CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:46 PM   #1
Bryan Edge

Profile:
Just an idea that crossed my mind recently. I thought I'd look for some advice/info here.

My Garage Gym has come along nicely -- nice enough, in fact, that I could potentially rent the space out to personal trainers (Crossfit or otherwise) who want to use it for their clients (in a 1-to-1 or perhaps small group setting).

I was wondering if anyone else has done this, and if you have, what do you charge? How did you 'advertise' ? Do you need special insurance?

I'm not looking to run a business or a Crossfit facility. I am building my home gym/dojo first and foremost for myself and my family. However, if I could use it to turn a little extra cash for new equipment or just to help pay the bills, I'm open to the idea.

Thanks for any info!
Old 12-07-2006, 01:54 PM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Make sure any trainer that walks through your door has insurance and has your home as covered by the insurance. If you're renting space, you won't know everyone who might use the space.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:30 PM   #3
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Since you aren't looking to run a CF facility, I'm going to move this out of "Running A CF Facility." :bangin: Off to Community with ya...
Old 12-07-2006, 04:55 PM   #4
John Velandra

Profile:
Bryan,
I'd be ery hesitant to do that.... quite a few red-flags pop up. Add to Roger's points and then add the following:
1. Trainer is bringing people to YOUR home, interupting YOUR lifestyle. It's all fun and games until you don't want the traffic in YOUR place, but now the traine has built up THEIR biz.... sticky!
2. People (strangers) know YOUR personal business, lifestle and where YOU live - whether you want it or not.
3. Zoning issues. A neighbor might be okay with YOU and overlook it, but someone else...
3. Biz growth - your traffic flow through area.
Personal liability beyon what "should" be covered. 4. Your property (living area and yard) is now up for liability.
Just my two cents off the cuff.... good luck but think every possible scenario through first!
Old 12-08-2006, 12:06 PM   #5
Bryan Edge

Profile:
Thanks for the info. Not sure if I'll ever pursue it or not, but I've got such a nice gym/dojo brewing it seems a shame not to put it to work a little and make some $ for it. On the other hand, I may just eventually teach martial arts or something out of it (more for fun than profit)...

Old 12-08-2006, 03:27 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
I wouldnt trust another trainer in your garage, if they mess up...hurt the client, he will sue you and you are liable...plus not a lawyer but now if you are not Inc, he can go after personal assets and have your house! CYA at all times!