CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-11-2013, 05:46 AM   #1
Ryan Mallinson

Profile:
I need some direction!

Hey,

I've been doing CF for a year now and I want to take some direction for my next cycle.

Since August, I have not been able to go all out at CF as I compete at football (soccer) which takes a lot out of me. I come from a running background and thats where my engine comes from.

Here's my stats, nothing mind blowing:

Weight:85kg
Height: 5'8"

Deadlift:190kg
Squat:110kg
Press: 65kg
Bench: 90kg

I am fully committing to CF for the forseeble and need some direction. My goal is to get leaner, quicker and stronger. Simple ; )

I follow 90% paleo so I'm on my nutrition.

Just need some advice really, I was looking at CF mainpage or CF Football. Can anyone offer up some info?

Thanks
Old 06-11-2013, 05:49 AM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: I need some direction!

Do you have more specific goals? Everybody wants to get quicker, leaner and stronger but everybody also has different definitions and priorities when it comes to these things.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:18 AM   #3
Ryan Mallinson

Profile:

Hi, thanks for your response.

I guess I was being a bit tongue in cheek there. I don't really have any specific goals other than to get better at CF.

I have a 10K race in august which I plan to adopt some of the CFendurance training into and towards. I simply don't have the time to fully commit to CF endurance though.

I'm at a bit of a crossroads really and need a kick!
Old 06-11-2013, 06:39 AM   #4
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mallinson View Post
I guess I was being a bit tongue in cheek there. I don't really have any specific goals other than to get better at CF.
Without specific goals, I think you're going to find it hard for anyone to give you specific direction. "Get better at CF" means different things for different people.

- Mark
Old 06-11-2013, 06:39 AM   #5
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Well, you have lots of options, but you've got the right idea in looking for the right program to follow instead of making up your own, especially if you are working out on your own.

It sounds like you want to do more of a pure-CrossFit program instead of a linear progression strength-MetCon hybrid, so here's a few places you could look depending on what you want.

Mainpage CF is OK if you're just looking for fitness, the negative is that it's usually just one set and it may be a little tough to have consistency when you are jumping from a back squat max to a 30-minute MetCon to a running workout almost randomly as the mainpage is wont to do.

CF Football was obviously developed for power athletes. There is a linear progression-style strength portion and then usually a short, fast, heavy MetCon. Also there's a lot less skill level involved - you won't see much in the way of full Olympic lifts or gymnastics.

You've looked at CF Endurance, I'm not a fan as I was a competitive swimmer for 13 years and don't feel like training that way anymore, so I can't tell you a ton about it. It's there if you want to look into it though in any case.

The Outlaw Way is a CrossFit competitor's training program. I wouldn't recommend it until you get to a relatively high skill level, but again it is out there. It's high volume and very skill-intense, but you can take portions out if you don't want to do them. Outlaw CrossFit's affiliate WOD blog is a scaled-back version of this.

OPT is a CrossFit-inspired set of programs. They have different skill levels you can choose from. Another one I don't know a ton about but have heard some good things. Someone else will have to chime in there.

And then there are all number of affiliate that have WOD blogs that you can follow. A lot of them have some kind of training bias or goal in mind but you will have to do your own research on those.

If you have specfic questions on these or really anything else, don't be a stranger! There's a lot of people around these parts and together they have a pretty good base of knowledge to draw from.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #6
Ryan Mallinson

Profile:

That's some good solid advice Jeff and it's much appreciated. I will have a deeper look into all this evening.

I've identified my weaknesses and set aside a day each week to address them. I've just come off of Wendler, which I liked as it was measureable. A lot of the programming I'm looking at seems to lack that. Unless I am missing something.

I'm really leaning towards CF Football as I liek the look of wod's if nothing else.