CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-21-2007, 11:01 AM   #1
Mark Edwards

Profile:
Veterans: How long did you s*&K?

Edit: I mean veterans at Crossfit, obviously, not military veterans.

How long did you suck at Crossfit WODs before you started to feel like you were turning out performances that were other than embarassing?

I'm not in great condition, but I'm not in terrible condition either. At least I didn't think so. I've been doing the WOD for just shy of a month, and I'm totally committed to continuing. But my WOD performances, compared to others who post their scores and times to the comments, are pathetic. I mean, I'm a 195 lb., 6'1", 38 yom, and my scores are routinely trounced by women at 60% of my weight or 150% of my age. And that's WITH substitutions, like jumping pull-ups and assisted ring dips, and at weights a FRACTION of those rx'd.

Anyone out there experience something similar? Are there points of sudden, measurable progress? Or is it all in tiny increments? And how long did it take you to feel like your WOD results were within a normal range compared to others doing crossfit?

Thanks. I hope I'm not coming across as whiny and needing my hand held. I'm just very disturbed by my results and wondering, for those of you who went through that, how long it took you to break through to a more normal range for someone your age, weight, height and gender. Thanks!

Last edited by Mark Edwards : 08-21-2007 at 11:04 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-21-2007, 11:11 AM   #2
Bryan Edge

Profile:
Re: Veterans: How long did you s*&K?

I've been doing CF for a couple years or so, and I still suck.

Regardless, I've made significant, steady gains in many areas.

I went from "never deadlifted ever" to "can deadlift 2x my bodyweight".

I went from "never squatted" to "squatted 195LBS (butt to ankles depth)" for a personal record a while back.

I went from "never rowed" to "rowed a 5K in 20:03 (personal record) just yesterday.

I knocked out 20 rounds of Cindy -- another personal record -- just a few months ago.

I've hit various other personal records -- like 20 kipped pullups.

And this all comes from half-assin' it. I don't have a life that allows for strict adherence to the WODs in terms of time/schedule/days on/days off, etc. I generally eat reasonably well, but I don't follow a strict Paleo diet or anything.

IF you work it, it will come -- and there will never cease to be a new benchmark, time, weight, or goal that won't continue taunting you to beat it.

As they say, it's about the journey, not the destination.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:58 AM   #3
Jeff Martin

Profile:

One of my favorite quotes regarding CrossFit is :
"It is very motivating to get your sac publicly smoked by a five-foot female hippie pottery teacher from the local high school." (Special Forces reaction to CrossFit seminar)

Two things it helps to remember:
1. The longer you stay the better you'll be.
2. There is no quick way to be great at CrossFit.

We had dinner with a CrossFitter who has been doing this for 7 years a couple of months ago and she told us she had just PR'd her Helen.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:45 PM   #4
Kellee Rassau

Profile:

I'm by no means a CrossFit veteran, but in 3 short months of doing this crazy stuff, I've posted PRs in almost every lift, and many of the Benchmark workouts the next time I field an attempt. Compared to some of the top dogs, I totally s*&k, but my personal progress has been satisfactory.
I tried "J.T." about two weeks after I started and posted a 10 minute time. I did J.T. a few days ago and did it in just under 7 minutes. I can't do J.T. as rx'd, but I used the same modifications and subs both times, so the only thing that changed was me.
Look at it this way, if you compete against yourself, you'll have more reliable and measurable data. Comparing yourself to the rest of the class may just make you unnecessarily frustrated.
Limit your focus to what you can do and how much better you want to do it. No matter how good you are, there's always someone out there who's going to be better. The fact that you're doing anything puts you ahead of 60% of the American adult population, so welcome aboard, keep it up, and more power to you!
Old 08-21-2007, 03:17 PM   #5
Charles Bennington

Profile:

When I look at some of the CF monsters' times I still feel like I suck. It isn't something that just happens. There is no countdown to elite fitness. Just keep track of your WODs and PRs. Look back in monthly incriments and see how far you've come.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:43 PM   #6
David Sailor

Profile:

16 mos in and I'll let you know when I don't s*&k. This post is timely because I just got done making a note on the blog after tonights Tabata Something Else. My score was less than last time and I'm completely frustrated. I went in planning to improve and just couldn't do it.

A couple of thoughts, though:

When starting, I think there's room for improvement more quickly early on than down the road. Getting used to the movements, the WOD, the intensity allows for quicker times.

As much as I want to measure myself against the top performers, I keep reminding myself that it's not realistic. I'm measuring against myself, not others.

There are times when I'm in a plateau, like right now. Nothing seems to make a difference: hydration, rest, attitude adjustment. It will pass and I will continue to make improvements.

I also realistically expect improvements to be marginal and hard won rather than the bigger gaps in advancement when I first started. This is not a defeatist attitude, I think it's just how the curve works regarding advancement. I believe that I can continue to improve in all of the areas of fitness. David
Old 08-21-2007, 04:58 PM   #7
Alex McClung

Profile:

46 YO male, 240#.
I started the WODs in August 2004. My posts are still mediocre (at best) by Crossfit standards. I would say that I still suck, but my notes from the last three years show continuous progress in all benchmarks. I remember coach saying something like "we're not practicing weightlifting, we're practicing commitment". That phrase fuels me late in "Murphy" or "Linda" way more than some elite X-fitter's recent posts. Stick with it, this game rewards the long-term players.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:21 PM   #8
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

Stick with it, keep a journal, in a year look back and see how far you've come. That's really all that matters.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:33 PM   #9
Steve Lobotsky

Profile:

Mark ,relax 1 month is not alot of time no matter what your doing.
I've been CF'ing for 2 years,just turned 51 ,some things still suck, others are doing just fine..My problem was I found CF at the same time I had shoulder surgery,so it was a struggle for at least a year. I feel that in the last couple months I've made some pretty good gains. Still a bit weak on the heavy stuff,but it improves every time.
Go in ,work your butt off,relax your head,and one day in the future you'll be cranking out a 25 round Cindy.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:35 PM   #10
David Vessey

Profile:

I thought I'd be one of the only ones to post saying I think I still suck. I've been at this solid since about last November, and like everyone else has already mentioned, I've continued to see improvements in pretty much everything, but still can't compare to a lot of the daily posters.