CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-20-2007, 08:53 PM   #1
Mike Burgener

Profile:
trap bar squats

aimee anaya does the trap bar squat as part of her routine. http://www.board.crossfit.com/images.../evilsmile.gif i think this exercise is a good one to add into routines periodically. here are some other stuff we do as well.

http://mikesgym.org/gallery/video/mo...ikes%20gym.mov
Old 08-21-2007, 06:02 PM   #2
Mark Rippetoe

Profile:
Re: trap bar squats

Mike:

I have written elsewhere that I though trap bar deadlifts were stupid. The one I had in the gym "walked away" a couple of years ago, and my impression was stale. Your referring to them as a squat caused me to look at them again. As a substitute for deadlifts, I still think they are less than useful, since the top position is not locked in a stable position against the thigh. But then again, neither is the squat, and thinking about them as a squat variant actually makes more sense. The mechanics are much more similar to a squat than a pull because the weight is distributed around the center of mass of the body instead of hanging in front of it like in a pull. Like a rack squat from a low position, the trap bar squat starts in the hard position at the bottom, without the help of the stretch reflex that normally precedes the concentric in a squat, making it a good assistance movement for generating a good explosion out of the bottom.

Not applicable to the deadlift, quite applicable to the squat. So I stand corrected. Thanks.

BTW, the Hitech plates got here. Quite useful, better than the others we have. Thanks for the tip.

Rip
Old 08-21-2007, 09:23 PM   #3
Guest2

Profile:

The only issue really is the shortage of space inside the bar--she has to modify her stance somewhat by keeping the knees in more than usual. But they seem to be making her butt *** strong, and she believes they are, which in her case is worth just as much as physical improvements.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:27 AM   #4
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

Mark,
I would like to agree about viewing the trap bar from a squat perspective. A totally novice, amateur perspective that is.

A while back, when I was first making the transition off of those damn machines and onto some free weights, I saw the trap bar leaned against the corner at my local gym. I had no idea what the hell it was, but since it rollers on the end, I figured it must be some free weight deal. So I put it on the ground, put some plates on it, and guessed the exercise was to stand inside, squat down, and pick it up. Must be like barbell, but different.

Only later did I hear about "trap bar deadlifts." I guess squatting with it just makes more sense.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:42 PM   #5
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

I am way underqualified to address this issue, considering the folks who have already posted here, but what would be the difference between a trap bar deadlift (squat) and dumbbell deadlifts in effect? Especially if one stands on a box to increase the ROM? I see that there is a difference based on the fact that I can use the trap bar and go a lot heavier than d bells but it would seem the hand position etc would be similar. Just wondering
Old 08-22-2007, 03:48 PM   #6
Trevor Thompson

Profile:

The bar itself provides a stable platform for your hands to grip onto, it is 1 plane of motion instead of the 2 you would get with dumbells. A better exercise i believe, that uses 2 loads, is the double bar deadlift, a whole olypmic bar in each hand, the wrist load is much higher and thus provides benefits you cannot get with dumbells. i never did enjoy trap bars, they always felt odd, frankly they are more like machines, they are a "one size fits most" deal, the handles on all are nearly the same width, and so this mechanically is difficult for some people...my 2 cents