CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-20-2013, 03:21 AM   #11
Frank Pipitone

Profile:
Re: Lower Back Pain?

Thank you everyone. I found an excellent chiro in my area that deals specifically with fitness and weightlifting types of injuries and issues. I am going to start there and see what he says.

It has been 11 days since I worked out and I have just been resting. The last two days, I have felt ever so slightly better. Just did a short WOD in my basement rowing, situps, air squats and burpees. I felt ridiculously tight all over....legs, arms, hips, etc. No back pain though, although it did feel tight.

I'll keep this thread updated for anyone else going through something similar.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:20 AM   #12
Frank Pipitone

Profile:

Have an appointment with chiro tonight. He was actually a competitive lifter at one point. Should be helpful...we shall see.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #13
Namir Yedid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Pipitone View Post
Thanks! I just wanted to amend this thread as I think I may have wrongly categorized what I have as "pain." It's really more "tightness" that I feel when getting up from sitting and at random times. I never really feel "pain."

I know I should see a doctor, but since I'm not in actual pain, I'm thinking of resting a full two weeks and reassessing.
Pain manifests differently for different people. Back pain is especially hard to categorize. When I was dealing with my back injury, I would often describe it to my physical therapist as stiffness, tightness, etc. The sensation of "pain" is subjective, but you have some stuff going on with your lower back, and as other have stated, getting checked out is good.

This will undoubtedly be a controversial statement on here, but I'm a big proponent of getting imaging done (X-rays and MRI) if you can afford it/insurance covers it. Chiropractic can certainly help, but if you're having persistent issues, knowing what you are dealing with is really helpful and can be the difference between guesswork and a clear plan/approach. Of course, injuries and healing are different from everyone, but I really, really believe that knowing what the injury actually is can make a big difference in your recovery. Good luck. It's a long road but you'll recover.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #14
Frank Pipitone

Profile:

Went to Chiro and he said it is probably just a strain and compression since there is very little pain and nothing going on in my leg to accompany the back issues. This chiro actually trains olympic lifts at my box.

He gave me an Rx for an x-ray and I will probably do that just to cover myself.

BTW, I followed Brook's suggestion above and looked into foundation training. One day of their program and I swear, my back feels so much better. I was actually shocked. I'm going to keep up the foundation training, get the x-ray and get back to working out minus heavy lifting and see where it goes.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #15
Chris Mason

Profile:

Inflammation due to overuse in my opinion.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #16
Frank Pipitone

Profile:

Got x-rays today and will bring them to the chiro on Friday to see what's up. Pain has subsided and it is feeling better. Still concerned though. I don't think I'd be able to lift with a clear head right now.

Does a severe back strain take weeks to heal or days? I'm going on almost three weeks at this point and I see improvement, but it's slow.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #17
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

Frank,

Are you icing and using an anti-inflammatory after stretching (after a workout)? If not, I would start...it will help your recovery for sure.

I don't want to scare you but I think it is smart to take it slow. As I mentioned, my "strain" was the early sign of bulging discs or a minor herniation. I had no numbness whatsoever. I went back at it and ruptured my L4/5. That was 7 weeks ago...I am still regaining strength in my leg and have numbness in my shin. Yes, my signs are now all showing nerve issues so I knew I had screwed up bad...

As to how long it takes? I don't know...I asked the same questions of my doc today and he said "take it slow and listen to your body". I wanted to tell him patience is not my strong suit but thought better of it

The x-ray won't really show the disc issues...if the problem persists, get the MRI so you know.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #18
Frank Pipitone

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Plomchok View Post
Frank,

Are you icing and using an anti-inflammatory after stretching (after a workout)? If not, I would start...it will help your recovery for sure.

I don't want to scare you but I think it is smart to take it slow. As I mentioned, my "strain" was the early sign of bulging discs or a minor herniation. I had no numbness whatsoever. I went back at it and ruptured my L4/5. That was 7 weeks ago...I am still regaining strength in my leg and have numbness in my shin. Yes, my signs are now all showing nerve issues so I knew I had screwed up bad...

As to how long it takes? I don't know...I asked the same questions of my doc today and he said "take it slow and listen to your body". I wanted to tell him patience is not my strong suit but thought better of it

The x-ray won't really show the disc issues...if the problem persists, get the MRI so you know.
Thank you for this advice Glenn. I have never iced a body part as I have never felt the need.

I'm glad you posted this because I am "in a rush" to get back but after reading this, I feel like I need to really, really listen to what my body is telling me. Yes, I could probably go back tomorrow, but who knows what could happen. I'd rather take four or five more weeks and then see how I feel. I've done stupid things before, but I feel like this time, I need to be rational.

My chiropractor said that this could just be my body's way of telling me that I needed a break. Sounds fair. Heeding advice body.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #19
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

I do suggest you keep moving and mobilizing but just take it easy. I am in the gym 3 days a week or so and have been since I injured my back. I am just now starting to do some lunge and air squat work. I have worked around my back and have been doing lots of bodyweight work, planks and bike work for cardio. It has helped me I think...my goal right now is a strict muscle up. It is close but it gives me something to focus on other than squats or Oly lifts.

I am no doc...so others may chime in but FOR ME, it has always been best to warm up the area that is hurting (say low back...via hot shower), stretch, ice and take a good dose of anti-inflammatory a couple times a day.

Hope you feel better soon.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:11 AM   #20
SP

Profile:  

3x10 back extensions after every session.