CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
Clint Nelson

Profile:
Was it difficult starting out?

I have been to my local crossfit affiliate a couple of times and there are things I really like about, the intensity of the workouts, its less boring than the gym, the group atmostphere seems like it would keep me more accountable, and the goal being fitness rather than how I look in a tank top with another inch on my arms. That being said there are a couple issues I have, one the workouts are pretty much to intense for me, There have been a quite a few that I havent even come close to finishing, and pretty much thought I was going to pass out. In a normal gym where half the people are out of shape no big deal, but when every one else is in great shape and looks like they are ready for a triathlon afterwards, it kind of sucks. Anybody else run into this problem?
Old 08-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
John Awad

Profile:
Re: Was it difficult starting out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint Nelson View Post
I have been to my local crossfit affiliate a couple of times and there are things I really like about, the intensity of the workouts, its less boring than the gym, the group atmostphere seems like it would keep me more accountable, and the goal being fitness rather than how I look in a tank top with another inch on my arms. That being said there are a couple issues I have, one the workouts are pretty much to intense for me, There have been a quite a few that I havent even come close to finishing, and pretty much thought I was going to pass out. In a normal gym where half the people are out of shape no big deal, but when every one else is in great shape and looks like they are ready for a triathlon afterwards, it kind of sucks. Anybody else run into this problem?
Does your affiliate offer scaling? I'm on my second month of crossfit and it's been great, but without the scaling options...I'd have major trouble finishing some workouts.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
Shelly Griswold

Profile:

Quote:
That being said there are a couple issues I have, one the workouts are pretty much to intense for me, There have been a quite a few that I havent even come close to finishing, and pretty much thought I was going to pass out.
Hi Clint,

I started CF in June, about 8 weeks ago. I had been doing some exercise before that, but was really out of shape (46 years old, started at 286# and 39.2% body fat.) I work twice a week with a CF trainer and on my own two or three times a week.

So if you look at "puppy" scaling, I'm not even there yet. But no matter what the workout is, I can always scale it to my level.

As for intensity, I sure know what you mean! Today I did a "Death by ..." workout, and before the last two rounds, I was begging my trainer (and the gym manager who was there coaching me along, too) not to make me do anymore. I thought I was gonna die. But they pulled one more full round out of me and another 60% round after I began begging. I love them, even though it's hard to feel that way during a WOD!

The one thing I'm learning about CF is that it is teaching me that I am capable of so much more than I had ever imagined.

I hope you'll decide to scale workouts. I can imagine that it would be demotivating to feel like you can't finish a workout.

Good luck to you. If I can do it, anyone can, considering the shape I was in when I started!
Old 08-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
Sean Waklee

Profile:

[QUOTE=Clint Nelson;975555]I have been to my local crossfit affiliate a couple of times and there are things I really like about, the intensity of the workouts, its less boring than the gym, the group atmostphere seems like it would keep me more accountable, and the goal being fitness rather than how I look in a tank top with another inch on my arms. That being said there are a couple issues I have, one the workouts are pretty much to intense for me, There have been a quite a few that I havent even come close to finishing, and pretty much thought I was going to pass out. In a normal gym where half the people are out of shape no big deal, but when every one else is in great shape and looks like they are ready for a triathlon afterwards, it kind of sucks. Anybody else run into this problem?

If you aren't finishing WODS then your not scaling enough. The philosophy at my box is it's better to scale to what you can do but not so much that it's easy. That being said don't sell yourself short. Put your mind to it and you'd be surprised at what you can accomplish. Go into every WOD with the mindset that you will finish it. Good luck and stick with it. You'll be surprised at how quickly you progress.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
Scott Walters

Profile:

Hey mate, I started in feb, still can not finish everything, still have to scale a lot. Don't get discouraged. Do what you can, and watch the changes happen. They will, it just takes time. I will probably never be the fire breathing, six pack guy, but by always doing my best, I can hold my head high
Old 08-17-2011, 01:03 AM   #6
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

scaling!!!!
at first i was a little intimidated by all the super fit people..mbeing female and 60 i felt i would always be making a fool of yself... little did i know then how welcoming and supportive a strong Cf community is. I can certainly hold my hed up doing the WODs but usually have to scale them.. but all that really matters is going ones best on the day

H
Old 08-17-2011, 07:05 AM   #7
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Difficult starting out? Read my log, I vomited and passed out just from the warmup the first time I went. These days I do fairly well in 4 wods a week, albeit fairly scaled.

Just get in and do it. The more you do it (and read forums/Journal on the side) the more you'll learn and from there you'll work out where you want to take your training. Maybe you'll realise you want to do a strength program alongside crossfit or maybe you'll realise another cf box in your area better suits you, etc.

Most importantly, enjoy it.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #8
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
There have been a quite a few that I haven't even come close to finishing, and pretty much thought I was going to pass out.
They are not correctly scaling your workouts. Let me be a little clearer they are doing a bad job of coaching/training.

There are several things I'm looking for when I scale a workout.

1) It will not create extreme soreness in the new member. My definition of extreme soreness is being unable to go about your regular daily activities due to being too sore. Some soreness is going to happen but we want it at a manageable level.

2) The member is able to maintain good form & technique. Great example of this is medium weight deadlifts in rounds. Lots of new people can do 5 with good form but then everything starts to break down. The weight needs to be light enough that even in latter rounds form is maintained. Quality before quantity always!

3) The new member should be finishing in about the same time as everyone else. Say with in 20% of gym average. If the average time is 20 minutes on a longer met-con then I want them done by 24 minutes. If it looks like that is not going to happen I scale more early in the workout.

If the trainers are not correctly scaling then speak up and protect yourself. You will make better progress with less likelihood of an injury with correctly scaled workouts.

If you live somewhere with multiple affiliates go check out some of the other gyms.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:07 AM   #9
Alison Webster

Profile:

Yes scaling is it! I am two months shy of my 45th Bday and thought I was in fairly decent shape. I was a bit off to say the least. I was intimidated more by myself(weird) because I was afraid that I would be holding the group back for lack of knowledge and skill level. The coaches at my box and even some of the veterans have been so supportive and helpful. Don't give up your coaches should be scaling your workouts or at least offering an orientatation program to get you up to speed with the movements and WOD's as a whole. Crossfit is awesome I love it! I have only been at it a few weeks and I am looking forward to getting stronger everyday.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #10
Justin Bond

Profile:

I'm a newbie too and it's all about the scaling. It's amazing how much easier a WOD gets just from stripping a pair of ten pound plates from the bar.

1. Barbells. Does your local box have the short 15 pound barbells? Start out using those, perhaps with a pair of tens on them. Don't worry if the other guys are doing 95 pounds or more.
2. Pullups. Use the bands if you can't do pullups dead hang. If you can't even do them doubling up on the bands, then use the rings to do "body rows". That's basically like a pushup but upside down. You grab the rings with your feet on the floor and pull your upper body up. (Go to youtube and do a search on ring rows or body rows). You can even scale a body row. Just grab the rings and lean back into them and pull yourself back to a standing position. The closer you get your feet under the rings, the easier.
3. Burpees. Walk them in and out, one foot at a time.
4. Box jumps. Step up and step back down. If you are feeling adventurous, jump up but step back down. It's still easier than doing the full jump.

You can scale anything! I even invented a safe Crossfit WOD for my mother in law, who is sedentary and has rheumatoid arthritis.

* Up and down a flight of stairs
* 5 pushups against the wall. Stand as close as you need to.

As many rounds as possible in 2 minutes (building up time with practice)