CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-23-2006, 11:50 AM   #1
David Mathews

Profile:
I just had surgery on my shoulder(Jan.10).I had a torn rotator cuff,torn labrum,and a bone spur,not good.Anyway the doctor told me to forget about doing HSPU's anymore.I don't like this prospect and plan on resuming them somehow,someway.Has anyone else faced this problem and how did/would you work back into doing them?
Old 02-26-2006, 06:32 PM   #2
Mark Brinton

Profile:
David,

In no way am I an expert so "salt to taste". Many years ago I had shoulder surgery to correct chronic shoulder instability (recurrent dislocations of both shoulders). Not being very informed, I just assumed that that was it for me with regard to any shoulder activity. I basically did no upper body exercise/recreation for 15 years. Well, I've been doing Crossfit for 2 months and just yesterday I kicked into my first handstand in 20 years. It felt real good. My advice would be to get very informed and, based on sound information, pursue safe, conservative shoulder rehab activity with the ultimate goal of resuming exercises like HSPUs. Prior to starting crossfit, I did do a fair amount of shoulder isolation work - seated dumbbell shoulder presses. good luck

- Mark
Old 03-01-2006, 01:24 PM   #3
Patrick Deloney

Profile:  
I had surgery on my right shoulder years ago for chronic instability. I've lived with my left shoulder rattling around in the socket for many years. It's really put a damper on my physical activity for a long time. Since I found crossfit a couple of weeks ago, my left shoulder already feels stronger from the exercises, especially the pull ups. My pull up count was zero when I started and I'm now up to 3 or 4 static pulls. All this without feeling like i'm going to leave my left arm hanging disembodied from the bar.

Go crossfit!
Old 03-09-2006, 07:02 AM   #4
Dallas Hartwig

Profile:  
David, without the specifics of your surgery, it sounds like your doc is protecting his surgery by being conservative with what he'll let you do afterwards. Depending on how stable the joint is from a capsular/ligamentous/labrum (non-muscular) perspective, you should be able to focus on a lot of rotator cuff and dynamic stabilizer strengthening and GRADUALLY work back towards HSPUs. What I'd be careful of, particularly because your shoulder is not "as good as new" anymore, is an excessively enthusiastic (i.e. fast) progression, putting you at risk for further injury. Beef up your RC and scapular musculature to a ridiculous strength, then start doing more demanding closed-chain work like HPSUs. Also, you could start the progression back to HSPUs on a Total Gym, with the slide board on a mild incline (on your belly with your head down), then progress to pushing more of your body weight as you increase the incline. Just an idea that's worked well for me with some of my patients. If you need direction for RC strengthening, get a hold of a good sports PT in your area. Best of luck.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:43 AM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Did your doctor fix your shoulder or ruin it? If he fixed it, you should be able to do MORE than before. If he ruined it, you'll be able to do LESS.

That said, it sounds like pretty serious surgery that may take a while to get back into shape.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:58 AM   #6
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
I want to second what Dallas said, It depends on the specifics, but with the right progression and enough time you should be able to. TIME is the key word as well as GRADUAL. Be patient and don't rush it, but continue to work towards it.