CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-24-2005, 04:37 PM   #1
Graham Tidey

Profile:
...I really don't know what that smiley is supposed to represent.

There's a book about on Amazon called "Workouts From Boxings Greatest Champs: Get in Shape with Muhammed Ali, Fernando Vargas, Roy Jones Jr..". Despite it's lame title it's actually good, especially if you're a fight fan. And the best bit is: You can read it for free on Amazon.com! (Not .co.uk)

Search for it, or paste in the link at the bottom and then click "search inside this book". Enter Frank Bruno or Ricky Hatton or something and it shows you their routines, which is pretty interesting. Esp Hatton's.

Careful though, after so many pages it cuts you off, so be fussy with what you read.

The link is: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1569754438/ref=sib_vae_dp/102-2658 735-2960101?%5Fencoding=UTF8&no=283155&me=ATVPDKIKX0DE R&st=books
Old 06-24-2005, 10:37 PM   #2
Tom Schneitter

Profile:
Graham

Great Book but I would have liked to have seen a section for the Bronx Bull.
Workout Plan
Take several months off to booze,eat like a pig and carouse with loose women into the late hours. Begin actual training at last minute requiring excessive amounts of SPP,roadwork and hours in a sauna to lose the excess baggage to make weight.Yeah, LaMotta was a loose cannon but damn he could brawl.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:01 AM   #3
James R. Climer

Profile:
I like this book, I'm putting it on my list.

Perhaps nothing was documented from the era, but I would like to have seen a Jack Dempsey type workout, I hear he stayed in fighting shape year- round and incorporated quite a few sets of pullups into his daily regimen.

It might offer some clues as to how, by todays standards, a virtual light heavyweight was able to manhandle so many heavy and some super-heavyweights. I think Jess Willard had 60 pounds on him and towered over him in height, but Dempsey broke his cheek and jaw bones with one punch early in the fight. Talk about punching power.

Even at the ripe old age of seventy, he beat the crap out of two muggers at the same time who jumped him on the street in New York City. I wonder what his workouts were like.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:03 PM   #4
Graham Tidey

Profile:
Yeah I heard all that too. What's fing scary to me is that Marvin Haggler and Jack dempsey (or Lamotta, not sure which) are the same weight as me! Holy taste of glove batman.

I think dempsey was one of those naturally lean, metabolically gifted buggers who had the six pack and the wide shoulders just through his labouring jobs. Plus in that fight they used those pathetic light gloves they used to wear, so it was really like being punched with a bare fist. Not cool if the guy doing the punching is dempsey.

The book (which I've ordered) is really cool but doesn't have my pick of fighters in either. Hatton is a lege IMO and he has a very interesting CF-type workout where he uses a hip-high horizontal bar which he jumps over 50 times then sprints to the heavy bag, pounds that, then does 50 more jumps, etc, etc. Squats and wall ball more or less.

Also it has all the old boxing trainers misunderstandings, cliches or myths like Angelo Dundee who said, "never skip on the spot, it's bad for the heart - back and forth, side to side."

Why's there no Tyson?
Old 06-25-2005, 03:25 PM   #5
Garry Berryhill

Profile:
Not connected to Jack, but still a fantastic look at the way they trained in the Auld Days: www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/w0505-ehrmann2.html

Bad craziness. I especially like the mental image of dragging a man by a rope to build up his neck muscles.