CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 11-14-2011, 07:48 AM   #1
Heath Shumate

Profile:
Surprising Real World Results

Brief history, I dont go to a box, but I have ample equipment and hit it as hard as I can on a very regular basis. I eat good nearly all the time. Im 41 and 6'2" and go 210lbs. And Im not looking to take anyones games medals from them. What I am looking for is to maintain a very active and energized life with minimal injury. Heres the story. A few weeks ago I watched the video about the guys doing the elk hunting and how Crossfit helped them so much. I thought that was a very cool video as it was not a competition or a wod but a real world test of the hard work they had put in. Now, this past Saturday my 13 yr old and I went deer hunting on some public land near our home. Pretty eventful day. He took a couple of shots and missed. Even though they were long shots and I know he missed we still went and looked for blood. With no motorized vehicles allowed on the property we ended up walking around 8+ miles. All the while carrying backpacks and going up and down hills and hollows in some very rugged terrain. After our day seem to be over and we were back at our truck, I ran into a friend who said they had killed a deer and were going back to retrieve it. From the point where we were parked it was probably 3+ miles in there to where the deer was located. Mind you this man is very very heavy and had an 8 yr old child with him. He was already covered in sweat just walking out to get a wheeled buggy to go back and get the deer. He was in schock when I said we would go back and help him get it. He said man thats more than 3 miles in there. I dont have any money to pay you either. I explained to him that I didnt want his money or anything like that. All I wanted was for these boys to have a good experience on this hunt. So we take his buggy(similar to an open wheelbarrow) and travel 3 miles down a gravel road to where the deer is located. Load the deer and start out. With most of it being uphill. Like I said this man is very very heavy and has a young boy with him. So he and I are pulling this deer up this road and he stops me and says Im gonna have to stop and take a break. After only about 50 yds. So I made the offer to push the deer myself and they could walk at their on pace. Once again said I dont have any money to pay you. I told him that the smile on that 8 yr olds face was enough for me. Besides it was his first deer. So I begin pushing this deer back on this 3 mile trek. Once my son and I got ahead a little bit it gave us some time to talk about some things. One being how individuals should take better care of themselves. Im not talking about the man cause hes overweight. But I wanted my son to realize how much of a struggle it would of been for them to bring that deer out of there. And even though my son is very fit from lifting at school. It shouldnt stop there and should be part of ones lifestyle throught life. Ok we get back to the truck get the deer loaded and I have still yet to break a sweat. Once we say our goodbyes and thanks yous and what not my son and I head home. As we are driving my tells me hes glad we stopped and helped those guys. He said he was worried about that guy and wondered how he would have done than without us. 2 things I am proud of from this story. 1-I hope my son sees the importance of staying in shape and how it can offer you a more vibrant fullfilling life. And its not so important to workout just because you want to look good but to have a functional strong body, mind and spirit. 2-After a very taxing hunt I did go home and knock out a WOD. Even after getting up at 3am. Not tooting my own horn here but realizing that all the hard work Ive been putting in does have real world benefits. The Crossfit method has definetly helped me achieve a good balance of strength and endurance to do the necessary things that come my way in my everyday life. I know this was a long story but I really wanted to share it. I am very proud of where my fitness level is. Knowing I have even more to offer is what drives me to give my all every workout. Thanks Crossfit!!!
Old 11-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
Travis Rask

Profile:
Re: Surprising Real World Results

Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend Paragraphs and the return button are your friend
Old 11-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Ian Nigh

Profile:

good read, thanks for sharing. keep crossfitting and see you at the games (WHY NOT?)!
Old 11-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
Greg Pack

Profile:

Good story and great job helping your neighbor.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
Michael L Gardner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pack View Post
Good story and great job helping your neighbor.
Amen to that. Although I do not hunt, this was an enjoyable experience for you and me as well. Great to see how CrossFit truly works!
Old 12-10-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
Danny Edwards

Profile:

I also hunt. Often. In fact I just posted my own Crossfit / hunting success post. Great to hear that you are introducing the next generation to the wild. Congratulations on your success and I too operate out of a garage gym.