CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: LuRong seriously?

Please do not use that product. It is nothing special and certainly not what they claim.

P.T. Barnum still lives in the supplement industry...

Lol at CrossFit endorsing it.

As for the deer antler and being somehow equivalent to steroids... Holy crap! Anyone that believes that is horribly ignorant on the topic.

Here's a little hint, pro athletes when they get busted like to say the positive was from the use of a supplement which they bought over the counter. In other words, they are not "bad" guys etc. It's all b.s. Andro did not make Mark McGuire a huge guy who broke records. Andro was his "cover" (my opinion I would bet my life on).
Old 01-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #12
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:

Just to be clear I'm not taking this or would I ever. I have someone I'm close to someone that thinks this is a new wonder drug. It's helping him sleep and recover...so on. Because he feels it works he wants to share it with others and this is where it gets sticky. I just don't want to promote anything of the sort. It does not help that other CFs are thinking its an amazing product and that its helping them go beast mode! Ahahahahg!
Ive done my reading on the topic and agree with a lot of the post here about it. Just in a frustrating situation.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #13
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:

http://www.lurongliving.com/
(w/f/s)
It's been a while I forgot the rules
Old 03-01-2012, 11:22 PM   #14
Katie Bell

Profile:

Hey all,

I'm one of the members of the HQ legal staff. We're aware of the claims that LuRong has been making about being "approved." They certainly are not approved by CrossFit®, and we're working on making sure all of that false information is removed.

Sorry about the confusion.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:38 PM   #15
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Dudley View Post
This was a pretty hot topic when it came out a few years ago, Roy Williams and a few other big name football players admitted to use it for recovery.
I hear steroids are pretty good for recovery. Maybe it works as a stack.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #16
Danny Putnam

Profile:

Hey guys,

I have some information about LuRong that might help your discussion. My name is Danny Putnam and I am a fellow CrossFitter. I work out with Coach B (Mike Burgener) in Bonsall, CA. Yeah BURPEES! I am also a former Major League Baseball player and the Co-Founder of LuRong Living. I appreciate the thoughts you have all shared and understand your questions. First off, I can tell you that as a professional athlete I would never have put my name next to a product that would threaten my career or my reputation, nor would I try to sell something that I didn’t first experience the benefits myself.
I am not going to use this forum to advertise our company or our product, but I do want to provide some factual information that you can use to make any decisions you want. With that disclaimer made, here is some information you might be interested in. I apologize in advance if this post gets lengthy. We believe in educating, so I hope you enjoy the read.

1. LuRong Living Essential is not endorsed or approved by CrossFit HQ. They are not in the business of approving or promoting individual products. There may have been some confusion based on an affiliate link, and I apologize for any confusion (sorry Katie). However, the popularity of LuRong Living Essential has grown because of the results people are experiencing. We (Adam Greenberg CEO/Co-Founder and I) are Crossfitters and we are looking to help grow and support the sport and lifestyle of CrossFit in any way we can.

2. LuRong Living Essential is certified for Sport under the BSCG program
This certification scientifically proves that every batch of LuRong Living Essential is pure and clean, free of banned substances including anabolic agents and stimulants. The BSCG (Banned Substance Control Group) is led by Don Catlin one of the fathers of drug testing in sports and anti-doping research in the United States. He has worked side by side with everyone from the Olympic Games, World Cup, NCAA, MLB's Minor Leagues, and the NFL.
LuRong Living Essential is a natural whole food product, so it does not act like a steroid and we don’t advertise it as such. As a whole food it naturally contains dietary levels of several nutrients that are missing from the modern diet. Velvet Deer Antler has been a staple in the diet of many traditional cultures for more than 2000 years and is still used in many dishes today including soups. The nutrients in LuRong Living Essential are digested naturally and utilized as food. Therefore, LuRong Living Essential doesn’t act as a steroid. Jennifer, you are right in that the IGF-1 in LuRong is digesting, which is why it does not act as a precursor to HGH. The presence of IGF-1 is common to many animal products including meat and dairy. The reason LuRong works is because is not limited to one component like IGF-1.
The stories you have been hearing from around the Crossfit community are from people who have responded dramatically to the nutritional properties found in velvet antler as a whole food. Taking LuRong is essentially the same at taking a natural product like fish oil. We are all trying to supply our bodies with what it needs to be healthy and function optimally.

3. The Difference between LuRong Living Essential and the velvet antler sprays in the NFL: There was some noise in the media last January when NFL players were linked to an “IGF-1 concentrated Deer Velvet Antler Extract”. The spray products are advertised as extracted concentrates and some have altered delivery systems. One company was even found to produce a product that was spiked or contaminated with Methyl-T (synthetic steroid). What may have once been a natural product, they changed and altered into something entirely different. I could write about 5 pages about this, but I will summarize it this way- I cannot speak for other companies or what they put into their products, but LuRong Living Essential is left in its pure whole food form so the body will utilize the nutrient naturally. We don’t extract any nutrients out and we don’t add any in. What you get is powerful nutrition and nothing more.
I don’t want you to just take my word for it. That is why we have gone the extra mile to get BSCG certification.

Sorry to get lengthy, and I probably didn’t get to all these questions, but I hope this helps. If you have any questions or concerns I would be happy to do my best to answer them, and please feel free to share your thoughts.

Sincerely,

Danny Putnam
Old 03-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #17
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

While testimonials are nice and dandy, if NFL guys are willing to endorse this:

http://www.powerbalance.com/ (WFS)

Read more here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Balance (WFS)

then testimonials become completely meaningless, especially when they fall into the "No really, I felt much much better, getting paid for this ad is just coincidental" category.

The website says there is extensive scientific research that Deer Velvet Antler has an effect, would you mind linking said studies?
Old 03-20-2012, 12:43 AM   #18
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Just curious. Are you the same Danny Putnam who had a cup of coffee with the A's in 2007?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...utnada01.shtml (WFS)

Katherine
Old 03-20-2012, 07:57 AM   #19
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Just curious. Are you the same Danny Putnam who had a cup of coffee with the A's in 2007?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...utnada01.shtml (WFS)

Katherine
If that "cup of coffee" reference is meant as an insult, Katherine, please note that whomever's stats that link is to, the kid in question was a Major League Baseball 1st Round Draft Pick. Whether he excelled on the next level, or not, that still puts him at ELITE athlete status, no matter what metrics you are using. Hundreds of thousands of kids (perhaps millions) wish to be drafted into major league sports - ever, let alone in the first round... almost ALL of them never will be.

Just saying -
Old 03-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #20
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Absolutely not meant as an insult. I'm a big baseball fan, and well aware of what it takes to get to single A, much less the majors.

Katherine