CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #11
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Jogging vs. Walking for Recovery

I think Josh Everett's comment is loosely based off of the idea of active recovery. The idea that moving in some capacity will help with circulation and help clear metabolic waste products. This can make sense in a cool down after a workout out (as they showed Froning doing rows after one of the events), and also makes sense to do the next day after a hard session.

But, during a workout I don't know if there is any good evidence for or against it. I think Chris brings up a good point about oxygen debt. So during a workout there may be a compromise between oxygen debt and clearing out metabolic waste. If you jog, you might help circulate better, but you also might worsen oxygen debt and other general energy stores. If you walk, you might not circulate as well, but you are letting energy stores regenerate. Most likely the more intense the main work, the less intense you want the active recovery to be.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:12 PM   #12
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

I'm speaking from 12+ years of track & cross country, private teams, college, etc

The recovery is based on your HR and the end result desired from the program you are following

If you are doing HARD all out movements and are wanting to recover faster, walk. This will bring your heart rate down faster and allow a quicker recovery

If you are running intervals / doing med/med high and want your heart rate to drop some but not as much then jog, otherwise walk for the given rest period. Often these workouts consist of 1:1 or 1:1.5 recovery times (60 sec on/off). You are training your body to stay at this high level and recover as much as possible with an elevated HR.

With a 60%/70% effort run, the "cool down" jog is great after a long distance for recovery. Here you are dropping to 40% to help slow down the heart rate gradually and then drop to a walk when you are done things like a 3 mile run, etc. Here the jogging aspect is to help with the cool down and prevention of getting tight.

Let's be honest. The commentary from the CF guys isn't something to swear by... Not being ugly but to say Chan was jogging to recover was so off from the truth. To say that Chan was recovering better by jogging in that circumstance again was totally wrong.

In the right "workout" environment yes that statement could work. Here it does not.

It's like wrestling, when you have a break between rounds you lie flat on the mat sucking in the air you can. You recover best in that short time by doing that. You won't see guys jogging around the mat to 'recover'. Yes I wrestled, did judo competitively. After 15 mins straight the only way to recover at first was the "crossfit position"
Old 07-19-2012, 05:43 AM   #13
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn M Wilson View Post
It's like wrestling, when you have a break between rounds you lie flat on the mat sucking in the air you can. You recover best in that short time by doing that. You won't see guys jogging around the mat to 'recover'. Yes I wrestled, did judo competitively. After 15 mins straight the only way to recover at first was the "crossfit position"
This is also what Mark Twight recommends, I believe.