CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-17-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
John J. Rivera

Profile:
Continue with CrossFit or switch to SS?

I'm doing CrossFit for the past week, with the "Buttercup" scaled workout from BrandX. My times are generally as good or better than the general average that I see on BrandX and the main site. I can probably do Puppies now, but want to ease into it first.

But as I was reading the FAQ, and found the CrossFit Total rankings. I did the CrossFit Total WOD last week, and my total was 205. That's pathetically below the Untrained ranking for my bodyweight. (To be untrained, my score should be about 250).

What do you guys think I should do? Stick with CrossFit or switch to SS?

I've done SS twice before, and both times I built up from 45 lbs on all exercises to about 90-100# on all but the shoulder press, where I was at around 75-80#. I got stuck after about 2 weeks, and couldn't keep up the gains, and I'd have to get micro-weights to progress. That was when I quit both times :/

I don't know if it's my diet or what, but I couldn't possibly keep up the progress that the program suggests. Not even the scaled back progression worked - I could lift 90# on the squat, but not 95#, for instance. That's after only 2 weeks.

I admit I am enjoying CrossFit a lot more - SS was a boring and frustrating experience.

Any advice?
Old 04-17-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
Rene Forestier

Profile:
Re: Continue with CrossFit or switch to SS?

Keep on with CrossFit for now. You will advance in your heavy lifts as well as your metcons.

Revisit doing a cycle of SS when you get closer to the rx'd weights on the WODs.

SS is awesome, but I think you will get more out of it with a better GPP base.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:19 AM   #3
Carl Tucker

Profile:

Well, I'm no expert, but I'm a guy who was you, a few months ago. I was doing StrongLifts 5x5, which is similar to SS, when I discovered CrossFit and switched.

When I started CrossFit, I was about where you say you are now. My max press was 65. Just the other day, my press on the CFT was 95. Still not fantastic, I know, but that was without really lifting heavy, just doing the buttercup wods.

So, I'd stick to the WOD if I were you, but I know I've seen the opposite advice here on the board from time to time as well. It's probably going to come down to: which do you like enough to stick to it? The best program doesn't work if you get bored and give up, so the fun factor does matter.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:56 AM   #4
Alex Europa

Profile:

Have you considered going to your local affiliate? You've got the famous-perhaps infamous, LOL-Adrian Bozman (from the Boz and Todd Experience - W/F/S) and Kelly Starrett (from the recent CrossFit Journal mobility series - W/F/S) in the same town as you. If it was me, I would do just about anything to make training with them possible.

As for your question, give us a little background and current measurements (ht/wt/bf%), as well as your goals. What was your diet like on SS?

Lastly, I wouldn't be too concerned about "easing" into the various levels of scaling. If you think you can do it, just go for it! Understand that you aren't stuck to a particular level of scaling. Just because you did BC today, doesn't mean that you can't do Puppies, Pack, or Porch tomorrow; it all depends on what workout comes up. Just subscribe to the CrossFit progression of Technique--->Consistancy--->Intensity, while getting your diet in order (Paleo/Zone) and you'll see results in no time.

- Alex
Old 04-18-2009, 03:25 AM   #5
John J. Rivera

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Europa View Post
Have you considered going to your local affiliate? You've got the famous-perhaps infamous, LOL-Adrian Bozman (from the Boz and Todd Experience - W/F/S) and Kelly Starrett (from the recent CrossFit Journal mobility series - W/F/S) in the same town as you. If it was me, I would do just about anything to make training with them possible.
I did check out CrossFit SF in the Presidio, but they're a bit too pricey for me - $75 for just one hour? That's a little too much for me.

Quote:
As for your question, give us a little background and current measurements (ht/wt/bf%), as well as your goals. What was your diet like on SS?
My stats: 5'10", ~130 lbs, 5-10% bodyfat. Yeah, definitely not aiming to lose weight. Gaining weight is nice, but my real goal is to get myself fit. Not really for any particular sports or anything, just functional fitness. Basically, exactly what CrossFit aims to accomplish.

While I was doing SS, I was basically on the bodybuilder diet. 3000+ calories everyday. I try to keep it relatively clean, with oatmeal, pasta, olive oil, nuts, yogurt, protein whey, some veggies/fruit thrown in for good measure. And some ice cream

Quote:
Lastly, I wouldn't be too concerned about "easing" into the various levels of scaling. If you think you can do it, just go for it! Understand that you aren't stuck to a particular level of scaling. Just because you did BC today, doesn't mean that you can't do Puppies, Pack, or Porch tomorrow; it all depends on what workout comes up. Just subscribe to the CrossFit progression of Technique--->Consistancy--->Intensity, while getting your diet in order (Paleo/Zone) and you'll see results in no time.

- Alex
This is my first week after a few months of zero exercise (I gave up on SS in Novemberish), and the whole rhabdo thing kinda scared me, so I decided to do buttercup for a bit until my body gets used to it and I get less sore and I get the various olympic lift techniques approximately down, along with other CrossFit techniques such as pull-ups (kipping or no, I couldn't even pull off a pullup when I started, yesterday I was able to pull 1 1/2ish pullups) and tomorrow I'll find out if I can do a handstand

I plan to get Starting Strength shortly, so I can perfect my lifts as best as I can on my own. Then one day I'll go to CrossFit SF, pay that $75, and get the most I can out of that hour.

What do you think?
Old 04-20-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
Mike Onghena

Profile:

I would say do the one that you enjoy more. If you don't like doing SS, you will probably stop doing it, especially if you are not getting the gains you were hoping for. If you like crossfit, it is more likely that you will stick with it.

I wouldn't be too bothered about the micro weights. 1 lb increase a week is still 52lb increase in a year. Nothing to sneeze at. Not sure where to get them, but you can make them easy enough out of lengths of chain etc...

I don't think there is anything wrong with starting out very scaled. Just increase as you feel comfortable and safe. You are more likely to quit if you see the WOD as a 'no-possible-way' proposition. I scale like hell, otherwise I wouldn't bother. The gains may come slower that way, but they do come.

As for rhabdo, definitely read up on it a bit. There are a few exercises where it seems like it can sneak up on people unexpectedly (GHD situp for example), but I don't think it is that common for most exercises. More important for safety is proper technique, especially in your back.

My biggest problem with SS was that it was taking about 75 minutes per workout, which is a big chunk of time for me. Cf averages 25. On the other hand, there is too much outdoor stuff in Crossfit for me to do over the winter in NY. Too much sand and gunk on the roads. Too dark. So, my new plan is to do CF in spring/summer and SS in winter. I'll use daylight savings as my switchover point. At least thats the plan.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:21 AM   #7
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I think that someone that doesn't even have a BW squat has a serious lack of strength. DO GOMAD and Starting Strength. Eat alot. DOn't mess with the program. If you get bored, switch to CFSB.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #8
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
I think that someone that doesn't even have a BW squat has a serious lack of strength. DO GOMAD and Starting Strength. Eat alot. DOn't mess with the program. If you get bored, switch to CFSB.
He's nowhere near BW squat. If someone is that lacking in strength, there is most certainly other gaps in his overall fitness...CF makes you strong, too.

Stick with CrossFit, scale as necessary, increase your strength along with your other fitness parameters...when you find that strength alone is your limiting factor in doing the WODs as Rx'd, then revisit a strength program.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:26 PM   #9
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

I'm not an SS guy, but I agree with Jamie, your fitness, assuming you can walk across the street, is being held back by your strength. (I mean no harm, I do lack couth.) I would recommend a strength training program until you have gained as much strength as possible, then consider CF. I'd be willing to bet that you stall at a point where you can physically do the WODs a lot closer to rxed than now.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:36 PM   #10
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

At 130 lbs and 5'10", you're seriously underweight. That's likely to hold your strength back regardless of the program you choose. I'd suggest eating a lot more and following whichever training program you enjoy enough to keep up.

Katherine