CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-01-2008, 07:12 AM   #11
James Forshaw

Profile:
Re: Need Help Seeing Results

Dude, the alcohol and your diet are holding you back. Yes, you could be eating a whole lot worse, but you could also be eating a whole lot better (cereal for one is complete tripe). For example, you are eating almost nothing but carbohydrate for breakfast, half of which is in simple sugar form. Once you've read the journal article that has been suggested, and you apply the advice, then you'll be on track.
Justin's advice is good too. If fat loss is what you want, then I also believe, nee 'know', that additional sprinting 2 or 3 times a week is extremely effective.
My last McDonalds was 4 years ago, and I drink about a tenth as much as my friends do, but these facts alone aren't enough. If you want an extraordinary body, it takes extraordinary effort and sacrifice.
Old 08-01-2008, 07:16 AM   #12
Scott Borre

Profile:

Before and after pictures. If you have them I bet you'll notice a big difference. But just as with aging, until you look at old pictures you often don't notice differences because you see yourself in the mirror every day. Now you might notice 'big' differences of course (such as going from fat to visible abs).

It seems like a broken record but you asked...

reasons you haven't seen a big change

1) You have changed, but still have loose skin and still probably have plenty of fat.

2) Stop with the 'now.' You don't need change now. You need change long term. You are biasing things because you expect that a few months will change a lifetime of unhealthiness.

3) Stop looking at other peoples before and after pictures. You are probably expecting some of the results that other people are achieving, but you don't need to compare. You might take longer to achieve your goals. But you might not be as dedicates as they are/were too.

4) Get a journal. Record all your exercising and what you eat/drink.

5) Don't ask people for advice if you aren't willing to a) Do and share #4, b) follow the advice. That doesn't mean following part of the advice 'well i'll have grass fed beef on thursday, and I won't have cake on tuesday'. It means following it. Or rather, it means establishing a plan and sticking to it. Sometimes plans don't work if you cheat at all. If you cheat you might get zero changes, but if you follow it strictly you might get amazing changes.

I'm not being harsh or anything, nor accusing you of bad things. I'm just stating that if you are serious about it you need to at least follow 4 & 5. I also imagine that you know what you are doing wrong. Most people do. They know when they aren't eating properly, know they are 'cheating' too much, know they aren't exercising properly, know they aren't resting properly, etc.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:01 AM   #13
Paul Sousa

Profile:

You are 26, welcome to adulthood. I was able to eat like crap when I was young and I was always thin (I also played basketball for hours every day). Once I hit my mid 20s the weight came on out of nowhere. hat's when I realized I really needed to change my diet. I took what I thought were big steps and as I stated earlier lost about 25 pounds, but then I hit a plateau. I looked at what I was eating/drinking and realized that although it was better than the normal person, it still wasn't enough for my goals. I'm now down another 10 pounds since January and can actually see some definition in my midsection. I know it sucks, but if it's what you really want then it's really that simple.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:25 PM   #14
John Pavlic

Profile:

Brett:

You really should pick up a book on the Zone diet, you can get them for next to nothing at half-price boks. That style of eating has really helped me. Once you balance your proteins, carbs and healthy fats in each meal (the combination that eat at one time) its like night and day for both losing weight and not feeling like you are hungry when you are "dieting." You can even still drink alcohol to a certain extent, as long as you eat some protein with the each drink.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:57 PM   #15
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Cassel View Post
All,

Thanks for the advice. The thing that I have trouble getting around is that 4-5 years ago, I drank much, much more, and ate very poorly - fast food all the time, milkshakes and cheesesteaks at 2:00 in the morning.

I don't detect that big of a difference in my physique from then to now. I haven't had fast food in five years. I eat healthy and I work out. And, I drink far less. What's holding me back? Because I feel like I've made some definite adjustments nutritionally.
It's your diet. Even if it's "better" it still sucks man.

I said it, and others said it. Figure out your diet first. Food choices, then quantity.

You're 26, I just turned 25 and already notice that I can't keep my appearance where I want it without attention to food intake and quality. When I was 16, I thought I ate healthy and found out about 6 years later... that I really didn't.

Some resources you may find helpful:
Most important: Paleo Diet... quality, quality, quality, quality.....

After that any of these should help you get to where you want to be. NHE, Anabolic/Metabolic Diet, Protein Power Life Plan, Anything by Lyle McDonald.
And the post popular around here... Zone.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:16 AM   #16
David Maerk

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Cassel View Post

The point: the main differences in my physique since starting CrossFit are that my chest has shrunk and that Iíve lost about ten pounds. I still carry a little pudge around my lower midsection, although my upper abdominals are well-defined. What am I doing wrong? I want to take my body from good to great. Iíve worked out with guys before that have the same lifestyle as me, eat much worse than I do, party much more, but still look better. Any advice? I simply feel like the effort I put towards working out and staying healthy isnít eliciting the results I want.

Thanks for any help.
Two things come to mind.

1. My pecs shrank too, so I added in flyes. Vanity, I know, but I just like having thick pecs, and it only takes a minute to throw them in at the end of a workout. (Everyone says dips are a superior exercise, but I've never felt them in the pecs.)

2. Appearance in general. You might want to extend this concept a bit and switch to a body-building routine, if looks are really important to you. Or some sort of hybrid..
Old 08-03-2008, 03:07 PM   #17
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
What am I doing wrong?
IMO you should be chasing performance instead of appearance. I didn't see any mention about your Crossfit performance is getting better. That's what I'd say needs the biggest adjustment.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:46 PM   #18
Mike Goldberg

Profile:

As everyone else has said here - diet.

Try going strict for two weeks. Sacrifice everything for just that period - eat perfectly proportioned meals, cut out the breads, sugar, etc.

The added bonus here: higher performance. Just as a test, see how many wall ball, burpees, pullups, or whatever exercise you can do before needing a break. Then two weeks into the diet, see how many you can do. You'll be pleasantly surprised with the results!

For me, it was like 7 wall ball before, 15 after. I mean, it's THAT dramatic!

So you'll perform better, which means you'll have more intensity, which means you'll get closer to your goals, and as an added benefit, you'll notice much more of a physical difference. It WILL take time, but be patient. It really works.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:43 PM   #19
Charles Bennington

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goldberg View Post
As everyone else has said here - diet.

Try going strict for two weeks. Sacrifice everything for just that period - eat perfectly proportioned meals, cut out the breads, sugar, etc.

The added bonus here: higher performance. Just as a test, see how many wall ball, burpees, pullups, or whatever exercise you can do before needing a break. Then two weeks into the diet, see how many you can do. You'll be pleasantly surprised with the results!

For me, it was like 7 wall ball before, 15 after. I mean, it's THAT dramatic!

So you'll perform better, which means you'll have more intensity, which means you'll get closer to your goals, and as an added benefit, you'll notice much more of a physical difference. It WILL take time, but be patient. It really works.
This right here is the best advise anyone can give you at this point. Don't worry about making a huge commitment to life long rules and habit forming right away, chances are you will be overwhelmed. Plus short term is much easier to focus on.

After 2 weeks you will have seen enough of a difference that you will have a very easy time making up your mind.

I did an uber strict Zone for 10 days a couple months ago. In those 10 days performance jumped and abs popped.

Come on over to the Challenges forum and jump in on the kicking grains/sugar for 21 days. If you eat strict for those 21 days and don't see dramatic results, I will donate to a charity of your choosing.

I know that it's discouraging to try and be good to yourself and your body, while your friends and acquaintances eat like crap and drink and party all the time. Only to have them look better with their shirts off. Just remember that age is the great equalizer and it will get hard for them too.

Performing at a high level and looking like an anatomy chart is damn hard work, if it wasn't- everyone would be there.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:07 PM   #20
Kevin McMahon

Profile:

Heres one thing that will show you really what you are eating. Absolutely everything you eat, write it down. Then take a look at the Zone diet and see where you are with the blocks. Really its going to sound redundant, but diet is everything when it comes to how you look.

You say its "good" but things like cereal, and pb and j are sabotaging everything that you are doing. Drinking, well, a lot of us enjoy it, but you could find ways to cut back, and maybe a hobby thats better and more gratifying for you.

It depends what your goals are, and its seems like right now you are right now at least, concerned with how you look, and everyone will keep saying diet because if you are doing Xfit the way you claim, thats what is holding you back without doubt.