CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
Erik Knudsen

Profile:
Metabolic Conditioning - What is it?

All -

What does metabolic conditioning mean to you? If someone said to point out a "well metabolically conditioned" athlete - what would you look for?

I read over Glassman's article about MC and basically he's saying that anaerobic exercising has many practical benefits. I think he's advocating the benefits of high intensity workouts done over relatively short periods of time vs the conventional wisdom of "45 minutes on the elliptical."

Or, I can ask the question another way: What isn't metabolic conditioning or training? Maybe part of my confusion is that there's probably several avenues one can take to be metabolically conditioned. There may not be a one size fits all approach.

Erik
Old 06-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
Larry Bruce

Profile:
Re: Metabolic Conditioning - What is it?

All exercise works the 3 systems to some degree: ATP-PC/Glycotic/Aerobic. All of it is metabolic conditioning. In that sense it's a misnomer.

METCONs I feel forces the body to develop an almost 4th metabolic level: the ability to work all 3, jointly or switching emphasis, at a high level and to recover quickly. To me this improves metabolic efficiency, if there is such a term.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Knudsen View Post
What does metabolic conditioning mean to you? If someone said to point out a "well metabolically conditioned" athlete - what would you look for?
See Rich Froning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Knudsen View Post
Or, I can ask the question another way: What isn't metabolic conditioning or training? Erik
Metabolic simply refers to energy pathways. The ability to do work and maintain work output over time is the symptom of how well the pathways are developed.

The one area we deal with that is a little blurry is max strength. It is a combination of energy path ways, neurological development and structural development.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
Christopher Walls

Profile:

Click on link for the training guide in my link, download it and it has a lot of information on that topic.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:30 AM   #5
Alex Novak

Profile:

But what is BEST way to be well metabolicaly conditioned ahtlete?

Froning seems to do a lot of intervals on rower/airdyne nad intervals with diffrent movement.He doesnt do a lot of metcons...
Old 06-24-2013, 06:51 AM   #6
Jeff Enge

Profile:

That's the same thing as asking what the BEST way to be strong is. It's different for everybody.

Being "metabolically conditioned" is not a thing by itself, if it is anything it is a combination of being well-conditioned in each of the metabolic pathways.

So the best way to do that is to train in a very balanced manner, using all of the pathways available.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #7
Alex Novak

Profile:

I was thinking for someone, who is competitor...unless he is close to the competitions isnt smarter to do more rowing/airdyne/running than matcons(for conditioning), beacouse metcons are very taxing and "cardio" stuff isnt as much?
Old 06-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #8
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Novak View Post
I was thinking for someone, who is competitor...unless he is close to the competitions isnt smarter to do more rowing/airdyne/running than matcons(for conditioning), beacouse metcons are very taxing and "cardio" stuff isnt as much?
Here's where the confusion lies. Rowing/Airdyne/running in the way Froning is doing it (interval style, different intensities and time domains) IS metabolic conditioning work.

All "MetCon" means is a piece specifically designed to harness one or more of the classic "conditioning" pathways, whether it is one movement or many, weightlifting movments, gymnastics movements or monostructural movements.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #9
BMH

Profile:  

Agree with Jeff. Everyone thinks metcons and crossfit are these weight and body weight complexes. It is about conditioning pathways. The workout to do that is just a tool. The use of the anaerobic / aerobic pathways is what you are aiming to train using the workouts (tools) to build the machine.