #5
Bryan Edge

Profile:
I don't care if this study has lousy carryover from mice to humans. All I care about is that I can quote at least one article that makes me look smart for not only my exercise habit, but also my caffeine intake. I'd like to believe I somehow instinctively knew it was so...

Yay coffee/caffeine! It's one of my few vices. (Although I'd like to cut it down a bit...but my two sub-4-year old children are trying to kill me with sleep deprivation.)
Old 08-02-2007, 09:36 AM   #6
Ken Mindoro

Profile:
Don't forget that caffeine, although a stimulant, actually reduces blood flow to the brain.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:30 PM   #7
Stephen Solano

Profile:
Please let me enjoy this moment.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:38 PM   #8
Kevin McMillan

Profile:
steve im with you, lets enjoy some "good" albeit light weight research findings,

cheers and enjoy that jo!