CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
Frank Pipitone

Profile:
Lower Back Pain?

Not sure if this is the right section to post this so feel free to move if not.

I have been doing crossfit for almost two years now injury free. Over the previous few weeks I started to feel a tightness in my lower back. NOthing bad, but I just felt I needed extra stretching. It has progressively gotten worse to the point that I have stopped training for the past week as I do not want to injure myself.

I'm pretty sure I made it worse doing heavy deadlifts as part of a WOD two weeks ago.

It is not bad pain, just serious tightness and like a "dull aching" sensation. I sometimes find it hard to get up from a crouch fast and need to straighten up slowly.

I'm lost what to do as I have never dealt with any type of injury or pain before when working out. Should I work through it or rest? Any suggestions would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
Frank Pipitone

Profile:
Re: Lower Back Pain?

Sorry, this should be in the "injuries" section.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #3
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

What did your doctor have to say?

- Mark
Old 09-17-2013, 04:35 AM   #4
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

Mark's question is 100% valid. Go ask a doc and see what they think. Most times, x-rays or an MRI is the only way to tell the story.

I have back issues from years ago. CF helped strengthen the area for sure but I would get muscle strains in low back maybe 3-4 times a year while trainin. about 6 weeks ago this happened and I kept re-straining it. Well, I got impatient went back to my heavy squats and blew out my L4/5 and have a bulging disc above it. I have had muscle loss, strength loss and numbness in my lower left leg for over a month. It is slowly getting better but it will be a long road to recovery.

Bottom line, don't mess around with this. Get it checked out so you know.

Glenn
Old 09-17-2013, 05:02 AM   #5
Frank Pipitone

Profile:

Thanks guys. What type of doctor would you recommend? A Chiropractor? An Orthopedic? I am one of those people who really tries to avoid doctors. I had a slight case of Carpal Tunnel a few years back. Doctor was insistent on surgery. I refused and literally found some rehab videos on youtube that cured me.

I will get an opinion though, just not sure what type of doc to see?
Old 09-17-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

We have a chiro at my box who is big into soft/deep tissue work so I saw him first (a lot of muscle work, very little adjusting) and he then referred me to an ortho. We got the MRI before going to the ortho so we knew what we were dealing with.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Start with a Radiologist.

As in an X-Ray. Doctors want to fix things and take action. It is also how they get paid.

What you need to know first is did you do any structural damage.

Radiologist take pictures and read results. They don't treat so they are less likely to want to launch into some course of action. You don't have to see a regular doctor first. You can go straight to a Radiologist.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
Frank Pipitone

Profile:

Thanks! I just wanted to amend this thread as I think I may have wrongly categorized what I have as "pain." It's really more "tightness" that I feel when getting up from sitting and at random times. I never really feel "pain."

I know I should see a doctor, but since I'm not in actual pain, I'm thinking of resting a full two weeks and reassessing.

Is stretching recommended?
Old 09-19-2013, 02:34 AM   #9
Brook Ferguson

Profile:

http://foundationtraining.com/ (wfs)

helped me soooo much.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:02 AM   #10
Steven Wingo

Profile:

There are several different types of medical professionals you can see for an evaluation. My job is helping people with injuries, quite often low back injuries, and I get to see results from lots of different providers. Clients also look to me to recommend health care providers for them.

If you haven't healed up after a few days with rest, I would suggest seeing a good chiropractor if you know of one. When it comes to the spine they are very knowledgeable. Some people talk poorly of them, and there are some negatives, but if you go to a good one then they will know the spine and its problems really, really well--better than most docs who focus on doing knee or hip replacements that is for sure. Good ones will take x-rays on your first visit for a new condition and will also quickly recognize, within a few visits if not before then, if your condition is one which calls for MRIs or referral to another type of health care provider.

Other options are to see a physical therapist or physiotherapist if you know one personally (otherwise they likely need an authorization and order to treat you from another doctor if you are in the U.S.). You'd be surprised a good massage therapist can often remedy these things, although you won't get the x-ray and some of the higher level evaluation. But they are often a good place to start if the pain isn't too bad.

I recently tweaked my back doing single arm dumbbell snatches during a workout. Toward the end of the workout I could tell I was hurt and could barely walk for the next 12 hours it hurt so bad. I went to a chiro friend, he x-rayed it and diagnosed the problem (a rotated vertebrae causing some nerve impingement), and I felt 50% better after the first treatment. After the 3rd, less than a full week after the initial problem, I was 100%. This was after an injury which had me scared I had blown and disk and was headed for long term problems. Those 3 visits were also a whole lot cheaper and quicker than getting an MRI done.

Last edited by Steven Wingo; 09-19-2013 at 03:04 AM..