CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #21
Frank Pipitone

Profile:
Re: Lower Back Pain?

So I have been to the chiropractor twice now. I have noticed that my back was feeling great just before going to chiro. Not 100%, but using the foundation methods, I felt that I was on the way to feeling much better.

Sad part is both times I left the chiropractor, I feel like it has set me back. The chiro seemed to make my back worse both times where now I feel I need another week to feel better. He is doing ultra sound, muscle stimulation and a slight adjustment. Needless to say, I'm not going back. I will be sticking with the foundation exercises.

Anyone else have thoughts on this? Is it normal to have setbacks when visiting a chiropractor in order to see long term improvement. I don't think I could do it again.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #22
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Pipitone View Post
So I have been to the chiropractor twice now. I have noticed that my back was feeling great just before going to chiro. Not 100%, but using the foundation methods, I felt that I was on the way to feeling much better.

Sad part is both times I left the chiropractor, I feel like it has set me back. The chiro seemed to make my back worse both times where now I feel I need another week to feel better. He is doing ultra sound, muscle stimulation and a slight adjustment. Needless to say, I'm not going back. I will be sticking with the foundation exercises.

Anyone else have thoughts on this? Is it normal to have setbacks when visiting a chiropractor in order to see long term improvement. I don't think I could do it again.
Go here,
http://www.livetheactivelife.com/ WFS

He co-owns an affiliate(CrossFit King of Island Park) with a good friend of mine. They will take very good care of you. If what you said was done at the doctor both times; it doesn't sound like the person you need to be working with.

Good luck!
Old 09-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #23
Frank Pipitone

Profile:

Thanks Brian. I will look into that.

Went to workout today. Spoke to coach who said he had very similar symptoms to mine and it was not his back, but rather his hips. I am going to look into that as well.

Did very, very light weight today on snatches, cleans and deadlifts. No ill effects so far. Felt good to just be back, even if I hardly broke a sweat.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #24
Scott Kraatz

Profile:

Frank,

I was having pretty much exactly the same issue. No pain, just an uncomfortable tightness. I too stumbled upon Foundation Training (wfs: http://foundationTraining.com ). I saw a Ted talk the guy behind FT gave. It seemed to be exactly what I was looking for.

I started Foundation Training in February this year and had immediate results. I enjoyed the benefits so much I do Foundation Training 5-6 days a week.

Have you gotten the book or DVD? I highly recommend it (check Amazon for a better price). Both contain a few really good workouts. Also, try this one from their website if you haven't, it's called the Brutal 12 (wfs: http://foundationtraining.com/video/...ng_12_minutes/) They have a new book and DVD coming out soon.

No only has Foundation Training helped with my back issue it's also an incredible posterior chain strength developer. ALL of my CrossFit exercises have gotten better. My lift numbers have gone up too.

I use their Athlete's Warmup before just about every WOD and strength session I do.

I cannot recommend Foundation Training more.

Best of luck,

Scott
Old 10-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #25
Frank Pipitone

Profile:

Scott,

Thanks for the reply. I purchased the book on my kindle and I am still on the first two weeks. I am following it by the numbers even though I could probably do some more advanced stuff.

I saw results from it within literally two sessions. I would recommend it to anyone also. This is definitely something I will continue using. I have sinced watched all their videos on youtube but I did not see the brutal 12 one you posted.

I would say another benefit of this is that I am so conscious of my posture and the way I bend down now. I am constantly hip hinging even when not necessary.

I'm going to look into incorporating this on the days I wod.

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2013, 08:50 PM   #26
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Pipitone View Post
Scott,

I am constantly hip hinging even when not necessary.
When would this not be necessary?
Old 10-03-2013, 07:03 AM   #27
Scott Kraatz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
When would this not be necessary?
So true.

I think that puts a spotlight on the real problem; many people (including myself) were never conscious of our poor movement patterns, which we have developed after years and years. We don't know what good, natural movement patterns are. Once we identify them, it's hard to relearn how to do almost everything.

It's one thing to learn when working out (although that can take time, especially those of us who train at home). It's a completely different thing to apply these correct movement patterns in our daily life. (But that is the point of training in the gym, a controlled environment; that we ingrain these patterns and repeat without conscious thought.)

It's taken me a good amount of time to apply good movement patterns to my daily life. I'm still learning. Many people have become accustomed to bending at the back to pick something very light off the floor, to put on our shoes, washing dishes... etc.

I've become a people watcher after my years of doing CrossFit and I see both ends of the spectrum. I see athletes with bad movement patterns. I see overweight people with excellent movement patterns.

Movement is life.

Last edited by Scott Kraatz; 10-03-2013 at 07:05 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 10-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #28
Brian Strump

Profile:

Without trying to sound creepy; watch young children move. They don't know what a hip hinge is, yet that's how they bend at the hips. You don't need to tell them to squat below parallel when they bend to pick something up. They squat and can hang out down there as long as they want without straining.

Introduce them to a chair, and don't allow them to be active; and we develop horrible moving adults. Saddest part is most don't even realize it. It's like riding in a car with all tires wobbling, and you keep driving with total disregard to the impending doom of the car.

When we teach Day 2 of the On Ramp(KBS and deadlifts); before members touch anything; they are taught the importance of the hip hinge, and how to properly do so.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:03 AM   #29
Scott Kraatz

Profile:

So true, Brian.

I've got a 3, 5, and 8 year old. I seen the difference once they start school. I didn't know better for the oldest so I'm trying to correct him now while he's still young. I'm trying to work with 5 year old to prevent it from happening (it's already starting a bit) and I just want to stop time for the 3 year old because he moves perfectly.

I've got all three "training" (moving and having fun) with a little CrossFit Kids and I've started them on Foundation Training.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #30
Frank Pipitone

Profile:

I definitely have learned so much from the foundation program. I'm only a couple of weeks into it and I have to say that I am almost back to 100%. It's incredible that just three weeks ago I could barely walk and I am now back to working out on my normal schedule at almost 100%. I have been scaling down on certain things, but for the most part, I'm feeling healthy and confident. I am definitely going to continue with this program for maintenance.

Oh, and here is a pic of my 2 year old trying to clean a pumpkin. How's his form?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131006_104734.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	12937