CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > In Search of CrossFitters
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

In Search of CrossFitters For finding other CrossFitters to CrossFit with

Old 08-28-2009, 09:57 AM   #1
Leon Robotham

Profile:
Affiliates near Clinton MD.

Hi Guys,

My dad lives on Clinton Drive in Maryland and i'm just wondering which affiliates are close by. I'd really like for him to visit an affiliate and get a taste of what we do, he's currently extremely out of shape and puts it down to his busy life as an attorney which is bs. Fact is he used to be extremely fit back in the day and was a hand to hand combat instructor for the RAF regiment. I think that if he gets himself to an affiliate and simply tries a workout that he will be hooked and hopefully begin to regain the fitness he once had. Most importantly to me though is that he get's back to health rather than being tubby and unhealthy! He wasn't too bad when he left England for the States but now he's just getting bigger and ruining his health.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:06 AM   #2
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: Affiliates near Clinton MD.

If he has some type of military ID that the US military would recognize, he could hit the WOD at Andrews AFB, run by CrossFit Alexandria.

Otherwise, he can go up to the beltway and follow the outer loop around to the boxes in MD or go to the inner loop and hit the boxes in Alexandria/NOVA.

My bad - just learned of Southern Maryland CF (in Waldorf) by looking at the affiliate page. I have never visited the box, so I don't know anything about them.

Last edited by Sean Dunston; 08-28-2009 at 11:13 AM..
Old 08-29-2009, 02:38 AM   #3
Leon Robotham

Profile:

Hi Sean, thanks for the advice.

He has military ID that the US forces should recognise. He was a Flight Lt in the Royal Air Force and H2H combat instructor for thr R.A.F regiment for 22 years. He's long been a civilian but he still has all his papers etc, would that mean he'd still be eligible to train with the guys at Andrews Air Force Base?

Which boxes have you visited and what did you like about them?
Old 08-29-2009, 03:16 AM   #4
Christopher Delgado

Profile:

The only two I am somewhat familiar with in the area are CF Oldtown and Potomac Crossfit. CF Oldtown is where one of the guys out here with trains when he is home. He has high praise for it and from what Ive seen of him Id feel comfortable recommending it. Potomac CF is owned in part by a friend of mine. Knowing him, Id be comfortable recommending that one to someone as well since he is a stand-up guy.

As for him getting on to Andrews, I dont know what the policy is for retirees from allied nations military. I would assume they would let him on but the best idea might be to call the Security Forces Squadron on base and ask them what the policy is.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:23 AM   #5
Leon Robotham

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Delgado View Post
The only two I am somewhat familiar with in the area are CF Oldtown and Potomac Crossfit. CF Oldtown is where one of the guys out here with trains when he is home. He has high praise for it and from what Ive seen of him Id feel comfortable recommending it. Potomac CF is owned in part by a friend of mine. Knowing him, Id be comfortable recommending that one to someone as well since he is a stand-up guy.

As for him getting on to Andrews, I dont know what the policy is for retirees from allied nations military. I would assume they would let him on but the best idea might be to call the Security Forces Squadron on base and ask them what the policy is.

Hope this helps.
That helps massively Christopher, thank you. Was it Potomac crossfit whose twitter page I would have followed for the games updates? If their training is as good as their updates they're sure to be banging. I'd refresh the twitter page every minute or so and there'd be another update! Also, CF OLdtown is Jerry Hills place right ? I'd be happy to send him to either of those. Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:34 AM   #6
Christopher Delgado

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Robotham View Post
That helps massively Christopher, thank you. Was it Potomac crossfit whose twitter page I would have followed for the games updates? If their training is as good as their updates they're sure to be banging. I'd refresh the twitter page every minute or so and there'd be another update! Also, CF OLdtown is Jerry Hills place right ? I'd be happy to send him to either of those. Thanks for the advice.

I dont know if Potomac CF was doing Twitter updates. But yes CF Oldtown is Jerry Hill's box, pretty sure about that at any rate. Glad I could help.

Chris