CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
Jamie Murphy

Profile:
1 down & a lifetime to go!

Just started cf after letting fear and intimidation keep me from it for way too long. As in did my first class yesterday. Of course today I can hardly move. Hubby said I needed to stretch and do a few moves to work the soreness out. Did that and now my thighs hurt even worse! Any tips on alleviating this pain? Have my second class tomorrow and now I'm even more terrified. I can hardly do the work as it is, how can I do it when my legs are hardly working?!
Old 07-03-2013, 03:04 AM   #2
Chris Jones

Profile:
Re: 1 down & a lifetime to go!

getting back to work tomorrow will most likely help you loosen up a little bit actually, it shouldnt be as bad as you think it will. Also, if youre going through an on-ramp program or initial classes, the coach will know what your last workout was and it should be part of a "master plan" in the long run.

You can always check out mobilityWOD.com for videos on how to stretch and relieve some soreness as well as improve your ROM and flexibility. Once your workouts are more consistent your body will adapt and wont be sore as frequently. That is until heavy squats or a Hero WOD rolls around, then youll know it
Old 07-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Drink ALOT of water. Tell the coach of your soreness and they should adjust for it.

Stick to it and Scale back and start slow and easy. Oh and drink lots of water.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
Jamie Murphy

Profile:

I think I should have some concerns. Hard to say since I have zero training experience. Do I trust the trainers and go with the killing myself and being so sore I am in bed for 2 days is better than nothing theory....OR do I bow out gracefully and say crossfit is not for me at this time? There is only one gym in my area, so I sorta feel stuck. I'm just not confident in the trainers I guess. I explained all my medical problems (including but not limited to fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, and several knee surgeries) but I don't feel like they heard me. PLEASE don't get me wrong, I know I'm going to hurt...I know it is going to be the hardest thing I've ever done...BUT with that being said, is it okay for me to jump rope as a warm up and then do 80 squats after multiple knee surgeries? Cuz now I'm stuck on my butt with swollen knees wrapped in ice throughout the day & can't play with my toddler very well cuz getting down on the floor is impossible. I'm already feeling frustrated, ignored, and suspicious. Words of wisdom?
Old 07-08-2013, 12:06 AM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
but I don't feel like they heard me...I'm already feeling frustrated, ignored, and suspicious
You should never have this problem with your coach or gym.

Did you go full in to a regular WOD? Not foundations or say L1 programming (if they do programming in levels).

SCALE. And remember you have to watch out for yourself more than anyone is.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:02 AM   #6
Phil Washlow

Profile:

Hopefully your feeling of frustration and being ignored goes away and I truly hope your coaches are more helpful in the future. That being said definitely continue to talk to them about your limitations.

In terms of the soreness and swelling my best advice is to drink tons of water and keep moving around. Swelling is improved by muscle contraction.

Intensity is relative, make sure to talk to the coaches about the level of soreness that you felt, let them know that you want to work hard and push yourself in order to adapt but you're concerned that you may have pushed too hard and ask for advice. I hope you do not bow out, adjust for safety and keep pushing!