CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-04-2004, 04:38 PM   #1
Rick Worthington

Profile:

Our wrestling team is in the process of revamping our stregnth training facility. Our budget is fairly limited and we have most of the required Crossfit equipment (kettlebells, weights, rings, medicine balls etc). Our problem is with pull up bars to accomodate around 30 people working out at once - meaning maybe ten on the bars at one time. Door mounted options are out as are bars placed permanently in the ground (the down side of public school limitations). We are trying to find either:
1. Cheap, free standing bars (or ideas on homemade options since many of our athletes weld fairly well). or
2. Cheap wall mounted options.
I've seen pics of Crossfit gyms (can't remember which one) with a rather long wall mounted bar.
Any advice on construction or purchasing will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:08 PM   #2
Brian Hand

Profile:

Rick, this is kind of a tough one, do you think some pipe scaffolding might work for you?
Old 08-04-2004, 08:35 PM   #3
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
CF North has long metal bars suspended from the ceiling. Don't know if something like that might work for you...?

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/4763.jpg

More photos at http://www.crossfitnorth.com/ds/gym.htm.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:52 PM   #4
Ed Velasco

Profile:
We had the same issue with a small wrestling room. Ended up mounting 2 of the double pull up bars from Wolverine Sports. I believe you will find that the ability for 4 boys to work at a time will be sufficient for all but the largest groups and that the tendency to slack off is lessened when they cant hide in the crowd, not that teen aged males would ever try to slack off.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:00 AM   #5
Rick Worthington

Profile:

Thanks so much for the help gals and guys!

Carrie - that was the exact picture I saw the pull up bar on. We have some pipe but how did you attach from the ceiling - chain, rope? Any details you can provide would be great!

Ed - Wolverine sports has exactly what I was talking about as well - cheap, easy to mount pull up bars. I might try getting one their free standing ones and see how it works out. Thanks for the website.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:29 PM   #6
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
They're suspended on metal cable from ceiling beams (way up there, since the gym has really high ceilings). They can get swinging, especially when there's a whole mess of people on them at once, as in the photo, but that just adds another element of challenge to it all. I don't have more technical info on how they were installed, but maybe Dave Werner will weigh in with some details when he's back online in a few days. I could get you some additional photos too, if you're seriously interested.

I notice in photos from the CF mother ship in Santa Cruz that they have a long wall-mounted bar that looks pretty cool. See the photos in the WOD archives on the main page for Saturday June 5 and Friday June 11 (in the background). There are also a couple photos from other facilities that show shorter bars on wall-mounted brackets (see Saturday June 12 and Thursday July 29, for example). Seems like something along those lines would be a pretty doable project.

Good luck, and let us know what you come up with.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:15 AM   #7
Donald Woodson

Profile:

There's basically three ways to make loops in the ends of cable. One way is splicing the end back into itself. Not easy with steel cable.
The other two ways are described here:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/pro...mId=1611575337
Then open their ADOBE page. You can get by with the crimp style without buying their special crimper. I either smash them shut in a vise, or beat them shut with a hammer.
Or the cheapest and probably easiest way is with the U bolt type cable clamps, but I've had them work loose before, so use some Loctite on the threads.
Or, you could just use dog chain and some little clevises, or some 1/4x20 bolts, washers and nuts.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:59 AM   #8
Brian Hand

Profile:

There is another product that will put a loop in the end of wire rope etc., the Gripple, see www.gripple.com. More $$ but easy to use. You might want to back them up with a u-bolt.

Hanging by chain makes sounds better to me, I don't like working with wire rope. You could also suspend the pipe with elbows, tees, flanges, and pipe, if you can get pipe threaded at acceptable lengths. More $$ of course and another job for Loctite.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:07 PM   #9
Ed Velasco

Profile:
The various do - it yourself bar set -ups are intriguing but I would not want to stand before a jury for any injury. School administrations have become increasingly picky about exercise room safety.In our county the chance of having one of the home -made hanging multi person use bars passing legal and engineering scrutiny would be slim. Any time one is dealing with a group of children and their parents, one of whom may be looking for early retirement I would recommend the use of commercial vendors who are reputable and have liability insurance. Not an attorney but have seen some interesting situations arise in soccer clubs I have been in a board position.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:37 PM   #10
Rick Worthington

Profile:

Ed - I think you might right (actually, I'm quite sure of it). I would love to have found a better free standing bar set up (one that can support rings for muscle ups) than the one offered by Wolverine sports but I've had little luck unless I pay over $300 which is too much. I really like the set up CF North has though! With 30 or more guys going through the WOD each day it's tough to find enough bar space to keep everyone moving.
We are planning to buy 3 free standing ones and a few wall mounted ones (for inside the wrestling room) from Wolverine sports. Thanks for everyone's input, it is greatly appreciated as always. I'll post a thread when we get our bars up and running.