CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-31-2013, 01:25 PM   #11
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Re: eggs, red meat and cholesterol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janez Bobnik View Post
Hi all!
I've been trying to eat healthy for the past months (following a weight loss diet) and I've been told to eat less carbs and more protein (in addition to reduced intake of oil / fat).
My question here is about cholesterol. As I love eating eggs and even more - red meat - am I in danger of developing medical issues because of all the cholesterol intake? Red meat and eggs are rich sources of cholesterol (as far as I read). Can I have problems because of that? I eat about 300g of red meat daily and about 4 eggs every second day. Is it too much?

Thanks for replying.
Saturated fat and, to a lesser degree, dietary cholesterol both raise total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol, which increases the risk of developing cardiovascular disease. Consequently, current advice is to keep intake of both as low as possible while consuming a nutritionally adequate diet [1, 2, 3].

It's also worth noting that in addition to being a source of saturated fat and cholesterol, a high intake of red and processed meat is associated with an increased risk of colorectal cancer [1]. So you might want to consider following World Cancer Research Fund guidelines which recommend eating no more than 500g (cooked weight) of red meat per week, and avoiding processed meat [4].

1: Report of a Joint WHO/FAO Expert Consultation: Diet, Nutrition and the Prevention of Chronic Diseases.

2: Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids (Macronutrients): Chapter 8 Dietary Fats: Total Fat and Fatty Acids.

3: Dietary Reference Intakes for Energy, Carbohydrate, Fiber, Fat, Fatty Acids, Cholesterol, Protein, and Amino Acids (Macronutrients): Chapter 9 Cholesterol.

4: WCRF Cancer prevention Recommendations.

*All links wfs*
Old 11-01-2013, 06:27 AM   #12
Frank Fusco

Profile:

Red meat has been associated with increased rates of cancer but causation has not been established. There are many confounding factors and it is difficult, if not impossible, to eliminate a healthy user bias. Here is a good write up that discusses the links between red meat and cancer:

http://examine.com/faq/does-red-meat-cause-cancer.html (wfs)

To the extent red meat may be harmful, it would be due most likely to mutagens that are formed when cooking. Fortunately, there are ways to minimize their formations such as marinades and gentle cooking methods.

http://examine.com/faq/how-can-i-mak...healthier.html (wfs)

And with regard to eggs, read this:

http://examine.com/faq/will-eating-e...olesterol.html (wfs)

Quote:
"Does it increase Cholesterol?" Interventions
The answer as to whether it raises these parameters is 'it depends' - it appears to in some people, but not all.[1][2] Some people are known as 'hyperresponders' and do experience a spike in blood cholesterol, LDL, and HDL when consuming eggs.
Quote:
The answer as to whether it is a concern is 'not likely'. In those who experience spikes in LDL and cholesterol, they also experience spikes in HDL and their risks for cardiac problems does not increase.[13][1][14][15][16][17] Although in some unhealthy populations or healthy persons with low baseline fatty acid and cholesterol intake, LDL increases can exceed HDL increases; in this population, an increased risk for heart disease may be inferred but it has not been demonstrated epidemiologically.
And because saturated fat is always implicated when discussing red meat and eggs, here is a good write up of Saturated Fat:

http://examine.com/faq/is-saturated-fat-bad-for-me.html (wfs)

Some key excerpts:

Quote:
Effects on cholesterol levels
Saturated fats do increase cholesterol levels relative to polyunsaturated fats.[2][8] It should be noted that in any study done on macronutrients (fat, carbs, or protein) removal of a macronutrient must be met with inclusion of another in order to balance calories out. Many studies replace saturated fats with polyunsaturated fats, which tend to reduce cholesterol and triglyceride levels.[9][10][11][12] This may lead to the conclusion that saturated fats raise them, when the possibility that they are inert is viable.[2] Diets high in monounsaturated fats also tend to be beneficial for certain parameters of heart health.[13] It should be noted that causation has not yet been placed on cholesterol for causing heart problems, it is definitely correlated,[14][15] with the ratio of HDL cholesterol to Total cholesterol being the strongest predictor.[15]
Quote:
Hormones
Androgens
It is known that diet interacts with androgen levels (known to be related to reduced androgen concentrations in vegetarians[23] and reduced androgen levels in cohorts with lower fat intakes[24]), which is thought to be related to dietary fat since putting men on a low-fat (high fiber) diet reduces circulating androgens[25] whereas the opposite exists as well (higher fat diet at 41% of calories, with a higher intake of saturated fat, increasing testosterone).[26] The magnitude of these changes is a low fat diet reducing testosterone in older men by 12%[25] and an increase in dietary fat in young men increasing testosterone by 13%.

So, in conclusion, unless you are a hyper responder, there is no strong evidence that you should limit egg and red meat consumption. Monitor your biomarkers to make sure you are not a hyper responder, marinate and donít char your red meat, eat plenty of fruits and vegetables and you will be fine. If you want to be extra cautious limit intake of processed meat.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #13
Daniel Dean

Profile:

I eat ~30 eggs/week and ~3 lbs of beef/week, plus generous amounts of coconut products and butter. I just had my cholesterol tested for a physical two weeks ago (all results mg/dL):

TC: 161
HDL: 64
VLDL: 10
LDL: 87
Trigs: 49

Clearly I am not being negatively affected, but that is n=1 anecdotal data. Get tested (covered 100% per Obamacare).
Old 11-05-2013, 12:35 AM   #14
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

For a person that is eating healthy and is generally healthy, saturated fat nor eggs should be a problem.

But if someone is in bad shape or have some illness I accept the fact that it might make it worse. BUT! So will also other food, like carbs.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #15
Paul Glezer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janez Bobnik View Post
Thanks, will take a look.
Higher quality eggs will have a better balance of omega fats and are less likely to impact your cholesterol. The darker and deeper yellow the yolk, the better. Pasture raised free roamin chickens will be your best bet. If you can get them from a farm or something in the area, it is ideal. Also they taste better. Just my 5 cents
Old 11-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #16
Frank Pipitone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Glezer View Post
Higher quality eggs will have a better balance of omega fats and are less likely to impact your cholesterol. The darker and deeper yellow the yolk, the better. Pasture raised free roamin chickens will be your best bet. If you can get them from a farm or something in the area, it is ideal. Also they taste better. Just my 5 cents
I was going to say this. I think the quality of the eggs and meat far outweighs the question about quantity.

Grass fed and finished meat as well as eggs from free roaming chickens have significantly different nutritional profiles.

I'm not sure who came up with the marketing ploy of "from vegetarian fed hens" but it is genius.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #17
Jeremy Schultz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
For a person that is eating healthy and is generally healthy, saturated fat nor eggs should be a problem.

But if someone is in bad shape or have some illness I accept the fact that it might make it worse. BUT! So will also other food, like carbs.
This is one of the points that seems, for me, to make most of the "established" science of heart disease and blood cholesterol associated with saturated fat and dietary cholesterol questionable.

This is of course anecdotal, but an older lady that I work with had a dangerously high blood triglyceride count that she lowered, completely back into the normal range, by doing nothing different other than cutting out full-sugar soda.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #18
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

I can't believe some of the post I read...

Really this is what the board has come to?

I saw 2 posts suggesting and warning AGAINST eggs and meat because of "studies" ?

Really? This is more than an old myth and it shouldn't be spread on those boards

This subject has been beaten to death literally thousands of times on those boards, and there's a multitude of outside reference with new studies ( and much much much much much more scientific(er) and rigorous protocols..........) pointing on how wrong this whole cholesterol thing is sooooo false and wrongly spread

Someone posted a link to Chris Kessler (spealing?) website which will give a good overview on the more serious and better studies...

Just look around, Whole30 will have good information for you, Robb Wolf, even the a bit less scientific and self proclaimed expert Mark's Daily apple will be able to shed more and more light on this atrocity of theory ( By the way , much love to Mark's Daily apple)

I have countless of examples of athletes that regularly eat dozens of eggs, devour red meat like no tomorrow that have optimal bio-markers ( followed regularly with full blood tests each couple of months)

Don't believe the Hype....

Do your research....

Never take something as is.... (even my post! Challenge it, gather more knowledge, understand and from there make your own educated choices )
Old 11-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #19
Jeremy Schultz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederic Giraud View Post
I can't believe some of the post I read...

Really this is what the board has come to?

I saw 2 posts suggesting and warning AGAINST eggs and meat because of "studies" ?

Really? This is more than an old myth and it shouldn't be spread on those boards

This subject has been beaten to death literally thousands of times on those boards, and there's a multitude of outside reference with new studies ( and much much much much much more scientific(er) and rigorous protocols..........) pointing on how wrong this whole cholesterol thing is sooooo false and wrongly spread

Someone posted a link to Chris Kessler (spealing?) website which will give a good overview on the more serious and better studies...

Just look around, Whole30 will have good information for you, Robb Wolf, even the a bit less scientific and self proclaimed expert Mark's Daily apple will be able to shed more and more light on this atrocity of theory ( By the way , much love to Mark's Daily apple)

I have countless of examples of athletes that regularly eat dozens of eggs, devour red meat like no tomorrow that have optimal bio-markers ( followed regularly with full blood tests each couple of months)

Don't believe the Hype....

Do your research....

Never take something as is.... (even my post! Challenge it, gather more knowledge, understand and from there make your own educated choices )
While I agree with you, it's difficult to be shocked why someone still believes in the Saturated Fat-CVD link, considering that it's been crammed down our throats for at least 40-some years.

Last edited by Jeremy Schultz; 11-09-2013 at 03:37 PM..