CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #11
Matt Rexin

Profile:
Re: Air Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
I guess bigger difference for the US, we're a unified military, no separate branches, all same requirements throughout Army, RCN and RCAF.
Same requirements?!
You may want to check your facts there, Drew.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #12
Evan Phillips

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Shuty View Post
I see that airladies talk crap as well as they fight....
Sir, I'm guessing you've served, and probably longer than I have... so I'm not in the position to talk any 'smack'.

But I wish we could sit down over a drink and discuss some of the jobs that you probably don't even know exist. How countless Airmen are serving over in Afghanistan and Iraq in direct support of soldiers and marines, and how countless more owe their lives to them.

I would never disrespect a soldier or marine, because while it's doubtful I could ever do their job, they sure as hell couldn't do mine.

And I would love to see you tell a PJ they don't fight wars.

Last edited by Evan Phillips : 12-09-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:30 PM   #13
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Rexin View Post
Same requirements?!
You may want to check your facts there, Drew.
Are you in the CF?

I am, i've worn all 3 colours too. Last I checked we all do the same fitness tests to get in. We all do the same Basic training, we're all held to the same standards.

Ever hear of something called universality of service. Means no matter what you're job you have to be able to soldier as well, aka ruck your 13km, etc...

so maybe you might want to check your facts Matt.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:04 AM   #14
Matt Rexin

Profile:

Quote:
Are you in the CF?

I am, i've worn all 3 colours too. Last I checked we all do the same fitness tests to get in. We all do the same Basic training, we're all held to the same standards.

Ever hear of something called universality of service. Means no matter what you're job you have to be able to soldier as well, aka ruck your 13km, etc...

so maybe you might want to check your facts Matt.
Ok, Drew, since you seem to have taken offence to my simple correction of you I would like to direct you to DAOD 5023-2, physical fitness program. It CLEARLY states that there are a variety of different physical standards for different occupations and operations, which means that there are different fitness standards.

To throw up the fitness standard to get in, that is also wrong as firefighters, JTF and SAR techs (not to mention a few others) are held to higher fitness standards than the average recruit. Fitness is also measured differently for flight crew. To reiterate my point, different occupations have DIFFERENT fitness standards.
I believe that's called getting served, son.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #15
Matt Rexin

Profile:

Quote:
I guess bigger difference for the US, we're a unified military, no separate branches, all same requirements throughout Army, RCN and RCAF.
This is what you wrote, not about the standards for getting in, which differ depending on the trade you get into. So both ways, you are still wrong.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #16
Evan Phillips

Profile:

Matt, you mentioned flight crew has different requirements? I'm very curious as to what they are... around here there are quite a few out of shape Canadian flyers.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #17
Matt Rexin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Phillips View Post
Matt, you mentioned flight crew has different requirements? I'm very curious as to what they are... around here there are quite a few out of shape Canadian flyers.
Hey Evan, what I meant is that they undergo a different physical and "fitness" assessment than other occupations. It's "measured" differently in that they undergo pressure testing and vision tests that are more difficult.
I can't comment on their specific fitness requirements since I'm not a pilot.

As to the out of shape flyers, you know as well as I do that "remedial" PT'ers seem to be on the rise in any military.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:42 AM   #18
William Hoke

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Shuty View Post
I see that airladies talk crap as well as they fight....
We'd be more than happy to smack talk, however, we are not limited to a three syllable vocabulary, so you wouldn't understand what we are saying anyway. ziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #19
William Hoke

Profile:

Quote:
...Except there was absolutely nothing mentioned about requirements to get in or assessments in the original post. It was a simple question about if CrossFit was followed in the AF like it is in the Army and Marines.

And I'll leave the comments about the differences between the US and Canada alone.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:12 PM   #20
Erik Glynn

Profile:

In all seriousness.

I know of members in all US military branches that do CrossFit. It's hard to fit because we don't have the average 9-5 schedules, but it's possible to fit if you really want to.

I've seen Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and AFB's all have CrossFit gyms...and their packed 24/7. It's good stuff.