CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #1
Steven Quadros

Profile:
Ring training... incredibly difficult!

Hey all, finally got a chance to set my rings up in the garage, and have a few questions.

Firstly, is it normal to have the rope brush your arms while doing dips?

Is the false grip supposed to be so damned harsh on the forearms? I managed to eek out two chins with the grip, but eventually had to settle for rows with my feet on the ground and and trying to hang with some leg support. My grip and forearms felt so blasted in a way I haven't felt since I started kipping. I assume this is just a lack of exposure to the false grip and strength will come, but damn! It's hard!

Besides those two questions, I just wanted to comment on how difficult it is to use these things! I can get 10 dead hang pull ups on a bar, and more than 10 dips on parallel dip bars, but could only manage about two dips and two false grip chins, given that the ROM on the dips was quite a bit lower.

I'm dropping all bar work for now and concentrating on these rings on my rest days from SS. I'll have to take it easy as not to ruin my recovery, but I'm very impressed.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:41 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Ring training... incredibly difficult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Quadros View Post
Hey all, finally got a chance to set my rings up in the garage, and have a few questions.

Firstly, is it normal to have the rope brush your arms while doing dips?

Yes. The way to get them off your forearms is to start to turn the rings out (aka turn your palms so that they face forward).

P.S. Don't try this right away unless you wanna fall on your face.

Is the false grip supposed to be so damned harsh on the forearms? I managed to eek out two chins with the grip, but eventually had to settle for rows with my feet on the ground and and trying to hang with some leg support. My grip and forearms felt so blasted in a way I haven't felt since I started kipping. I assume this is just a lack of exposure to the false grip and strength will come, but damn! It's hard!

Yes, the false grip hurts a lot at first. You will get used to it.

Besides those two questions, I just wanted to comment on how difficult it is to use these things! I can get 10 dead hang pull ups on a bar, and more than 10 dips on parallel dip bars, but could only manage about two dips and two false grip chins, given that the ROM on the dips was quite a bit lower.

Yep. Love them. All I do for upper body now is pretty much with a pair of rings and then a little bit of pullup bar and parallettes. Rings are sick.

I'm dropping all bar work for now and concentrating on these rings on my rest days from SS. I'll have to take it easy as not to ruin my recovery, but I'm very impressed.

Enjoy. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.. although probably use the same thread so that we don't have another 324234545 rings threads.

Search first though.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:43 PM   #3
Richard Vanmeerbeek

Profile:

I completely understand you on that one Steven ! I was shocked when I first received my rings. Every dip felt like a battle literally with the whole ring shaking !

It's normal that it the rope brushes you in the beginning, it's something that you will avoid as you get better.

But of course, it gets better after a couple days on it, it's just a matter of getting used to that new balance I would say. It's definitely the most useful and entertaining tool you can get

Have fun with them !

PS : the false grip is still a **** for me !
Old 04-11-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

C'mon, rings are so much fun! Just use them as often as you can.
Tomorrow is a gymnastics day and I will have to use rings for one hour. Woo-hoo!
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 04-11-2008, 02:19 PM   #5
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

I'm a ringaholic. The rope still touches my arms during dips. It's ok as long as it's a temporary grease the groove thing. I'm building my ring pullups with my most comfortable trip till I have 15, then I'll work on false grips. I love L-pullups on them also. I also mix in ring pushups. They'll help the dips also. Enjoy them!
Old 04-11-2008, 09:29 PM   #6
Travis Hall

Profile:

I also did rows to strengthen my false grip. Worked pretty fast. Keep with it!
Old 04-11-2008, 09:36 PM   #7
Kevin Perry

Profile:

Rings are awesome.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:34 AM   #8
Chad Skola

Profile:

I got my rings like 3 weeks ago and couldnt hardly do anything on them and now I can do two sets to 10 dips(first set is on bars) during the CF Warmup. I also have manage to bust out 2 back-to-back muscle ups. Oh as for the pushups I would do as many pushups a day as you are anything else on the rings. Watch the playing with ring pushups video. Work on being able to that also.

Enjoy them. They are the best.....If only that would have been my first gift from my parents when I was born? Life would have been so different.
70in/150#Go to my website to make a donation to a young 13 year old. Your donation will help make living with Cerebral Palsy a little bit easier. His name is Dax and his story can be found from my site also.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:43 AM   #9
Steven Quadros

Profile:

Lenora, the guy at Beastskills.com recommends learning the false grip off the bat, simply because you won't, after having established pull up strength on the rings, have to go back to square one to re-establish false grip strength.

I'm going to the park later to find a good tree and work out! These things are amazing!

Brought them to work (I work in a gym), and my false grip felt much more secure even just doing it later in the day, though it's ripping skin off of my wrist, right underneath the major crease at the bottom of my hand. I'm getting more used to finding a "groove" in which to have the ring so it doesn't do that.

I want the muscleup!
Old 04-12-2008, 07:54 AM   #10
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

I would put something on to protect wrists. When first learning MU I ripped skin on both of my wrists pretty badly and was not able to touch rings for a week.
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19