CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-11-2004, 02:17 PM   #21
Ross Hunt

Profile:
John,

I have to admit the pitch makes me extremely cautious, but I am interested in the mechanics of the machine and the effect it has on you; if it's possible to build a machine that makes you cough up a lung faster than a C2, I want to know about it!
Could you describe in detail exactly what motion you go through on the machine, and what the impact is? I am particularly interested in to what degree muscular endurance of different complexes are challenged, how this limits the ability to exert oneself aerobically, and how easy it is to 'see Pukie' on this machine as compared to Tabata C2 sprints, high-repetition barbell clean-and-jerks, etcetera.
Thanks for mentioning this, seriously.

Ross
Old 08-11-2004, 03:09 PM   #22
John de la Garza

Profile:
Paul,

good point...that is kind of why I sent mine back in favor of doing a few massively compound moves...like muscleups, snatches, etc

Ross,

for upperbody:

you start in a forward pos as reaching forward grabbing the bars you pull back with your lowerback and arms till you end up with your lower back and legs at about a 110 deg ange and your armsall the way backas far you as you go (usually slightly behind your lower rips). then you reverse and push using your pecs, shoulders, and abs all the way till you get to pos 1 (your hams are stretched to and you are leaning forward) as you push forward the bars want to push out and you push them in (liek a fly) at the same time pushing forward

you do this back and forth and you are immediatly breathing heavy

on the lower body move: it is like a stair machine but you go through the full range, one leg up and as high as you can raise it or till it hits your chest the other leg all the way down, then it is like a one legged squat

then you do this from leg to leg...ifyou have trouble with a one legged squat you can use yoru arms in a dip like way to push up, ir you are stronger you can using the same bar to pull yourself down

personally, I felt like after doing this, that I had a great feeling. My chest, back and arms where almost pumped and you can easily make your self puke if you push hard for four minutes

the next day, (on my first workout) my tris, chest, back and bi where sore

you can really push hard but the things moves pretty slow

on the leg side i didn't get very sore, but I wasn't really pullin gmyself down
Old 08-12-2004, 07:17 AM   #23
Ross Hunt

Profile:
John,

Thanks for the clear description. I don't have 14K lying around, but I think I may take a closer look at this machine for the sake of figuring out the biomechanical principles behind it.

Thanks again,

Ross
Old 08-12-2004, 12:00 PM   #24
John de la Garza

Profile:
you can get it used from the manufacturer for like $9000

I wrote them an email asking them to give me one or loan me one for a year test...
I said I'd do it exclusivly as they recommend and take daily measurements and tests (weight, strength, etc)

and make a year long report with graphs and charts...
I doubt they'll do it, but if I where them, I would

they had a test done by a phd ad USC, but after doing research on him, it seems like he'll pretty much give a thumbs up to anything for the right motivation ($$)

that's just my opionion