CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 01-23-2012, 05:04 AM   #11
Pearse Shields

Profile:
Re: Leading by example

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Consider Bill Belichick's career as a football player, or Phil Jackson's as a basketball player.

In martial arts, my experience is that the best teachers are the ones who have put the most effort into learning how to teach, not necessarily the ones who are the most skillful themselves.

Katherine
Yes, but there are different teaching styles the same as there are different learning styles. I'm still learning how to teach- no mistake about it. But as I said, there are different teaching styles. I have to be able to understand something to teach it, and to be able to understand it, I have to be able to do it with some degree of skill.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #12
Kevin Benson

Profile:

I guess it boils down to what establishes legitimacy for you, the client. For me its hands on experience and a high level of proficiency with what is being taught.

So, back to the OP, make a list of what’s most important to you and what will work best with you’re learning style and find a coach, trainer, gym, etc. that meets those criteria.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #13
Matt Rexin

Profile:

The ideal coach is someone who is proficient, experienced and educated about what they do, as well as capable of passing that knowledge and skill on. I think that regardless of how educated, experienced and proficient someone is at something, if they can't successfully pass on that knowledge or skill then they won't be a great coach.
Mike Singletary was a phenomenal linebacker but as a head coach at least he was a bust. (Ask any 49ers fan).Being proficient at something does not always equal the ability to pass on that knowledge to people. Being able to pass those skills and knowledge along in a way that registers with people is a skill all in its own.
For me personally, I would go with someone who has experience in the field, as long as they are not coasting by on a name.

Last edited by Matt Rexin : 02-01-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #14
Ian Girvan

Profile:

To all the Aussies here, do you rate the ASCA? I've been thinking about doing the Level 1 online, as I have a lot of spare time at work with which to study. But I don't want to waste time and money with a dodgy organisation
Old 02-28-2012, 03:55 AM   #15
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Girvan View Post
To all the Aussies here, do you rate the ASCA? I've been thinking about doing the Level 1 online, as I have a lot of spare time at work with which to study. But I don't want to waste time and money with a dodgy organisation
Yeah ASCA is one of the best quals here IMO. I'd choose a trainer who had ASCA over a person who had CFL1 or Bachelor in Sports Science.

Keep in mind - the ASCA lvl 1 requirement. Requires 30 days on the job experience to pass, too.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:41 AM   #16
Scott Walters

Profile:

I would plan on doing level one and two at least. I am doing the level 1, and while it is good, the guy mentoring me is a 3, his knowledge is freaky!

Edith cowen uni also has a masters in strength and conditioning I am temped by!
Old 02-28-2012, 05:49 AM   #17
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Walters View Post
I would plan on doing level one and two at least. I am doing the level 1, and while it is good, the guy mentoring me is a 3, his knowledge is freaky!

Edith cowen uni also has a masters in strength and conditioning I am temped by!
Does your current qualification allow you do masters in S&C or do you have to do some other pre-req first? Does that mean you're moving to Perth? I went to Edith Cowan
Old 02-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #18
Scott Walters

Profile:

Current qualificAtion is probably ok, with a bridging course or two, but no, not moving it is pretty much distance with some residentials. Won't be this year, or probably next, maybe 2014 when tin lid heads off to school
Old 02-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #19
Ian Girvan

Profile:

Thanks guys! I'll look into it further