CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-25-2007, 02:29 PM   #1
Colm O'Reilly

Profile:
Hi,

I've been turned to Crossfit a few months ago and am now a true advocate. But, considering in Ireland over half the population are overweight and 15% plus are obese how would you design a Crossfit program to suit them.

I could see how you'd develop a xfit program for the elderly and frail. Have them get up off the ground a number of times, lift milk out of the fridge, stand up from the chair, walk around the block. Essentially keep them independently living as long as possible.

But consider someone who's never even bothered to exercise and a walk for 10 minutes would leave them in the same state a tough WoD leaves most.

Do you start to develop fitness in isolated components and bring them on to Crossfit with a lot of instruction? Or do you start them on heavily modified random workouts and gradually increase intensity as they progress?

I can see Crossfit's applicability across a broad spectrum of people, I'm just curious as to how it would help those most in need of exercise.

Thanks,
Colm
Old 06-25-2007, 02:41 PM   #2
Gant Grimes

Profile:

"The CrossFit program is designed for universal scalability making it the perfect application for any committed individual regardless of experience. We’ve used our same routines for elderly individuals with heart disease and cage fighters one month out from televised bouts. We scale load and intensity; we don’t change programs.

The needs of Olympic athletes and our grandparents differ by degree not kind. Our terrorist hunters, skiers, mountain bike riders and housewives have found their best fitness from the same regimen."

Read this: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/start-how.html

If it's too much, check out simplefit, a CF primer.
http://www.simplefit.org/workout.html
Old 06-25-2007, 03:24 PM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
But, considering in Ireland over half the population are overweight and 15% plus are obese

Is that all? In the U.S.A. - where Crossfit originated - it's 65% and 31%. In comparison, the Irish are downright skinny.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:16 PM   #4
Skylar Cook

Profile:
What Lincoln said. Plus the people who are overweight or obese are not likely the ones who will want to participate in CF; and they won't give enough effort to make it worthwhile if you try to make them. Pessimistic, but true.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:19 PM   #5
Laura Rucker

Profile:
In case it was not obvious from the "degree and not kind" post above...you scale the workouts down so they can complete a workout and get some satisfaction out of it. That will keep them coming.

Many of us in the Brand X box would have been considered obese. We were also committed to sticking to the program, and too stubborn to quit, even though we could not run 400m, we walked some of it, and we couldn't jump on a box but we could step up to it and even though we could not do a pull up, we could do ring rows and jumping pull ups and work our way into them. Take me, for instance. You would not think it to look at me now. That's because it DOES work for the people you are asking about.

Scale it down and any obese or overweight or unfit person can do this. And then some.

ps: (W/F Safe) http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/viewforum.php?f=16

(Message edited by laurar on June 25, 2007)
Old 06-26-2007, 06:57 PM   #6
Rick Rakauskas

Profile:
Hiya.

Here is a link to a Universtiy of NSW study regarding high intensity exercise and fat loss. Guess what works!!!

w/f safe http://www.unsw.edu.au/news/pad/arti..._exercise.html

Cheers
Rick Rakauskas
Old 06-26-2007, 11:46 PM   #7
Colm O'Reilly

Profile:
Laura,

That was perfect, just what I was looking for, thanks!

Does Crossfit have any success stories along the lines of "I lost 100lbs in x weeks with this exercise program"

The reason I ask all of this is that Crossfit has a problem of attainability. Even amongst most active people in gyms, they don't believe they could do the workouts, or have the commitment required to pursue Crossfit. I know I didn't for a long time and I'm quite active.

Now I understand they might fail to see that if they're spending 4days in the gym, for 1.5-2 hours, they've given a significant time sacrifice to their fitness. If they were to do the WoD's, they'd spend less time in the gym, with far greater results.

Thoughts?
Old 06-27-2007, 07:42 AM   #8
David Ristau

Profile:
You can also checkout http://simplefit.org/ {w/f safe}, it was setup by a Crossfitter {sorry, don't remember his name} for just this purpose. Also, remember that Crossfit is more than just the O-lifts and pullups for time ~ its a "complete" way of approaching fitness.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:28 AM   #9
Chris Honnon

Profile:
Right on Laura!!!

I was definitely overweight if not heading down the obese trail. I have lost 20 pounds in the last two months just doing Crossfit and making small but drastic changes to my diet (as a result of doing CF).

As for the attainability, that is why I love the Brandx scaled workouts. I am able to find a scale I can "Rx" which leaves me with a decent sense of accomplishment. I still haven't completed a named WOD as Rx'd but I am progressing just fine.

Chris
Old 06-27-2007, 09:47 AM   #10
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Colm, I see where you are coming from with the intimidation factor. A lot of big dogs doing this stuff and loving it because of the intensity and toughness.

However, with the growing number of affiliates come trainers who have staked their livelihood on proving that this sort of training is for anyone who is willing to work to achieve their goals. Also, more "everybodies" like yourself will be getting amazing results after taking the plunge and will spread the word - Not of Pukie and exclusivity but of variety, accomplishment and community.

Although CrossFit is growing rapidly, compared to other fitness regimes we are still getting in at the ground floor. It's up to us to pay it forward and show others that it can help them too.

Cheers, kempie